F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint swirls after car washes

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Paint swirls after car washes

On previous cars, I've seen issues with paint swirls due to the brushes in automatic car washes. Is the F-type and in particular the Polaris White paint vulnerable to these swirls as well? It was particularly bad on my RX-8 mostly because of the paint Mazda used.

The reason I ask is because I have an option here to join a car wash club with unlimited washes for $20/month and was wondering if over washing the car would cause it to get get swirls.

Any 2014's or 15's out there who have so far avoided or seen swirls on the Ftype paint?

Old 05-31-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I wouldn't even think of taking my car to an automatic wash. It's hand washed only.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I would avoid automatic brush car washes like the plague. On a white car it won't be too bad since white hides things well (one of the reasons I only get white cars these days). But on my previous black car one bad wash and it ruined the car. If the car is dirty or the brush is dirty you are screwed.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Don't do it! For the love of god!

Old 05-31-2015, 05:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would advise against it as well. I personally haven't taken my previous Evoque and the new R Coupe for any automatic wash. The local JLR dealer offers unlimited free car washes as part of any new car purchase - yet I don't use it.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm 100% with the previous 3 posters. I never take any of my cars through a wash with brushes, or one of those swinging fabric automatic car washers. I only hand wash myself. But in the winter when I can't get a day warm enough for washing at home, and the car is really bad I have used a "touchless" car wash occasionally. I know they use clean water and have a spotless rinse cycle using soft water. I never choose the wax cycle either. These are on my other cars. When the F-Type arrives here, hand wash at home only.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I really admire you guys who hand wash their cars regularly. While I don't mind doing it once in a while, I'm too lazy to hand wash my car regularly.

There is a touchless car wash in the area, but its about 20 miles away

Old 05-31-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I only hand wash using the two bucket method and with grit guards in both buckets.

The following users liked this post:
F-typical (06-01-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I just can't see any reason to use a car wash like this. If you're like me and spent over a years salary on this vehicle, you can't afford to have the paint destroyed and get over the laziness. If you're not and are rather wealthy why not pay someone to come detail your car a couple times a month? Call it tough love, but a touch style car wash will damage your paint and I don't want to see your beautiful car get all scratched up because you were lazy.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a Stratus Grey and go through the regular car wash (swinging things on the top and brushes on the sides) every 2 or 3 weeks. I have them wax it every 4 months or sooner if I notice the water isn't beading. Been 10 months and I haven't noticed any swirls or irregularities. I did the same with my Pearl Grey 2008 XKR for 6 years and the paint looked pretty good when I traded it. It could be possible that the xirrallic paint doesn't show swirls like the solid colors.

No doubt it is better to hand wash but if you wish to use the car wash just make sure to keep it waxed regularly.

Last edited by jleuz1; 05-31-2015 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Automatic drive through car washes are just a NO NO .....for any type or colour of car unless you actually WANT to add swirl marks to your paint AND ruin the finish in quick order.

Each to their own I say......

Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
On previous cars, I've seen issues with paint swirls due to the brushes in automatic car washes. Is the F-type and in particular the Polaris White paint vulnerable to these swirls as well? It was particularly bad on my RX-8 mostly because of the paint Mazda used.

The reason I ask is because I have an option here to join a car wash club with unlimited washes for $20/month and was wondering if over washing the car would cause it to get get swirls.

Any 2014's or 15's out there who have so far avoided or seen swirls on the Ftype paint?
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

If you can't find the time or effort to wash the car yourself, then hire a professional to do it for you. My gosh, you just made a 100K investment. Give that kitty the love she deserves.

There has got to be establishments in your area that offer a "Hand Wash" service. I have half a dozen within a 5 mile radius. Other options include a mobile detail service, that will hand-wash your car weekly, or bi-weekly if you prefer, and give your baby at little extra attention in the form of a full or semi-full detail every 4th washing.

I use a highly regarded professional detailer exclusively. For a monthly fee, he details it the last visit of every month and does a wash and shine weekly. Nothing but the best in hand care, his finest car-wash products, with clean sponges, chamois and towels, every time.

If she gets really filthy in between, I'll take her to a coin-operated do-it-yourself spray wash, and use a $30 leaf blower to remove as much water as possible without resorting to chamois.

Since dealership service centers in my area all have their own carwash machines, as local competition over customer service dictates they always return your car cleaner than when it arrived, I also have a standing instruction on my account at the local Jaguar service center to NEVER take my car anywhere near that nasty machine!!!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Your Maszda was screwed up by the car wash, not the paint Mazda uses. If you can't hand wash yourself, at least have it professionally opti-coated, that will last for years and any swirls will not be in your paint.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I am fortunate enough that all Home Depots in my area have the touch less car washes. Try and check the ones in your area.

The old fashioned self wash, carwashes are also an alternative. I also have the polaris white and i can assure you all colors will get swirls regardless of the washing method. The dark colors show it more though.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Lately I have been cleaning my black F-type with waterless car wash. I use meguiars because that is what is available locally. Any creamy quick detailed would probably work as well. Our water is very alkaline and leaves water spots so even hand washing is kind of iffy.

The waterless method is quick and easy. Spray with the product, wait a few seconds, wipe gently with a folded microfiber cloth, spray another spot, flip the cloth over, wipe again...it takes less than ten minutes to do the whole car. I use about eight cloths per cleaning and use a clean section for every couple square feet of surface.

I do the hood and decklid, then the sides, then the nose, then the rear, and last the sills. This helps avoid dragging dirty rags across the car. No swirls yet, and no water spots either.

Touch-free car washes as well as the other kind of automated car washes both use harsh cleansers that can corrode your car's fasteners and other exposed metal parts.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I started out using a touchless car wash occasionally, and I found the water proofing on the convertible roof wore off quicker than I expected, so I only hand-wash now.

But I see it's time to reproof the roof again, anyway.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:50 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Everything these guys sell is first rate. Plus detailing videos of their products.
Adam's Polishes | Premium Car Care Supplies

Old 06-01-2015, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Nookieman
Lately I have been cleaning my black F-type with waterless car wash. I use meguiars because that is what is available locally. Any creamy quick detailed would probably work as well. Our water is very alkaline and leaves water spots so even hand washing is kind of iffy.

The waterless method is quick and easy. Spray with the product, wait a few seconds, wipe gently with a folded microfiber cloth, spray another spot, flip the cloth over, wipe again...it takes less than ten minutes to do the whole car. I use about eight cloths per cleaning and use a clean section for every couple square feet of surface.

I do the hood and decklid, then the sides, then the nose, then the rear, and last the sills. This helps avoid dragging dirty rags across the car. No swirls yet, and no water spots either.

Touch-free car washes as well as the other kind of automated car washes both use harsh cleansers that can corrode your car's fasteners and other exposed metal parts.
This is also how I wash my car in between full details. I go to one of those self car wash places to hose the car down (to remove any dirt/etc.). Then I drive home and use a waterless was and wax with microfibers towels. Total cost is probably $10-$15 and honestly, if I do it correctly, looks just as good as my normal $150 wash/wax at the local detail shop. It's always tempting when I pass by one of those car wash places to pull in and let them do it, but I know I'll regret it.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

I really admire you guys who hand wash their cars regularly. While I don't mind doing it once in a while, I'm too lazy to hand wash my car regularly.

There is a touchless car wash in the area, but its about 20 miles away
There are these people called "mobile detailers". I pay one of them to come to my house every 2 weeks and wash both my cars. He charges $30 per car with a $75 minimum callout fee. I use the extra $15 for things like leather cleaning and conditioning, or applying wheel wax.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

On the plus side, a detailer should be able to remove swirl marks. But it will cost quite a bit more than just having them detail the car.

Quick Reply: Paint swirls after car washes