Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film Care

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film Care

So I'm getting pretty much the front half of the F-type covered with xPel Ultimate. I've read everything I can find online and it seems like I can pretty much just wash and wax as usual.

I'd love to hear from some guys that actually have the xPel on their cars. How to you clean, polish, and wax the film? I'm even up for particular brands or products that you use that work well.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm getting Xpel too for this go round, but I had 3M for eight years on my BMW. I just washed and waxed it as normal, taking care not to wipe perpendicular to the hood seam. Parallel wiping was fine.

I got a bit of wax build up in the edge but chose to ignore it. You can however use something like a toothpick if it really bothers you.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I have xpel ultimate and it washes and wax's just like the paint only portion. And the same as the previous poster, the edges can accumulate some wax at times.. fingernail perhaps or edge of cloth takes care of it.. careful not to mark the paint though so that if you ever take the xpel off, you do not want a line in the paint.
Lawrence.

The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (04-27-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

+1 to all the above. Have had "filmed" cars for years and just washed with car wash soap, and waxed with a quality carnuba wax, right over the film. Treat just like paint for the most part, but I wouldn't use even a mild abrasive polish.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:03 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

You should avoid using cleaning products that contain naphtha or kerosene because those will yellow a clearbra. Plexus for instance should never be used on a clearbra.

Best thing to do is have the clearbra and the rest of the car coated in a permanent coating like one of the ceramic coatings or optiguard. And then also be careful of what cleaning products you use per guidelines above.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

How close do you all drive to the vehicle in front, and how bad are your roads???

Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
How close do you all drive to the vehicle in front, and how bad are your roads???
Good question for this topic.

From my point of view, I added the xpel due to prior experience with Jaguars and other vehicles, being damage by stones/gravel.
A few of the causes in my neck of the woods.

.. Salt and sand in the winter beat up on the car behind the wheels, especially with snow tire treads.. as well the car ahead throws some back. Actually in the F, I didn't even drive it this winter.

.. I live on a gravel road, so even in the summer, I need to take it slow until I reach the pavement and the xpel really helps.

.. On the paved roads, they are pretty good where I live, an hour north of Toronto, however you still get a stone once in awhile, especially if you are following a dump truck. In Toronto, they tend to have pot holes that have pieces of pavement around them.

I try not to follow close, but sometimes thats just how it ends up. My xpel has a half-inch deep bruise in it from a stone that hit the front of the car, but did not touch the paint, so it does work.
Lawrence.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts

I've used Plexus on Xpel and other 3M clearbra for years and I don't have any yellowing or discoloration. A light spray is all you need and wipe off immediately.

I would recommend using 'Xpel protection film sealant' every 3 months. Keeps it protected and smooth. You can use a waterless car wash spray such as Eco Touch for removing bugs and other stuff on your clearbra. Very easy to take care of. I am not a fan of ceramic coatings since I detail my car regularly. A well placed stone can nick paint with or without ceramic coating. Optimal to have a clearbra on areas of concern.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

x

Last edited by Tel; 05-22-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:53 AM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
You should avoid using cleaning products that contain naphtha or kerosene because those will yellow a clearbra. Plexus for instance should never be used on a clearbra.

Best thing to do is have the clearbra and the rest of the car coated in a permanent coating like one of the ceramic coatings or optiguard. And then also be careful of what cleaning products you use per guidelines above.
This is my experience when speaking to professionals, verbatim. I was my Xpel stealth with standard car washes from Adams, AMMO NYC and Chemical Guys with great results. I also use waterless washes during the winter from all three with equally good results. AMMO NYC Frothe is great all around.

Old 09-02-2022, 01:36 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do soaps and other chemicals from automatic car wash strip off sealant and waxes that were applied by hand?

I am planning to detail my daily with one coat of Klasse sealant and one coat of Collinite 845. I was wondering whether I should even bother to detail my daily if I'm going to put it through a car wash through winter (maybe 10+ automatic car washes until March).

If sealant and wax can somehow survive these chemicals, I might as well go ahead and detail my daily driver. I detailed my weekend car today, and while waiting for sealant and wax to cure my weekend car, I decontaminated and "somewhat" clayed the daily driver. All I have to do is to apply the sealant and wax during the next wash.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-03-2022, 10:04 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

The Jag is the first car I spent to have Xpel put on. Prior I had other 3M style clear bra film put on and will continue to do so with future cars. In AZ there are so many flying rocks it is insane. It is just about as bad as when I lived in Denver. But I also had not only Xpel put on but had it ceramic coated. Now I simply power wash the car and dry with a leaf blower. Simple and looks amazing.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:41 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Whatsnext thank so much for your response and suggestion

Old 09-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

I have Xpel on my front bumper cover, side view mirrors and headlight lenses, as well. DO NOT use an orbital polisher [apply wax by hand] on Xpel as it will degrade the film. Otherwise, it seems to be a great product. Had it for a year thus far and nobody has even been able to tell it is installed. It's well worth the cost if you drive on interstates and freeways.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:19 AM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have some kind of smudge in the middle of my bonnet and wonder how do you recommend I remove it without destroying the Xpel film? I do not think it’s a bird dropping though. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2022, 01:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have full bumper front end and 1 piece Xpel for the hood. Was a custom cut to do that. Also full rockers, pillars, mirrors. Use mostly pro detailing stuff and treat it no different than the paint. literally impossible to tell if I have xpel on as it looks really good. Just make sure the paint below is corrected or perfect as vinyl does have away of showing the imperfections.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting PPF and ceramic next week..

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
The Jag is the first car I spent to have Xpel put on. Prior I had other 3M style clear bra film put on and will continue to do so with future cars. In AZ there are so many flying rocks it is insane. It is just about as bad as when I lived in Denver. But I also had not only Xpel put on but had it ceramic coated. Now I simply power wash the car and dry with a leaf blower. Simple and looks amazing.
Did you get the entire car PPF’d? I’m dropping it off and they’re set to do 75% PPF and ceramic coating. I’m assuming they ceramic coat the entire car including the areas without PPF. I’m also wondering if the ceramic is noticeably different +/- PPF

Old 10-08-2022, 06:35 PM
Default No doors or back wrap?

Originally Posted by RobMar
I have full bumper front end and 1 piece Xpel for the hood. Was a custom cut to do that. Also full rockers, pillars, mirrors. Use mostly pro detailing stuff and treat it no different than the paint. literally impossible to tell if I have xpel on as it looks really good. Just make sure the paint below is corrected or perfect as vinyl does have away of showing the imperfections.
A few shops wanted to do my F-Type’s hood in 2 pieces or a cookie cutter but I found a place that will custom cut for that enormous hood and wrap edges. Anything you would have changed? Wondering if I should wrap the back too for protection against rock’s kicking up from the occasional tire spin (accidental tire spin of course). I’m getting the doors for parking lot punks too.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:43 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bixo
Did you get the entire car PPF’d? I’m dropping it off and they’re set to do 75% PPF and ceramic coating. I’m assuming they ceramic coat the entire car including the areas without PPF. I’m also wondering if the ceramic is noticeably different +/- PPF
I did the entire front, A pillars, mirrors, side blades and rear quarters. The entire car was ceramic coated. I think ceramic coating to me was well worth it. I will do it again.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I did the entire front, A pillars, mirrors, side blades and rear quarters. The entire car was ceramic coated. I think ceramic coating to me was well worth it. I will do it again.
Yeah the shop owner just bought the same car and that’s about what he’s planning to do to his too. I’m just going to tell him to do the same on mine. I’m terrified to drive without the paint being PPFd and obviously can’t wait for that first time feeling of wiping bird poop off of the ceramic haha

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film Care