F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film Care

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 09:45 PM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I did the entire front, A pillars, mirrors, side blades and rear quarters. The entire car was ceramic coated. I think ceramic coating to me was well worth it. I will do it again.
In addition to the areas mentioned above I had PPF applied to the rear spoiler and door sills as well.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:00 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I was going to suggest the spoiler - mine has a few big chips.

The following users liked this post:
crashxx (11-03-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 09:31 AM
Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

TXJagR,

I recently had Xpel applied to my 2017 R after having body shop work due to a deer running into the side. Since the whole front of the car received a paint job, I thought it would be a great time to get the wrap. I went with the full wrap and had them apply a ceramic coat.

After speaking with the team that conducted the work this is what I learned

1, You should have the shop or personally apply a coating over the PPF in order to maintain a new like finish. Ceramic is preferred for expel. Also note that even though non car care professionals can order ceramic coatings in general they are not as thick or of the same quality products that are applied at the shops.

2, Once PPF/ceramic coating is applied wait a week before doing anything with the surface of the car. (I parked the jag in the garage and left it there for a little over a week before washing and applying ceramic boost)

3, After a week has passed then the car can be cleaned. I have been using the following products ordered from Sky’s the limit car care

CARPRO DHydrate Drying Towel - 20" x 20"

CARPRO Reload 500ml (17oz)

OBSSSSD Ceramic Spray Detailer 16 oz. *New*

The main thing to look out for is that the products are neutral and PPF safe. For the most part I have only washed the care with the reset car wash and then gone over it with the Xpel ceramic boost that was provided when I picked the car up from the shop. The Xpel boost is a great product for shine and water beading and is used like a spray detailer.

The products used will be determined by the coating selected ceramic/graphite. I asked the shop about wax and due to the abrasive nature, chemical composition, wax is not recommended.

Please keep in mind that all information is based on my research, experience, and discussion with Premium Auto Films in Virginia Beach.

Last edited by pab74; 10-09-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:51 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I would be careful with the detailer type spray for the ceramic coating. I used it too similar to a quick detailer spray and it left streaks on my car which needed to be fixed by the place that did the PPF and ceramic coating. I found with my application if I spray a little into the microfiber towel and rub onto small sections at a time it works like it should. And I will say the Xpel just saved some paint work on my car. The dealer opened and closed the service bay door hitting the front facia of my Jaguar. It peeled up a small section of my Xpel but if that wasn't on the car it would have scratched it.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:42 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Xpel Ultimate PPF was put on our V8R seven years ago when the car was built.
It's a full custom (overlapping edges wrap).

It gets the Xpel sealant after a clay mit wipedown annually, which doesn't seem to add much gloss, but it's PPF friendly so won't cause blooming and allegedly keeps the film supple.

When it's dirty I just use a bucket of filtered water and a MF cloth, no chemicals.

I used to use Meguiars QD spray to 'show n shine' , but recently changed to https://www.autoglym.com/rapid-ceramic-spray

Oh boy, this stuff is the mutz nutz. After researching Graphene and other Ceramic hydrophobic sprays, this was the only one that stated it was safe to use on PPF.
A little goes a long way and it's a doddle to buff. The gloss is the best I've ever seen the film.

I would not waste my money on a dedicated ceramic coat on top of PPF.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:03 PM
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe my installer said a hair dryer would allow the film to “self heal”.
Originally Posted by Robert R Gilbert
I have some kind of smudge in the middle of my bonnet and wonder how do you recommend I remove it without destroying the Xpel film? I do not think it’s a bird dropping though. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2022, 07:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would just use whatever you normally use. I have been using products like this <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://max-protect.co.uk/services/p...otection-film/ on my car for the last few months and have been very happy. I would also make sure that you are using a high quality carnauba wax as well.I would stay away from any kind of cleaners that contain alcohol or any other harsh chemicals. I would also stay away from any kind of clay bars. If you need to remove any kind of contaminants, I would just use a high quality car wash soap and a soft wash mitt.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

I absolutely hate mine. Yes, it doe’s protect the paint from chips but it also shows every divot that it gets and whoever installed mine did such a horrible job. There is a hair under it right in the hood that I just can’t I see, they even caught a few gnats under it. Such a disappointment. Even without the hair or gnats I wouldn’t do it again. I’d just get a quality ceramic done like I did the rest of my car.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

With the right, experienced installer the film is invisible. Don't give up on the technology.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:13 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark7Seven
With the right, experienced installer the film is invisible. Don't give up on the technology.
100%. I had Expel installed on my front bumper cover, headlamp lenses, and side view mirrors and it is invisible everywhere except at an unavoidable seam on each mirror.

I went with the best installer in the area and I would recommend anybody doing this to do the same. It's all about the installation. The difference between the best and average in the LA area was only a couple of hundred bucks.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by synthesis
100%. I had Expel installed on my front bumper cover, headlamp lenses, and side view mirrors and it is invisible everywhere except at an unavoidable seam on each mirror.

I went with the best installer in the area and I would recommend anybody doing this to do the same. It's all about the installation. The difference between the best and average in the LA area was only a couple of hundred bucks.
Do you have a recommendation for an LA installer? (best)

Old 10-31-2022, 02:47 PM
Received 190 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Inundated
Do you have a recommendation for an LA installer? (best)
Premier Armour, Corona. Their work is impeccable BUT having told them I would be waiting for the car, I was told they would get me in and out ASAP so I booked the appt and I showed up when requested at 8:30a. They didn't take my car in until after lunch and finished a bit after 5p. I was NOT happy. No discount offered. It seemed like no big deal to them as they had a couple of high end cars in the shop getting the full treatment so when I showed up [since my job was just the front bumper cover, headlamp lenses, and side mirrors], I waited.

Although I almost left at least twenty times, I am glad I stayed as I watched their work and they are meticulous. VERY happy with the finished product!