F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint blemish from dirt

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Paint blemish from dirt

I have a white 2015 F Type S V8 that has small specs of dirt that seem to be embedded into the paint just in front of the rear tires on both sides. I have tried to wash it and tried to scrape them off with my finger nail as well as clay bar them but they seem to be embedded in the paint. I assume it's normal for a white car that's 7 years old since it only has 30k miles and hasn't been abused. I want to ceramic coat the car myself and would like to get these blemishes out before I do that. How would I go about getting them out? Or can someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by dbleoh7; 01-08-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:15 AM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

What brand clay are you using, may have to try a more aggressive bar. Outside of that once you begin paint correction prior to coating a mild pad and compound should get that out

Old 01-09-2022, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Have you tried using a clay bar on this part? Any place where you can get car waxes will have clay bars and also the spray that you use as a lubricant. The clay bar is meant to remove surface contamination and imperfections before waxing or using any coating on the paint.

Old 01-09-2022, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyM
What brand clay are you using, may have to try a more aggressive bar. Outside of that once you begin paint correction prior to coating a mild pad and compound should get that out
I used chemical guys light/medium duty clay bar with the lube spray for it. Link is below on Amazon. Should I use a different one?

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-09-2022, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by dbleoh7
I used chemical guys light/medium duty clay bar with the lube spray for it. Link is below on Amazon. Should I use a different one?

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...s%2C642&sr=8-4

you can try going up to the heavy clay bar, but I’m surprised the current isn’t working as that’s the one I tend to use. Regardless you’ll have to correct the paint prior to coating the car and polishing will remove everything more efficiently.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:08 AM
Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts

WD 40

Old 01-09-2022, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Actually...It may look like "dirt", but is likely some other fallout or contaminants. Also, on lighter cars you can more readily see the iron deposits from the brakes (dust and particles that stick to the car).

I periodically treat my car (also white) with Iron X Fallout Remover (or similar). You spray it on when you are about to wash it and let it dwell for a bit, and it will change color (usually purple) as it works...Then just rinse off and wash as normal, or clay bar or whatever else your correction process will be. I would suggest that before getting too aggressive with abrasives or clay (also an abrasive).

ALSO NOTE: These Fallout removers are the WORST smelling crap ever...I am not kidding. if you use it, you will see what I mean. Horrible smelling...Like a pile of feces on a rotting carcass bad

I also had much of my car covered in PPF and I also Ceramic coated, so it is pretty well protected.

Example below. (No affiliation BTW...Just trying to help)

Good luck,
DC

Last edited by Therock88; 01-09-2022 at 09:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
BruceTheQuail (01-09-2022), dbleoh7 (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

It's likely not dirt or contaminants but likely paint damage. Some of the 2015 paint jobs were on the light side and many 2015 cars have that (specifically the white cars). Other option is to look at Mother's R3:

https://mothers.com/products/r3-raci...-remover-09224

It removes just about anything that can be removed (beyond race rubber).

The following users liked this post:
dbleoh7 (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 10:01 AM
Old 01-09-2022, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Therock88
Actually...It may look like "dirt", but is likely some other fallout or contaminants. Also, on lighter cars you can more readily see the iron deposits from the brakes (dust and particles that stick to the car).

I periodically treat my car (also white) with Iron X Fallout Remover (or similar). You spray it on when you are about to wash it and let it dwell for a bit, and it will change color (usually purple) as it works...Then just rinse off and wash as normal, or clay bar or whatever else your correction process will be. I would suggest that before getting too aggressive with abrasives or clay (also an abrasive).

ALSO NOTE: These Fallout removers are the WORST smelling crap ever...I am not kidding. if you use it, you will see what I mean. Horrible smelling...Like a pile of feces on a rotting carcass bad

I also had much of my car covered in PPF and I also Ceramic coated, so it is pretty well protected.

Example below. (No affiliation BTW...Just trying to help)

https://youtu.be/a4WdscajaT4

Good luck,
DC
Thanks for the explanation. I just ordered some Adam's Iron Remover to give it a try. I'll try that and then I ordered a heavy clay bar that I'll try if there are still contaminants.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by dbleoh7
Thanks for the explanation. I just ordered some Adam's Iron Remover to give it a try. I'll try that and then I ordered a heavy clay bar that I'll try if there are still contaminants.
You are welcome. After you have done this, whatever does not come off, may actually be some small chips etc.. If so, I would suggest taking some matching touch-up paint, and you can use a toothpick to dab in the small chips which makes it very easy to fill in without clumps. Then to your remaining paint correction and Ceramic, and you will likely never be able to see it or tell it is there.

DC

The following users liked this post:
dbleoh7 (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

If indeed, you DO decide the paint is chipped from debris, I can recommend Dr Colorchip.

https://drcolorchip.com/

Old 01-09-2022, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 257 Posts

My car had similar issues in front of both rear wheels. I am pretty sure it is clear coat damage from debris flying off the wheels and/or then bouncing off the road and hitting the car. To address the issue on my car I very carefully tried scratch remover followed by polish. It removed most of the damage (to a level far, far less noticeable) but I was afraid of removing too much clear coat to completely fix it.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

My vote is iron as well, the ironX works wonders but smells horrific.

I would be very careful about ceramic coating the car myself, I had a terrible experience with the Carpro product and wouldnt try again. I have been getting awesome results through good quality waxes, once a year clay and base wax, maintained by a spray on. I use Polish Angel products which are super easy and virtually effort free (also no silicon), though I understand there are plenty of other good ones. The less rubbing, the less static, the less static, the less dust.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:44 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

To go a step further than wax, try a sealant like Wolfgang's paint sealant. It's not a commitment like a ceramic, but it does offer better and longer protection than just a wax and it's easy to apply.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fireze22
To go a step further than wax, try a sealant like Wolfgang's paint sealant. It's not a commitment like a ceramic, but it does offer better and longer protection than just a wax and it's easy to apply.
I love autogeek products, and have spent thousands on their stuff. Looking forward to spring to get a coat of fuzion on the car, but personally I’ve had really good luck using this stuff as of late

Amazon Amazon

I just wash the car 2 bucket method and spray it down while still wet and use waffle weave microfiber towels to dry (the rag company 70/30 Korean blend). This method probably works well because my car is also white so there’s minimal streaking, can’t imagine it being great for a darker vehicle. The beading, sheeting, ease of cleaning and use has been spectacular though. It really makes protecting the car so easy can’t imagine the longevity to be the greatest using this method and product, but I can say I’ve gone 2 weeks between washes and it was still clearly on the surface.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:45 PM
Received 115 Likes on 66 Posts

Probably rail dust, look for an iron removal product. Takes it right off. White cars are especially prone to this.