F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paddle aluminium red from range rover

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Not if you are shifting smoothly. I've raced on a lot of tracks with decreasing and increasing radius turns requiring mid corner shifting. With a clutch, it's actually easier to avoid upsetting the balance of a car through the turn while shifting.
Yeah, I was just generalizing on the idea of why shifting mid-turn is frowned upon since IlMostro796 asked. My previous 5 cars (with the exception of the last one) have been manual but I’m pretty hooked on paddles at this point. DCT would be my preference though

Last edited by FR500GT; 02-07-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 318 Posts

Think these look well, silver with silver paddles of course, although red looks nice. The curves in the extensions match the steering wheel , dials etc.

Last edited by powerhouse; 02-07-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone seen any shifter button replacements? I've always thought the shifter paddles were a major weak point in this car. They provide no tactile feel - I find myself miss shifting all the time when driving aggressively. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 02-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritzy
Has anyone seen any shifter button replacements? I've always thought the shifter paddles were a major weak point in this car. They provide no tactile feel - I find myself miss shifting all the time when driving aggressively. Anyone else have this issue?
The XK and XF crowds (exactly the same paddle shifters as on the F-Type) have been researching this for many years, and the only replacement paddles with a decent "heft" resulting in a more tactile feel that I have ever heard of were custom made one-off items. All the OEM ones of different materials and colours have the same flimsy/lightweight feel and the same with all the stick on extenders.
I reckon there is a real market opportunity for someone such as Mina Gallery to design and produce some top quality "heavy" paddles with a more precise switch feel, preferably with the + and - lights working.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The XK and XF crowds (exactly the same paddle shifters as on the F-Type) have been researching this for many years, and the only replacement paddles with a decent "heft" resulting in a more tactile feel that I have ever heard of were custom made one-off items. All the OEM ones of different materials and colours have the same flimsy/lightweight feel and the same with all the stick on extenders.
I reckon there is a real market opportunity for someone such as Mina Gallery to design and produce some top quality "heavy" paddles with a more precise switch feel, preferably with the + and - lights working.
Maybe Velocity AP would be interested? After all, most of their Jaguar crowd has auto transmissions and it wouldn't be too difficult (what do I know) to start a mold by using the factory paddle.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Maybe Velocity AP would be interested? After all, most of their Jaguar crowd has auto transmissions and it wouldn't be too difficult (what do I know) to start a mold by using the factory paddle.
I tried to do something like this before and no-one seemed very interested.

That being said, I only asked the F-type members of the forum. I'd be happy to partner with someone who had the resources to produce the product.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The paddles could be improved, but it sounds like it's the switches themselves. I liken it to the move to mechanical switch keyboards many people(mostly gamers) have made, many people like the feedback they provide.

Does anyone have any broken paddles? I bet we could find a replacement switch that could be modded in.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

The paddles could be improved, but it sounds like it's the switches themselves. I liken it to the move to mechanical switch keyboards many people(mostly gamers) have made, many people like the feedback they provide.

Does anyone have any broken paddles? I bet we could find a replacement switch that could be modded in.
I have spares. The switch itself is molded into the paddle base. You could probably mock something up, but it wouldn't be simple for long term durability. The switch is very similar to a keyboard key.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Which paddles do you have? The action of the switches with the plastic paddles that came in my XKR-S was too light, and I did have unintentional shifts. I measured the force required to depress them and the aluminum replacements, and found the aluminum ones to be approximately 24% stiffer. Enough that I haven't had unintentional shifts. Any extensions added to either paddles will not affect the stiffness of the springs within the switches, but there could be another way to modify them. Photos of the two types of OEM switches are here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...addles-193271/

Last edited by dcmackintosh; 02-07-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:18 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

finally i mount it after plastidip , sensation... i need to do practice because i was used to using the previous ones, and strange sensation for at the beginning but after some km i was feel better ... finally i can move up the hand but ... at the moment ...im in tester mode !

Old 02-09-2018, 10:37 AM

Nice man!

Old 02-09-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Nice man!
when you install it you was comforttable immediately or some time to learn ?

thx

Old 02-09-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by indietor
when you install it you was comforttable immediately or some time to learn ?

thx
I installed them the first week I had the car since I purchased them in advance.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:24 AM

ah ok

Old 02-10-2018, 09:20 AM
Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm not particularly interested in weight savings, but am sending my OEM paddles to be CF laminated. It is estimated to be ~$150. Might be an alternative to producing molds, etc.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:49 PM

i remove finally i give it back to amazon

the oem are far better after intense testing... only problems and no improvement , so now i remove..and it was scary (3m are very strong) but finally removed without problem