Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P7 grille ordered, can't wait

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts
Default P7 grille ordered, can't wait

So order the P7 grill today, so should have next week sometime, thanks to Unhinged for the help on the details, much appreciated. As from a previous thread a quote from Unhinged:

"The P7 grille is gloss black plastic. I do not believe it is painted. I opted for a matte black on the surround for a subtle contrast to both the gloss black grille and the BRG paint. To be clear, there may only be 2 or 3 dozen screws to deal with, but it feels like 467.if you are careful removing the growler from the grille by heating it with a hair dryer and looping some dental floss behind it and pulling the growler outwards, all the adhesive will remain on the back of the medallion. The medallion can then be reapplied to the new grille."
Step by step:
1. Remove 467 bolts
2. Pull nose straight forward.
3. Remove bolts around the surround and remove.
4. Remove bumper foam from bumper beam.
Reverse steps 1–3.
extremely simple, but time consuming
easiest to have a helper to pull off nose and to put back in place.

Just have to paint the surround black gloss when it comes and remove the bumper, I have no front parking sensor so no problems there, just nervous on removing in case I pull wires off or anything,
So Unhinged it is basically as you described above, there is some kind of foam behind the grill bar I have to remove I think and wrap or paint the crossbar is this correct.

Chawumba how did you get on fitting yours any pics

Old 07-04-2018, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The Styrofoam bumper block behind the crossbar just attaches to the crossbeam with 2 large plastic push pins. Just pull to remove. Whether or not you need to paint the crossbeam depends on the color of you car. In my case the BRG crossbeam is always shaded sufficiently to look black, so no painting need. Anything other than a dark color will need paint or wrap of gloss or matte black. Plenty of slack for the lamp washer hoses and any wires that you might have to easily disconnect them when the nose comes loose. The nose is very light, but you probably want someone to help remove and replace the nose to avoid any scuffing to the paint.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The Styrofoam bumper block behind the crossbar just attaches to the crossbeam with 2 large plastic push pins. Just pull to remove. Whether or not you need to paint the crossbeam depends on the color of you car. In my case the BRG crossbeam is always shaded sufficiently to look black, so no painting need. Anything other than a dark color will need paint or wrap of gloss or matte black. Plenty of slack for the lamp washer hoses and any wires that you might have to easily disconnect them when the nose comes loose. The nose is very light, but you probably want someone to help remove and replace the nose to avoid any scuffing to the paint.
Thanks for that and you answered a question i was going to as on the lamp washer hoses.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:05 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Waiting on my parking sensor mounts - and I still need to get my surround wrapped gloss black, then I'll be installing mine - so probably a few weeks out.. Sorry, no tips to offer at this point regarding installation. I have removed other front bumper covers and getting the front of the car on ramps and having a second set of hands is a plus. I find even with my car lowered I can drive it up on the low profile "race ramps". They are expensive, but if you can borrow a set they are awesome.

The following users liked this post:
powerhouse (07-04-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 12:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How much was the P7 grille if you don't mind us asking?

Old 07-08-2018, 03:08 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 07-08-2018, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mlebofsky
Will be tough to add the parking sensors.
Also much more expensive than a P7 grill if you can get it.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-08-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Will be tough to add the parking sensors.
Also much more expensive than a P7 grill if you can get it.
This one has carbon fiber surround.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

This one has carbon fiber surround.
Not a bad deal, then.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I'd be wary of anything direct out of China. I ordered a carbon fiber front lip spoiler and it turned out to be garbage... cheap plastic base with bent and broken carbon fiber weave. Shipping cost back to China was almost as much as what I paid for the piece so I threw it in the trash and ate the cost. Live and learn!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Agreed.
I asked where/how to reinstall the OEM curb sensors. Awaiting an answer ....

Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Agreed.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...talled-167124/

Dave

Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Agreed.
https://www.autobarn.net/duptwincurin.html
Glad to help.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:56 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhouse
So order the P7 grill today, so should have next week sometime, thanks to Unhinged for the help on the details, much appreciated. As from a previous thread a quote from Unhinged:

"The P7 grille is gloss black plastic. I do not believe it is painted. I opted for a matte black on the surround for a subtle contrast to both the gloss black grille and the BRG paint. To be clear, there may only be 2 or 3 dozen screws to deal with, but it feels like 467.if you are careful removing the growler from the grille by heating it with a hair dryer and looping some dental floss behind it and pulling the growler outwards, all the adhesive will remain on the back of the medallion. The medallion can then be reapplied to the new grille."
Step by step:
1. Remove 467 bolts
2. Pull nose straight forward.
3. Remove bolts around the surround and remove.
4. Remove bumper foam from bumper beam.
Reverse steps 1–3.
extremely simple, but time consuming
easiest to have a helper to pull off nose and to put back in place.

Just have to paint the surround black gloss when it comes and remove the bumper, I have no front parking sensor so no problems there, just nervous on removing in case I pull wires off or anything,
So Unhinged it is basically as you described above, there is some kind of foam behind the grill bar I have to remove I think and wrap or paint the crossbar is this correct.

Chawumba how did you get on fitting yours any pics
Powerhouse, source for P7 Sensor Holders:
https://www.oddsandendslab.com/parking-sensors

Old 07-12-2018, 04:50 AM
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, somebody copied my study and made it capable of doing business ...

Old 07-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Banned
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there a way to disable the front two sensors only? I have kajos mount but they only work 10% of the time.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by John Jones
Is there a way to disable the front two sensors only? I have kajos mount but they only work 10% of the time.
If I can't get the sensors to work with the mounts my electrical engineer brother believes he can come up with a resistor to put in place of each of the two front sensors so the remaining ones work and there would be no error messages. I just need to send him a sensor so he can come up with a bypass. Seems many are using Kajo's mounts with great success....I'm hoping they work for my car.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Make certain that the kajo mounts are inserted into the correct honeycombs. Works perfectly on my car.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:41 AM
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Also with me the adapters work perfectly. They have to be used on the right honeycomb. Also with all other users the adapters work. In case of a malfunction I can only imagine that it is due to the electronics or the wiring. But not on the adapters ...

Disabling only the front sensors is not possible to my knowledge ...

Old 07-23-2018, 08:28 PM
Default Whew, it is a time consuming project!

Have my P7 mostly installed, have way more time in it than expected. My OCD made me clean all the parts behind the grill before painting, and fitting new grill and sensors takes a while to get right. Couldn't get any 24 gauge heat shrink connectors, so went with phone wire crimp connectors and lots of tape. And securing the sensor wire harness below the grille takes time too. A few pics of the process, for those contemplating a little DIY fun....

Last edited by Chawumba; 07-24-2018 at 12:32 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Chawumba:
JgaXkr (07-24-2018), jleuz1 (07-24-2018), Mbourne (07-23-2018), Meister_Kajo (07-24-2018)

Quick Reply: P7 grille ordered, can't wait