F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P300 : Vibration around 1400rpm.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts
Default P300 : Vibration around 1400rpm.

I had this irritating buzzing vibration when changing down gears and leaning into a curve. We noticed it at around 1300rpm every time.

Later we also heared it at higher revs . I reported it in march before the first service, but they couldn't trace it or even hear it they said.

I pointed out the vibration in the roadmovie I did from our alpine tour, and the guys at the dealers started to hear it also when I did not tell them.

So two months ago I booked it in for trouble shooting, thinking it was somewhere in the dashboard as I heared it loudest in the dashcam recordings,
in the middle on top of the dashboard. They had the car for two weeks while I was in Portugal, but they didn't find a lead then.
They were getting really upset about the noise, almost working like the proverbial finger to them "..you-can-not-solve-this.." .

Its back in the shop since last week. They started with taking the centre console out and it became louder. They took the whole dashboard out and it
became louder. With an optical fibre cam they found a vibrating plate. The removed it, but the plate was only a result of the vibration not the source.

They then removed a bracket from under the car and fixed it more secure.. .. no result. Now they took the front windshield out and the noise is pretty loud.. ...

The mechanic mentioned he could generate the sound standing still and revving the engine.. ..which made me think.

Revving the engine tilts it. Changing down gears and braking on the engine tilts it... .. both pointing to the same thing : engine mounts.

Then I thought : take a look at the XE forum as the enginium engine has been around before the P300 in the XE..

There I found two threads about the subject. One about a disconntected vacuum tube [ I didn't even know the dampers were active !],
the other started with 'not the engine mounts' , but eventually they were at fault.

So I flagged the garage to check if the mounts are the same partnumber and to check the vacuumline..

To be continued....

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 04:45 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Be interested in the cause and solution, would be shocked if engine mounts are the cause as I believe your F type isn't that old ?

Old 10-10-2019, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member

The car is from april 9th 2018, 26.000km. Now 27.000km with their testing I guess..
It could be as simple as a detached vacuum tube.

There is a known issue [ 2016] with other Jaguar models with the same ingenium engine, but that occurs at idling.
But then the F-Type didn't have that engine yet.

" ..Topix SSM72758 references
Issue: Excessive vibration of vehicle and exhaust system when stationary at idle
Cause: Engine mount not switching into idle condition references faulty hoses to engine mounts..."

Update :
Just discussed it with the head mechanic. These mounts are only for diesel engines.. ..not the P300.

They will punt my car back together. The vibration is somewhere in a structural beam underneath the windshield.
Next step.. ... JLR will let me know.

Last edited by Dan_NL; 10-10-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Sorry to hear about your hassles. Ask for a buy-back or factory exchange. Also, if you are asking for a factory exchange, maybe you could ask for V6 or V8 to compensate you for your hassle? I am not sure about tax situation in Netherlands, but ask your accountant about tax-free exchanges.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

@SinF
Thanks. I do not know what JLR will propose. I have a longstanding friendly relation with the dealer and most staff.
Client since 2010, 3rd car.

In the Netherlands we suffer from "CO2" tax, just a reason to squeeze more money from the taxpayers. So a V6 or V8 factory new is not going to happen.
For me its sad as I bought the car as a future family heritage to pass on to my son. We did 3 weeks / 7500km alpine tour with it this spring.

Sofar 26.000 km , most of it with my son. My wife isn't very keen on it.

Most likely the will either pay some kind of financial compensation for the noise, or give a credit on a to buy other car, I have to wait and see.
Honestly I do not know what I want, except for getting wrid of the noise. But eg filling the beam with foam is no an option I will agree to.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Dan,
Check the bolts for the bracing struts between the fenders and the firewall (top of engine bay). A number of us have had those come loose to cause clanking and vibrations. A simple DIY fix if that's the cause.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

@Unhingd
Thanks for the info , but I don't think I have such struts. Its a humble P300, not a V8...
Its now at the dealers, hope to collect it tomorrow evening.

By then I will have a look in the engine bay and check, just in case..

Old 10-10-2019, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@Unhingd
Thanks for the info , but I don't think I have such struts. Its a humble P300, not a V8...
Its now at the dealers, hope to collect it tomorrow evening.

By then I will have a look in the engine bay and check, just in case..
Dan,
All of the F-Types have that bracing. It's called the "rear brace" (rear of engine compartment).It's part of the body structure, regardless of engine type. There's one on each side.

The problem may also be a poorly adjusted bonnet latch.

That's not a tightening nut, but rather an adjusting nut (twist counter clockwise to tighten latch).

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-10-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

@Unhingd
Thanks, you are obviously better informed. Since I have many more years of guarantee I never bother to look in the engine bay.
As long as it goes, its fine with me..

I used to be a DIY guy. But I'm not willing to dig into electronics so nowadays I stay away.

Good points you make. I will ask the mechanic to check and I'll check it myself when I am back home with the car.

Checked both leads, no joy !

Last edited by Dan_NL; 10-11-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

The mechanics discovered play on the servo end of the lever operating the wastegate : faulty bearing in the rotating fixture.

Turns out a know issue at idle speed. Since my car didn't rattle at idle, they didn't consider it..

Old 10-11-2019, 03:21 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Glad they figured it out! I have the 250HP Ingenium in my XE (which I assume is same engine, different tune), so it's good to know about this stuff.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

The mechanics discovered play on the servo end of the lever operating the wastegate : faulty bearing in the rotating fixture.

Turns out a know issue at idle speed. Since my car didn't rattle at idle, they didn't consider it..

So...not an issue for the V engine cars.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
So...not an issue for the V engine cars.
It never was ; the thread starts with "P300..".

Old 10-12-2019, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member

Thinking about a tiny piece of metal, vibrating.. ..transferring this small impuls through the inertia of the lump, through dampers to the inside of the cabin space..

Seems unlikely on second thought..

Old 10-12-2019, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Thinking about a tiny piece of metal, vibrating.. ..transferring this small impuls through the inertia of the lump, through dampers to the inside of the cabin space..

Seems unlikely on second thought..
Two words - resonant frequency.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Two words - resonant frequency.
Would be valid if the resonance was persistant. But here its to short to 'couple' to other 'bodies'.

Its audible for 10 to 20 seconds only.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

It never was ; the thread starts with "P300..".
Aware of that, but just expressing a sigh of relief that it couldn’t affect the SC engines.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member

Aware of that, but just expressing a sigh of relief that it couldn’t affect the SC engines.
These engines are around much longer. I assume most issues are known by now.

So : don't worry

Old 10-13-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

These engines are around much longer. I assume most issues are known by now.

So : don't worry
No worries, really. Having served as an industrial project and maintenance engineer back in prehistoric times, I learned how to collect massive amounts of data to resolve issues before they actually occurred (There’s a reason my average 4 vehicle fleet age is 23+ years). In this case, for me, it’s one less set of data points I have to monitor.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

No worries, really. Having served as an industrial project and maintenance engineer back in prehistoric times, I learned how to collect massive amounts of data to resolve issues before they actually occurred (There’s a reason my average 4 vehicle fleet age is 23+ years). In this case, for me, it’s one less set of data points I have to monitor.

Unhingd at an early age and his first modification.

The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
JgaXkr (10-14-2019), Unhingd (10-13-2019)

Quick Reply: P300 : Vibration around 1400rpm.