Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Perhaps that is a new and improved version of the 3M film, but who knows . . .
The other unknown is what version of Xpel was tested. Ultimate was not mentioned in the comparison.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Here is a recent forum thread by some Ferrari owners regarding XPel versus 3M. Some of them have experience with both (the 3M Pro is their latest version).

The consensus seems to be that Xpel Ultimate is superior.

3M vs Xpel ultimate - FerrariChat.com
Great thread - thanks. I'm sold on Xpel Ultimate

Old 11-09-2015, 12:14 PM

Do a forum search. Many of us have Xpel Ultimate. Other than a VERY FEW spots on the complex front grill / bumper area, you simply cannot tell it is on the car. Professional installers also wrap the edges and can do a single sheet over the hood with no seams.

I had mine done by the dealer before I ever picked it up. Simply amazing stuff that has great protection and very easy to maintain. I had the entire front end of mine done. In hind sight I should have also had at least parts of the rear quarter panels done as well.

Should be cheaper than getting a body panel repainted, no need to worry about an exact paint match, and even with a respray you still might drive away and get a new chip a few miles later. I have over 12,000 miles on my 2016 including a cross country trip, and the ONLY paint flaw I have is in the edge of the side skirt that wasn't covered. (Get them doe as well. they collect all kind of debris!)
Did you consider having the doors wrapped?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I am getting the entire car done. I picked it up from the dealer on Friday and took it up to the wrapper today. He put a piece on the hood and I could not tell the difference. After seeing the amount of chips on my old XKR, the money spent on an xpel treatment seems trivial.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Balboa
Did you consider having the doors wrapped?
I don't think the doors "NEED" wrapped. Of course, wrapping the entire car would be the best protection. The skirts attract a lot of dirt and road grime. If I would be doing it again, I' probably do the entire front end, the side skirts, and the rear rocker panels.

As it stands, I don't like the look of the body colored side skirts that they went to on the 2016. I'm either going to wrap them in Carbon Fiber, or have them painted black.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I don't think the doors "NEED" wrapped. Of course, wrapping the entire car would be the best protection. The skirts attract a lot of dirt and road grime. If I would be doing it again, I' probably do the entire front end, the side skirts, and the rear rocker panels.

As it stands, I don't like the look of the body colored side skirts that they went to on the 2016. I'm either going to wrap them in Carbon Fiber, or have them painted black.
Wrap them in matte black. Much less expensive than painting and provides the protection. I did this on the front bumper bar and rear valence to get rid of the shiny black.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 PM

Just had the entire car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate. I had some serious reservations beforehand that a) it might somehow dull my finish and b) it would diminish my gorgeous metallic sparkle. To my delight the exact opposite turned out to be true. a) the finish now looks like wet glass b) I really think the film has made the metallic pop. I really think it sparkles more now in the light and is more easily recognizable as green (where as at first it was often mistaken for black). The wallet is a little lighter but I'm very happy with the results.

Attached Thumbnails Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra)-20151203_111613_resized.jpg   Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra)-20151203_111527_resized.jpg   Paint Protection Film (Clear Bra)-20151203_111358_resized.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
TXJagR (12-03-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 05:12 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Anxious to pick mine up tomorrow. Bonnet, bumper, front fenders, mirrors, and rocker panels for $2,000. Unfortunately, I didn't inquire on the brand...I considered it a commodity :0

Old 12-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout!
Anxious to pick mine up tomorrow. Bonnet, bumper, front fenders, mirrors, and rocker panels for $2,000. Unfortunately, I didn't inquire on the brand...I considered it a commodity :0
Speaking as a professional commodity broker...I suspect whatever brand "whomever" is installing it 1) knows what they are doing and 2) using the latest generation of film. There have been numerous discussions here [re] the different brands - XPEL, Sun Tek, 3M being the most discussed - and having a little protection should provide you with a little more piece of mind (from getting hit with you-name-it piece of something hitting your car).

That said, it is only a car (if a stunning one at that!).

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Best guards,
Jay

The following users liked this post:
Lookout! (12-05-2015)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Not sure if I bump a thread, or start a new one, but was wondering if anyone's opinions have evolved with new products, or it is still the Xpel Ultimate? I just realized I have no idea what my dealer wrapped my car with, but I suspect it is 3M. There's a knick in it in the front, and it's time to get a headlamp recovered where it came off during a wash.

How often do you guys change your coating?

Also, for a fact, that earlier video is posted by a 3M film distribution company in Colorado. Possibly a conflict there eh? lol

So... anything new out there in the last year, or Xpel forever? =)

Old 10-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Ive xpel wrapped all my cars but this time wanted to try suntek and man am I impressed. It so much more optical then the xpel, I am not sure about durability but it def looks better and stretches to our complicated bumpers a lot better since its less rigid

Old 10-28-2016, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Prophizee
Ive xpel wrapped all my cars but this time wanted to try suntek and man am I impressed. It so much more optical then the xpel, I am not sure about durability but it def looks better and stretches to our complicated bumpers a lot better since its less rigid
I wish others might chime in, but it seems 3M is on the outs, and now it's Suntek vs Xpel?

someone said this:

(1)Suntek is a bit thinner with slightly less protection but leaves a shinier looking car. (2) Expel Ultimate is slightly thicker and will protect a bit better but doesn't leave quite the shine Suntek does.

Another this:

It's basically Suntek 5yr warranty, vs Xpel 10 year.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Batmobile SVR

Started out metallic black, wrapped in Suntek PPF Satin.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:53 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

what waxes would be the recommendation for applying to Suntek - my installer advised caution as to the use of some waxes that may have "oils" in them which would eventually degrade the film

Old 10-29-2016, 07:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by cbroth1
Batmobile SVR

Started out metallic black, wrapped in Suntek PPF Satin.
Holy crap, Batman! Red brakes and hub covers should look great with that. Do you have the red growler on the grill?

Old 10-29-2016, 09:16 AM

Had my car wrapped with Xpel Ultimate only a year ago. Then I made the mistake of leaving my car outside for a week I was out of town. Came back to acid rain spots on the hood and trunk. Shocked. I brought it back to the installer and he said he's only seen this a couple of times. They tried eveything (including a light wet sanding) and couldn't get them out. He said he'd submit it for warranty replacement for the film (but I'd still have to pay for the removal and re-install). I was truly disappointed this happened. I'm going to live with it for a while and may wait to take him up on that if I have a tear down the road. Not really visible in bright sun - just low light, but I know it's there. Not sure if others have ever had this issue or if another brand of film would have made a difference. Thoughts?