F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking brake fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 07:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default parking brake fault

i am having a issue that just happened im getting a parking brake fault code ive tried numerous resets and its not working still showing the message .

im located in long island was hoping any knows a indy shop i can take it because the dealerships appointments are 2 weeks from now

Old 11-06-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

You are lucky only 2 weeks!!
One local dealer is out 3 months.
Hope you get it fixed soon.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

What is the problem?
Dose the brake not apply or is it stuck on?
May be OK to drive even with fault code
Perhap dealer can explain whar that code really means.

Old 11-06-2021, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

When you say that you reset multiple times, what do you mean by "reset?" Do you mean putting it into maintenance mode and then back to normal, or some other process?

Old 11-06-2021, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
What is the problem?
Dose the brake not apply or is it stuck on?
May be OK to drive even with fault code
Perhap dealer can explain whar that code really means.
my brakes work fine its the Electronic Brake thats malfunctioning

i never use the EPB the other morning started up the car and i got parking brake needs to be calibrated message i tried the calibration method applying the EPB and brakes at the same time didnt work for me . it actually got me stuck attempting it . lucky i got the EPB to disengage and drove it to the dealership .

Old 11-06-2021, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
When you say that you reset multiple times, what do you mean by "reset?" Do you mean putting it into maintenance mode and then back to normal, or some other process?
tapping the brake pedal and applying the EPB at the sametime

Old 11-06-2021, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
You are lucky only 2 weeks!!
One local dealer is out 3 months.
Hope you get it fixed soon.

wow yeah thanks i should know by monday

Old 11-06-2021, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

You could try putting it in maintenance more and then back to normal mode. This is from my HOWTO notes. I got it here, but did not note who posted it.

Electric Brake Maintenance Mode
Its a little bit more complicated than just using a caliper piston tool to retract the piston. You need the JLR SDD tool to put it in the maintenance position. IF SDD is not available:

CAUTION: This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be OFF) and the parking brake system released.

NOTE: This procedure allows the parking brake to be released when removing and installing new rear brake pads or brake discs.

1.Press and hold the parking brake switch in the release position.
2.Wait 2 seconds.
3.Press and hold the accelerator pedal in the wide open throttle position.
4.Wait 2 seconds.
5.Turn the ignition Off and back On immediately.
NOTE: An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake has been released in Service Mode.
6. Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake switch to the neutral position.

Deactivation

CAUTIONS: This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be OFF) and the parking brake system in Service Mode.

Once the rear brake pads or brake discs have been installed, the Service Mode must be cancelled.

1.Press and hold the parking brake switch in the apply position.
2.Wait 2 seconds.
4.Wait 2 seconds.
NOTE: An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake has been released from the Service Mode.
6.Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake switch to the neutral position.

Old 11-08-2021, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
You could try putting it in maintenance more and then back to normal mode. This is from my HOWTO notes. I got it here, but did not note who posted it.

Electric Brake Maintenance Mode
Its a little bit more complicated than just using a caliper piston tool to retract the piston. You need the JLR SDD tool to put it in the maintenance position. IF SDD is not available:

CAUTION: This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be OFF) and the parking brake system released.

NOTE: This procedure allows the parking brake to be released when removing and installing new rear brake pads or brake discs.

1.Press and hold the parking brake switch in the release position.
2.Wait 2 seconds.
4.Wait 2 seconds.
NOTE: An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake has been released in Service Mode.
6. Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake switch to the neutral position.

Deactivation

CAUTIONS: This procedure requires the vehicle in the Park or Neutral position, with the ignition turned ON (the engine must be OFF) and the parking brake system in Service Mode.

Once the rear brake pads or brake discs have been installed, the Service Mode must be cancelled.

1.Press and hold the parking brake switch in the apply position.
2.Wait 2 seconds.
4.Wait 2 seconds.
NOTE: An audible noise will be heard to confirm that the parking brake has been released from the Service Mode.
6.Release the accelerator pedal and release the parking brake switch to the neutral position.

thanks hopefully it doesnt occur again car is at the dealer they the EPB was separated from the rear caliper

Old 07-16-2023, 03:52 PM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Going to resurrect this thread since I'm having a similar issue on my 2018 F-Type R-Dynamic 6MT.

Originally, I had the parking brake calibration error message. Brought the car in and there was an error code/fault on the right EPB calliper. So, the put on a new parking brake calliper. Got home after that service and found the parking brake fault message came up. Does the parking brake need to be recalibrated after this type of service? I thought maybe resetting things (ie disconnecting the battery) would help. It seemed to clear the problem for 2 days... now, I'm getting a "parking brake fault" amber message. Notwithstanding the error, I can hear the EPB engaging and disengaging when I push the parking brake button.

No clue what's going on here and I have a feeling that this may be a rare enough situation that even the mechanic will scratch his head.... Any suggestions??