F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Paint problems

The seams on my Indigo Blue had some “Light” or missing paint on the panel behind the door. This panel then runs forward under the door to the front fender.

I was 1st told they would “touch this up”.

NOW I am told there is a service bulletin that tells them to REPLACE these panels. The paint is “to thin” on this panel.

Before I bring the care in, they are checking the real meaning of this bulletin and let me know.

More to come.

Scott

Old 01-31-2014, 07:55 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yep, welcome to the club. S V8? Although first Blue I've heard of. Mostly Blacks and BRGs so far with this issue.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, there is a service bulletin on this. The bottom panel does have to be removed, sanded and repainted. There is also some type of padding they add to the back of the panel. The paint chips usually happens on both sides of the car.

I just had my F-type (BRG) repaired for the second time. I don't believe there was a bulletin the first time it was repaired and the padding was not added to the panel. The paint started chipping out again about a month later. I waited until after the holidays to take it back again and it was just repaired again a couple weeks ago.

The second time the dealer said they recently received a service bulletin which said the cause is from the flexing of the car which apparently puts some kind of stress on the lower body panel. The padding relieves that pressure. We will see.

I bought mine last June, so I am sure the cars that have been built this year will not have that problem. Below is a picture of what my paint problem looked like on both sides:

Attached Thumbnails Paint  problems-407802912.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
themacs (02-03-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

That looks EXACTLY like my issue in the EXACT same place.

I’m waiting for a call back.

Scott

Originally Posted by thorton-1
Yes, there is a service bulletin on this. The bottom panel does have to be removed, sanded and repainted. There is also some type of padding they add to the back of the panel. The paint chips usually happens on both sides of the car.

I just had my F-type (BRG) repaired for the second time. I don't believe there was a bulletin the first time it was repaired and the padding was not added to the panel. The paint started chipping out again about a month later. I waited until after the holidays to take it back again and it was just repaired again a couple weeks ago.

The second time the dealer said they recently received a service bulletin which said the cause is from the flexing of the car which apparently puts some kind of stress on the lower body panel. The padding relieves that pressure. We will see.

I bought mine last June, so I am sure the cars that have been built this year will not have that problem. Below is a picture of what my paint problem looked like on both sides:

Old 02-02-2014, 09:10 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,405 Posts

Mine looks the same, though not that bad. It goes in for its annual service in June, so I'll see what they want to do then.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:42 PM

Let us know what happens with your dealer.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the same problems on both sides. Taking my car in soon as they get the parts to fix the shock issue from the TSB addressing the 'bumping' in the rear end. Hopefully they address the paint at the same time.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:38 AM

Anyone know where to get a copy or access to the TSBs that are currently out?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,405 Posts

This site list TSBs, but you have to pay to see them (found by Googling 'jaguar f-type tsb'). I got a letter from Jag about the stowage box lid issue, which my car has. Haven't fixed it yet.
Automotive Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins for 2014 Jaguar F-Type (X152) V6-3.0L SC. Provided by ALLDATA

themacs (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Box lid issue?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default box lid

Originally Posted by New2Jag
Box lid issue?

I had this as well and dealer fixed it. When you lock the car, instead of the storage box locking it plops open instead of locking. It was funny the first couple times, then not so much. Something was put in backwards. The Jag fix really didn't work so they worked out a mod that fixed the problem.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

In case you need it, the service bulletin number for this issue is:
JTB00323NAS1 - Rocker Panel Moulding Paint Delaminating

tiger4366 (02-15-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there found the Jaguar Forum recently. Purchased my 2014 F-Type British Racing Green aprx 1 month+ ago. Notice I had the same issues of paint chipping/ peeling/bubbling issue on both panels. First time dealer did the work it wasn't done correctly, even before picking car I asked then current assigned service advisor if they looked at car, they said no, you know where this is going. So sure enough, got to dealer and both my wife and I were like disappointed with repair results, so much so with left car with dealer. Ok we then asked for a new advisor since previous one obviously lacked skills for attention to detail and to inspect work prior to customer coming in to pick it up. Got great new advisor and was following what Jaguar North America recommended as what to do to solve issue. Unfortunately we haven't even had the car back 2 weeks and we noticed today that there was chipping / bubbling already starting to show. What are CURRENT F-type owners experiencing? Other than that we love the car!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by akdeepdiver
Hi there found the Jaguar Forum recently. Purchased my 2014 F-Type British Racing Green aprx 1 month+ ago. Notice I had the same issues of paint chipping/ peeling/bubbling issue on both panels. First time dealer did the work it wasn't done correctly, even before picking car I asked then current assigned service advisor if they looked at car, they said no, you know where this is going. So sure enough, got to dealer and both my wife and I were like disappointed with repair results, so much so with left car with dealer. Ok we then asked for a new advisor since previous one obviously lacked skills for attention to detail and to inspect work prior to customer coming in to pick it up. Got great new advisor and was following what Jaguar North America recommended as what to do to solve issue. Unfortunately we haven't even had the car back 2 weeks and we noticed today that there was chipping / bubbling already starting to show. What are CURRENT F-type owners experiencing? Other than that we love the car!
It has only been about 6 weeks since mine was repainted for the second time. The first time it was painted it started to chip/bubble about a couple weeks later. Both paint jobs looked very good only the first one didn't hold up. I think (and hope) they did it right this time. See post #3.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has a little bit on the passenger side. Not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. Not going to worry about it unless it gets worse.