F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paramount Performance bumperless grill - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Paramount Performance bumperless grill - DIY

After seeing the P7 I ended up ordering the Paramount Performance "Project Predator" grill. Let me start by saying, DO NOT ORDER THIS GRILL! Unless, you have lots of free time on your hands. The quality is absolutely horrible! The surround comes VERY deformed, flimsy like rubber and has most of the clips broken off. The grill has tons of flashing and rough spots. BUT! You can make something out of it as the grill has the same mounting tabs as the factory surround. I started by tossing the surround in the trash. Then spent several hours filing and sanding the grill to an acceptable level. Cut out the factory sensor mounts and epoxied them into the grill. For the surround, I filled in the cutouts in the factory surround like "xdave". I'm not a body shop guy but I think it came out ok. Just waiting on the paint to arrive. Have about 10 hours into this so far not counting the removal of the front end.
Paramount grill - $569
epoxy and misc -$60
Paint and prep supplies - $90
Having a P7ish grill -PRICELESS!

Attached Thumbnails Paramount Performance bumperless grill - DIY-imag0787.jpg   Paramount Performance bumperless grill - DIY-imag0782.jpg   Paramount Performance bumperless grill - DIY-imag0783.jpg   Paramount Performance bumperless grill - DIY-imag0784.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Apparent:
jaguny (08-14-2017), tberg (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 895 Posts

That's a shame - I bought an exhaust from Paramount about 7 years back and they were great to deal with. Fingers crossed the grill will be worth all of the stuffing around.

There was a thread recently about the internal cross bar which will be exposed when you do this where posters discussed whether it was a good idea to paint or wrap it before putting the bumperless grill on. If you havent seen it, it would be worth a look.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
That's a shame - I bought an exhaust from Paramount about 7 years back and they were great to deal with. Fingers crossed the grill will be worth all of the stuffing around.

There was a thread recently about the internal cross bar which will be exposed when you do this where posters discussed whether it was a good idea to paint or wrap it before putting the bumperless grill on. If you havent seen it, it would be worth a look.
My crossbar was painted body color (black) but I resprayed it matte black so it won't be as noticeable. You will see it through the grill but even on the P7 car you can.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:54 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Someone else reported that the Paramount grill was garbage quality. Unfortunate.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:53 AM
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

That was me!
The quality of PP is absolutely terrible...
Here is the full story:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-167124/page8/

Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 AM

I'm still polishing this terd... Should be ready for paint this Saturday and assembly either Sunday or next weekend. I'll post pics when finished.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:00 AM

IF! You have way more time than money... This maybe your option for a P7ish grill. I'm OK with the results but a body shop guy would probably cringe. Still could buff out a bit more orange peel. Had some issues with false park sensors activation. Ended up re-epoxied the sensor holders angled up a bit more. Happy with the outcome.

The following users liked this post:
FtypeRRR (08-31-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also fitted a P7 grill, mine was however Jaguar supplied, I think a lot less trouble!

Yours looks terrific, great pictures. I too am suffering with false alerts on the front sensors. I find them less of an issue in low light, such as in my garage but as soon as I get outside they seem to be erratic and I have to press the front sensor button to cancel the false alerts. It has to be some sort of light reflection, maybe setting them to the front edge with no recess.

I have also slightly angled them upward but its still an issue. Last week it got so annoying whilst parking I cancelled the fronts and it seemed to affect the rears and I hit the wall!! Only touched but I am now left with a couple of pin head sized dents, which I must have fixed.

If I cant get them to work perfectly I am going to put back the original grille and have the plate fixing holes on the center bar filled and painted and keep the licence plate on the Sto n show bracket.

A couple of guys claim to have no issues with the PDC but I am sceptical.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Looks great. I notice your sensors are positioned a bit lower than mine. When I had mine done, I went by Rospco's directions to keep them as close to the original vertical position as possible. He said the horizontal position wasn't that critical but for some reason the vertical was. I have had no issues with sensors working properly.

Attached Thumbnails Paramount Performance bumperless grill - DIY-2050_12310007.jpg  
Old 08-27-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by myer
I also fitted a P7 grill, mine was however Jaguar supplied, I think a lot less trouble!

Yours looks terrific, great pictures. I too am suffering with false alerts on the front sensors. I find them less of an issue in low light, such as in my garage but as soon as I get outside they seem to be erratic and I have to press the front sensor button to cancel the false alerts. It has to be some sort of light reflection, maybe setting them to the front edge with no recess.

I have also slightly angled them upward but its still an issue. Last week it got so annoying whilst parking I cancelled the fronts and it seemed to affect the rears and I hit the wall!! Only touched but I am now left with a couple of pin head sized dents, which I must have fixed.

If I cant get them to work perfectly I am going to put back the original grille and have the plate fixing holes on the center bar filled and painted and keep the licence plate on the Sto n show bracket.

A couple of guys claim to have no issues with the PDC but I am sceptical.
I had to re-epoxy the sensors 3 times (including reassemble the front end to test) to get it perfect. My car is also lowered so that added to the problem. Side note... Now when I'm about a foot from a curb when parking they start going off. Patience = Win!

Old 08-28-2017, 03:55 AM

The honeycombs of the PP Grill are slightly larger than those of the P7.
I have also mounted the sensors slightly higher than you. From the middle one honeycomb
down and five honeycombs to the side.
My sensors work without problems. Also my car is deeper.
Your grille looks very good. Was certainly a lot of work. Good Job!

Apparent (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 AM

There is still a visible difference.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Meister_Kajo

There is still a visible difference.
Would totally agree... The PP grill requires A LOT of work. I didn't work on the back side as much as I probably should have. From the front you don't see those at all.
Wish I would have done the sensors where you mentioned. I probably would have had less of an issue with errors. Glad to be done with it!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Maybe I'm not as critical, but it looks pretty good from my angle. Let me know why you open your shop.

Apparent (08-28-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 04:23 AM

My post should not be criticism. I have also previously had the PP Grill in my hands and am desperate. I know how much work that was ...Luckily I could still order and buy the P7 Grill ...You did it very well.So good job ...

Old 08-31-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

well, sounds like a lot of work, but i love the look. congrats!

Old 08-31-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I love the look, but in the rare case where I need to park on the street I just know some careless idiot would park by braille and ruin my day.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Received 119 Likes on 29 Posts

Bumping this thread -

I'm attempting to place an order for this grille through Paramounts website, but there are several technical issues preventing me from doing so. I have reached out to their team to see if it can be resolved. I haven't seen anyone who has purchased this grille recently and I am hoping that maybe the quality has improved. If not I am willing to do some DIY, but as it's hard enough and expensive enough to source a P7 grille, this seems like the only alternative.

Last edited by frostysauce; 03-23-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by frostysauce
Bumping this thread -

I'm attempting to place an order for this grille through Paramounts website, but there are several technical issues preventing me from doing so. I have reached out to their team to see if it can be resolved. I haven't seen anyone who has purchased this grille recently and I am hoping that maybe the quality has improved. If not I am willing to do some DIY, but as it's hard enough and expensive enough to source a P7 grille, this seems like the only alternative.
pm sent.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased a P7 grill and surround about 2 months ago, right at $1,300.00. Ouch. Not sure what happened to the price but I wanted the parts so I paid with no question/complaint.

Quick Reply: Paramount Performance bumperless grill - DIY