F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P 7 Bumper-less Grille Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

So should we be using the angle sensors that are correct for the front bar instead of the rear straight senors?

Old 11-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to say however you do it altering the position of the front sensors sends the system crazy!

Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
So should we be using the angle sensors that are correct for the front bar instead of the rear straight senors?
That is what I will be using.

Originally Posted by myer
Sorry to say however you do it altering the position of the front sensors sends the system crazy!
There has to be a solution for that, which I believe one or two people have found. My finger is now sufficiently healed for me to ponder launching on this project again.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That is what I will be using.

There has to be a solution for that, which I believe one or two people have found. My finger is now sufficiently healed for me to ponder launching on this project again.
Lance, surely the work involved is not all that heavy or labour intensive and you could put SWMBO (AKA the better half) onto it while you sit back with a six-pack and supervise? Although I guess that could incur a heavy cost in favours owed!

Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought people that have done this had that issue resolved?

Old 11-29-2017, 12:51 PM
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I can definitely say that I have no errors of the sensors after the conversion!

Old 11-29-2017, 05:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello All,

New to forum but have been lurking for most of year. Owned my car since April this year. First job was always getting rid of bumper bar. This is the Paramount version. Looks great & draws lots of positive attention. As others have found, the sensors do not work properly. I’ve no problem with this as the car only used at weekend & parking in tight spaces a non-issue. However, I have also purchased a genuine P7 grill & will get this fitted in future along with working sensors.

The stickered number plate is a bit ‘marmite’. Funny as most haters are fellow F-Type owners. Others seem to love it. I certainly do. A nod to the E-Type, especially in UK & a bit maverick!

Interested in everyone’s thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails P 7 Bumper-less Grille Installed-9944ab1b-8bb0-457b-adce-6131751d3283.jpeg  
Old 11-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Lance, surely the work involved is not all that heavy or labour intensive and you could put SWMBO (AKA the better half) onto it while you sit back with a six-pack and supervise? Although I guess that could incur a heavy cost in favours owed!
uhhh...not gonna happen. Whenever the F-Type becomes the focus, my beautiful bride of 40 years just rolls her eyes and walks away.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So to bring this thread back to life....

What is everyone doing to solve the parking sensors issue? How is everyone mounting the sensors? Are we reusing the stock front sensors?

A friend of mine (parts guy) has the P7surround and grille on order for me but if I can't come up with a solution for mounting the sensors I won't even be attempting the install.

Paramount messaged me and said some of their customers are using wind screen? Seems to flimsy to me.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of a PVC solution.

Last edited by jrodrg; 02-03-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:13 AM

You need access to a 3d printer. The dimensions are here in the thread for the adapter and a guide too. The parking sensors are also part number here in the thread. Let the sensors then connect by a skilled worker and then everything should work ...

The following users liked this post:
mshedden (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Has anyone tried this on an SVR bumper? Wonder if that will be too much "openness" and turn my car into a bass fish?

Old 02-04-2018, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by jrodrg
So to bring this thread back to life....

What is everyone doing to solve the parking sensors issue? How is everyone mounting the sensors? Are we reusing the stock front sensors?

A friend of mine (parts guy) has the P7surround and grille on order for me but if I can't come up with a solution for mounting the sensors I won't even be attempting the install.

Paramount messaged me and said some of their customers are using wind screen? Seems to flimsy to me.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of a PVC solution.

Forget the idea unless you want to forgo the front sensors.

I had an expert attempt to install front sensors utilising the original sensors using the mounts that Kajo (the guy that replied to your post) supplied.

All that I got was a series of false alerts, it sort of works but not really! If you want to be absolutely certain that the sensors operate as per factory standard forget the whole idea, they won't.

Take it from a guy who doesn't normally give up, I will not accept sensors that I cannot rely on.

As I said either forget the front sensors as per the P7 I wonder why Jaguar didn't install them??? They have rear sensors. Simple answer they DO NOT WORK!!

jrodrg (02-05-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Meister_Kajo
You need access to a 3d printer. The dimensions are here in the thread for the adapter and a guide too. The parking sensors are also part number here in the thread. Let the sensors then connect by a skilled worker and then everything should work ...

They do not work correctly np matter what you do. I wonder why Jaguar didn't offer them on the P7? After all it has rear sensors!

Old 02-04-2018, 06:07 AM

I can not say why the sensors do not work for you. All I can say is that I have been riding the P7 front for seven months and have NEVER had any problems with the front parking sensors.

The conversion made with me an original Jaguar dealer ...

Who else in the thread has problems or who is working?

jrodrg (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Forget the idea unless you want to forgo the front sensors.

I had an expert attempt to install front sensors utilising the original sensors using the mounts that Kajo (the guy that replied to your post) supplied.

All that I got was a series of false alerts, it sort of works but not really! If you want to be absolutely certain that the sensors operate as per factory standard forget the whole idea, they won't.

Take it from a guy who doesn't normally give up, I will not accept sensors that I cannot rely on.

As I said either forget the front sensors as per the P7 I wonder why Jaguar didn't install them??? They have rear sensors. Simple answer they DO NOT WORK!!

Good to know.

Mabe its the position of the sensors? Are our US cars different than the EU cars? Something in the ECU?

When you say fault is there an indicator on the screen/ dash? Are they constantly going off while driving? I don't mind possibly disabling the front sensors but will mind constantly seeing a fault on the system while driving.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, there must be a 'scientific' reason why relocated sensors don't work for at least one person - and it must be possible to figure it out.

For example - do the sensors work 'in stereo' and require a precise distance between them that the computer uses to 'triangulate' distance or some such, and will only work if installed precisely the same spacing as stock?

Or do they require some sort of calibration?

jrodrg (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I used original sensors, placed them at approximately the same position on the new grille as they were in the old bumper and have had no errors and they have worked perfectly for the past year and a half.

jrodrg (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

The sensors aren't that sophisticated nor do they know what grill you are using! ;-) I suspect those having problems have the sensors recessed into the grill and that's causing some false alarms.

Dave

mshedden (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
The sensors aren't that sophisticated nor do they know what grill you are using! ;-) I suspect those having problems have the sensors recessed into the grill and that's causing some false alarms.

Dave
you’re right. These sensors aren’t that complex. They work essentially like sonar does, and have very specific cones of vision. If you put something in that cone of vision they will alarm you constantly. If you recess them too much they won’t alarm you soon enough. These are the main things to consider when placing them.

There is software calibration for these systems but it’s mostly based on false detection prevention and distance; so if you placed them properly it wouldn’t make much of a difference. They are only mildly sensitive.

DPelletier (02-05-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 12:58 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier

Dave
It would be helpful if we could get side by side close-up pictures of the different mountings from both owners that claim no issues and owners that have had problems so we can visually assess the difference in mounting positions and depth.

JgaXkr (02-06-2018)

Quick Reply: P 7 Bumper-less Grille Installed