F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Rear Diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 03:22 PM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Painting Rear Diffuser

Made an appointment to have my rear diffuser painted Firesand to match as in the design pack. I really like the look and got a quote from a reputable body shop to have it painted and cleared for $275 USD total. I think it's a decent price since they are going to have the car for 3 days and remove it to paint it. I'll post up pictures when completed.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:44 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JacksonvilleJag
Made an appointment to have my rear diffuser painted Firesand to match as in the design pack. I really like the look and got a quote from a reputable body shop to have it painted and cleared for $275 USD total. I think it's a decent price since they are going to have the car for 3 days and remove it to paint it. I'll post up pictures when completed.
Did you do the calipers yet ?
I really want to see pic's of your car out in the sun, maybe with the new BRG SVR grocery getter in the back ground

Old 07-27-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Did you do the calipers yet ?
I really want to see pic's of your car out in the sun, maybe with the new BRG SVR grocery getter in the back ground
Unfortunately, no. I just haven't been home for long enough stretches to get it done. I really need to make the time though.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:07 PM

Unfortunately, no. I just haven't been home for long enough stretches to get it done. I really need to make the time though.
Bummer, all work and no play makes ……..well....hopefully the better half is enjoying her new toy.
Hell, the cars going to be in the shop for the rear diffuser already, see if they can do the calipers for you ?

Old 07-27-2020, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Yes...That is a very fair price for painting an clear. And since you are leaving the car, they can "tint" to match perfectly. Should look nice!
DC

The following users liked this post:
JacksonvilleJag (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 12:30 AM

Bummer, all work and no play makes ……..well....hopefully the better half is enjoying her new toy.
Hell, the cars going to be in the shop for the rear diffuser already, see if they can do the calipers for you ?
That she is, it's a magnificent beast. I asked them if they could do the calipers, but they won't use the G2 paint I already have. They want to remove the calipers, clean, paint reinstall, and of course brake bleed. Costs went way up, and like I said, I already have the G2.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:21 AM

Sounds like it their loss, definitely wouldn't want them pulling the calipers.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:31 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

That she is, it's a magnificent beast. I asked them if they could do the calipers, but they won't use the G2 paint I already have. They want to remove the calipers, clean, paint reinstall, and of course brake bleed. Costs went way up, and like I said, I already have the G2.
If its a reputable place, this is the right way to do it. If they use the G2 and it peels or whatnot, they would be liable to redo it and that cost more for them than its worth.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:32 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds like it their loss, definitely wouldn't want them pulling the calipers.
Definitely not a loss. if its not do correctly, they could be liable to redo and cost more money and headache for them.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rummy636
Definitely not a loss. if its not do correctly, they could be liable to redo and cost more money and headache for them.
No doubt, I meant them not just using his paint and hand painting on the car,

Old 07-28-2020, 11:43 AM

I understand their position completely, I just don't want to spend that much to do the calipers when I already have the Firesand G2 that I paid for, and I'm good with the results you get from the G2. I'll get to it eventually. I really like the way the rear end looks with the quad pipes and design pack. Excited to get it done.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:34 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I understand their position completely, I just don't want to spend that much to do the calipers when I already have the Firesand G2 that I paid for, and I'm good with the results you get from the G2. I'll get to it eventually. I really like the way the rear end looks with the quad pipes and design pack. Excited to get it done.
I will be excited to see the rear diffuser the color of the car! As for the G2 paint, I think you will be very happy with the look as well as the quality.
I believe other then a removal and stripping of the calipers so the can be powered coated you won't find a better durable paint anywhere that's color matched as well.
That just my experience.

Make sure you post pictures when completed.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:23 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8
I will be excited to see the rear diffuser the color of the car! As for the G2 paint, I think you will be very happy with the look as well as the quality.
I believe other then a removal and stripping of the calipers so the can be powered coated you won't find a better durable paint anywhere that's color matched as well.
That just my experience.

Make sure you post pictures when completed.
Agreed, like most things; you can spend as little or as much as you want. I have removed and re-sprayed and powder coated calipers and they looked amazing - I used to do car shows and details are important especially when you’re taking wheels off for display, but I eventually tried G2 on one of my daily drivers and was pleasantly surprised. Easy to use, levels nicely, but like all paint work, the prep is about 90% of the work and will show in the results. I have a VW R32 with the signature blue calipers and they are fading- I just recently bought a G2 kit for it and the color test I did was spot on - I’m sure they will look factory fresh when done. Also planning to do the school bus (wrangler unlimited) with G2 this fall; although the truck is white and the calipers will match, but thinking it may take two applications. Good luck and don’t fret about your choice.

Last edited by gg2684; 07-28-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:01 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gg2684
Agreed, like most things; you can spend as little or as much as you want. I have removed and re-sprayed and powder coated calipers and they looked amazing - I used to do car shows and details are important especially when you’re taking wheels off for display, but I eventually tried G2 on one of my daily drivers and was pleasantly surprised. Easy to use, levels nicely, but like all paint work, the prep is about 90% of the work and will show in the results. I have a VW R32 with the signature blue calipers and they are fading- I just recently bought a G2 kit for it and the color test I did was spot on - I’m sure they will look factory fresh when done. Also planning to do the school bus (wrangler unlimited) with G2 this fall; although the truck is white and the calipers will match, but thinking it may take two applications. Good luck and don’t fret about your choice.
Correct Prep is the key to good adhesion with any paint product. I went over my calipers multiple time with their supplied cleaner with stiff non metal brush and rags.
Each pass I used a clean rag to gage how clean they were.

This method worked for me. I also used multiple size paint brushes to get into tighter spaces and not get paint where it didn't belong.
Masked areas the could be masked.

I personally think its a great product and anyone that has seen my car since was amazed and thought the car came that way.
Been to about 5 or six cruise nights or shows.

One other thing to note is the rear caliper castings are not as smooth so you will never achieve complete flat paint on those and the fronts
are better but again not completely smooth.

I am completely satisfied with my results. 1 kit will do all 4 calipers easy 3 coats with some left over.