F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P-Zero Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Why would you knowingly trust your life to cheap Chinese tires??

The following users liked this post:
Island Maser (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 09:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Please go into more detail regarding horrible handling. Rides good. Seem very predictable sliding on my worn rears. I just had the new ones installed and cars rides like butter. Doesn't seem to follow grooves or pull etc. Front is not nervous at all and seems very well planted. My Maserati on MPSS if much more nervous and darty than the Jag. Going only 10,000 miles a set is an issue but curious when people say poor handling tire. When I hear or see that it is normally car related and not tires. Balance, bent rims, alignment, wheel bearing, ball joints, tie rod ends etc. My car had a strange vibration. When I replaced the rear this week and I had them rebalance the fronts to using a road force balancing. It but a load on the tires exactly how they would be on the road with the weight of the car. Fronts were not right. Had new rears on the car but the front now feels much smoother and better planted. It was off and it would have been easy to blame the tires. They added weight and moved them to a different position. The guy who did my tires was Master Certified. Jag dealer had did the tire swap on my cars front tires. "These tires and wheels were not load balanced. Most dealer have a basic tire machine as the Hunter Load Balance units are very expensive. We only have them in certain stores where we do more high end cars and large wheels which are tougher to balance depending on where they are made. Some rims and tires are so bad new they can't be properly balanced".

Old 03-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I like the Continentals, run them on my other Jaguar. P-Zero was the only tire available within a reasonable period of time when I replaced them on my F-Type late last year.
Stop doing donuts in the parking lot and burn-outs in Launch-mode and your times will last longer.
And a day at the track definitely kills them. That's a good problem to have.

Uncle Fishbits (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why bother to switch sides? How much difference will this make?

Uncle Fishbits (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:25 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by mxsailor
Why bother to switch sides? How much difference will this make?
None unless your alignment's out.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I am not defensive, but what if it isn't fanboy-ism, vs collective awareness? I mean, there's not *that* many tire options, and it's easy to vet and choose, and almost all publications have rec'd the SS4S. It could just be that it's the best option, and people have had bad experiences with other tires... so maybe it's less about the Michelin, and more about warning against other tires? I mean, I'd take a better tire than the michelin, but I even had a blow out in Tahoe and had to install a Continental and that tire runs rougher on my front driver side.

What I don't get is why pubs are rec'ing what seems an obviously dangerous tire, to some degree. Okay hyperbolic drama here....

I GUARANTEE you the concern of the V8's RWD vs power/handling was completely attributable to the P-Zeros (is that why they ended the RWD in the US?). I don't get why they are stock. Something is fishy with them... they're supposed to be using the most complex and highest grade rubber, synthetics, and polymers and all that... but it wears like butter, it rides like a cow, and on new concrete with a thin layer of new rain you might as well be on an ice rink. I'm only passionate about this because I came from 20 years in a 4cyl 4x4, and my initial experience with the car was wild. Switching to Michelin solved quick wear, hard ride, and now I don't fall off a damned cliff when pressing the pedal into a turn. LOL =) No doubt a Pirelli will own a motorcycle track, but something seems so odd and off with those P-Zeros. Anyone even know why they come on the F-Type?

However, I'm obviously Out of the Loop! I just saw our 2021 have no v6 option ? 4cyl or 8cyl only, and the RWD is back? I am lost! (I am not dumb, that was literally in an article. LOL) Okay so SVR got axed. And they mucked up the badging again with a 6cy "R"??

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 03-25-2021 at 11:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
ferrral (03-25-2021), Mbourne (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have kumho ecsta vr rated and am very pleased with them and Yokohama’s on front

Originally Posted by eeeeek
While I agree that the cult of Michelin is strong, I am not a member. If anything, I am a member of the Pirelli fanboy club due to years of Road Racing motorcycles on Dunlop, Michelin and Pirelli. Pirelli got me championships. I have Pirelli hats, shirts, jackets, plaques, patches, stickers, etc. I will not run P-Zeros on my car.

I don't base this off well worn tires compared to new. I noticed grip problems with the P-Zeros very early on and finally switched them at 7500 miles, still a long way from being worn out. I still have them on the stock wheels sitting in my garage. I replaced them with Falkens, which I took all the way to the wear indicators. The Falkens never lost grip the way the P-Zeros did early on. I have since replaced the Falkens with Bridgestones. The Falkens were very grippy and quite affordable, but I need more than 13,000 miles out of a set of tires.
I have kumho ecsta Vr rated on the rear and Yokohama’s on the front

Old 03-25-2021, 06:17 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

the handling was the problem not wear. I changed mine to Michelin long before they were worn out in order ro save my life.

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
So having read about how poorly the OEM P-Zeros wear, I had considered rotating them by turning them to opposite side and reversing inside/outside on the wheels.
This would have maintained the direction of rotation. But, yesterday I noticed that the tires actually have a stamp that indicates "outside".
So, does this mean that these tires can never be rotated?

Old 03-25-2021, 11:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure I'd call my self a Michelin fanboy, but I like them. On my XK I have Pilot Sport A/S. Quiet and all around great. I also like Michelins on my truck. But Nokians for winter!
Had Continentals on my wife's Cady. They got loud and hard. She loves the PS A/S for summer and again Nokians for winter.
P.S. XK doesn't get to see snow.