Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Sensor adjustment on Paramount grille

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking Sensor adjustment on Paramount grille

Hello,

Looking for advice on best methods to adjust the front parking sensors on a Paramount bumperless grille. I have read a number of forums and have tried multiple arrangements / positions with no success. Sensors act irradicly with no consistency. My setup is a SVR bumper with a Paramount grille. Looks fantastic but can't seem to find the correct position for the sensors to function properly. I have tried a number of the hex locations, mounted in the back and in front of the grille, again with not real success. Any suggestions, tips or comments welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 PM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

What are you using to hold the sensor in the grille?
Got any pics ?

Old 10-01-2020, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by madmax1911
What are you using to hold the sensor in the grille?
Got any pics ?
I initially made brakets which i was going to adhere to the back of the grille after i had aligned correctly. When installed in bracket the face of sensor was recessed about half the way inside a hex opening. Sensors continued to sound so i thought the grille was interfering as i read in a forum to try to push out as far as possible. I proceeded to repostion outside the grille by temporarily zip tieing in place for trail and error. Ive tried numerous positions and pointing upward and downward throught the grille and seem to get better results in some areas but they still act very irradic. They are currently zipped tied to inside of grille and can share pics is interested. I also forgot to mention this was and SVR bumper conversion. The car is an R.

Wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and worked through a solution.

Brackets are not being used in pic, simply zip tied in place to try to protrude as much as possible. They are alos slightly positioned to point upward

Last edited by Deogee; 10-01-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

You have the sensors mounted in the correct honeycombs, but they are obviously pointed at the wrong angle. They need to be aimed straight horizonal and held steady. I don't believe you can accomplish that with a zip tie mount. PM @Meister_Kajo and have him send you the 3D printed mounting blocks that press into the back of the grille (that can actually be accomplished from the front without removing the nose).

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-02-2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:05 AM
Received 198 Likes on 119 Posts

+1 Mine are almost vertical, maybe 5% downward angle. Your honeycombs appear slightly different in size but your overall position looks about right.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You have the sensors mounted in the correct honeycombs, but they are obviously pointed at the wrong angle. They need to be aimed straight horizonal and held steady. I don't believe you can accomplish that with a zip tie mount. PM @Meister_Kajo and have him send you the 3D printed mounting blocks that press into the back of the grille (that can actually be accomplished from the front without removing the nose).

Thank you. I'll PM @Meister_Kajo and give it a try. My original install using my brackets were were pretty ridgid but maybe not aligned correctly. Fingered crossed.🤞

Shout out to you unhinged, I've read alot of helpful info from you. Much appreciated!

Old 10-02-2020, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by madmax1911
+1 Mine are almost vertical, maybe 5% downward angle. Your honeycombs appear slightly different in size but your overall position looks about right.

Thanks madmax. I'll try the sensors holders as suggested to see of if helps. I feel at some point i had them pointing fairly straight and horizontal but hard to tell. Thanks for thr reply, much appreciated!

Old 10-04-2020, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Deogee
Thank you. I'll PM @Meister_Kajo and give it a try. My original install using my brackets were were pretty ridgid but maybe not aligned correctly. Fingered crossed.🤞

Shout out to you unhinged, I've read alot of helpful info from you. Much appreciated!
@Unhingd @madmax1911 is @Meister_Kajo still an active member? Sent a PM, but first time I've ever done, could have done it incorrectly. Lol.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Deogee
@Unhingd @madmax1911 is @Meister_Kajo still an active member? Sent a PM, but first time I've ever done, could have done it incorrectly. Lol.
Not to worry. He sometimes takes several days to reply.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any 3D printed parking sensors up for grabs?

Thanks

Mark

Old 02-16-2021, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Robert Wilkinson
Does anyone have any 3D printed parking sensors up for grabs?

Thanks

Mark
Hi,

Unfortunately it appears that all of the sources making these dried up, unless someone has extra on here. It is pretty straight forward to make a set using Black Marine Board and cutting them out of that.

The dimensions (I think from Unhingd) are below from the original post. You could use these to make, or have someone make or 3D print a set.

Good luck.
DC

And here is what they look like up close for reference:

EDIT:
Re-drew Unhingd's first drawing as it seems a bit hard to read. Just used Photoshop, so it is not to scale, but easier/clearer to read.

Last edited by Therock88; 02-16-2021 at 02:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DJS (02-16-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Yes...those look like my chicken scratches. Is Meister_Kajo not supplying these anymore? If he doesn’t respond to a PM, I might be able to find his email address.

Old 02-20-2021, 07:29 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

So the sensors have to be horizontal? They can't be vertical? Then thats my trouble.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart Satter
So the sensors have to be horizontal? They can't be vertical? Then thats my trouble.
The way I have my sensors mounted, the wires come up from the bottom.
The illustration above is for the bracket only that the sensor snaps into.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I went ahead and got myself a paramount grille and might as well pick up the mantle for producing these sensor mounts .Here's my start so far (based on the diagrams from above). I gave the front section a nominal thickness of 5mm. Not sure if it should be higher or lower, I'm eyeballing a little bit:

I'm missing some information on some thicknesses and hole sizes. Can anyone give me measurements on these:

Also, how are these mounted to the grille? Is it just a press fit? Epoxy? Anything else that might warrant an upgrade/redesign?

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2021, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Whalesmash
I went ahead and got myself a paramount grille and might as well pick up the mantle for producing these sensor mounts .Here's my start so far (based on the diagrams from above). I gave the front section a nominal thickness of 5mm. Not sure if it should be higher or lower, I'm eyeballing a little bit:

I'm missing some information on some thicknesses and hole sizes. Can anyone give me measurements on these:

Also, how are these mounted to the grille? Is it just a press fit? Epoxy? Anything else that might warrant an upgrade/redesign?

Thanks!
T should = ~ 8 MM. It is about the thickness of the grille. The longer tabs press up against the back of the grille, and you want the front to be about flush.
ID1 and ID2 should be able to be deduced from the other drawing above for the actual sensors (included again below).
DC

Old 04-26-2021, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Therock88
T should = ~ 8 MM. It is about the thickness of the grille. The longer tabs press up against the back of the grille, and you want the front to be about flush.
ID1 and ID2 should be able to be deduced from the other drawing above for the actual sensors (included again below).
DC

[snip]
The extra picture of what the sensor actually looks like helps a lot. Much appreciated.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member

The extra picture of what the sensor actually looks like helps a lot. Much appreciated.
No problem...Also...people use two different types. But the opening is the same...Just one has wires going back and the other (original front sensor) goes to the side.

The front F Type OEM sensor picture is below. Again, the front part is the same size.

DC

The following users liked this post:
Whalesmash (04-27-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 03:33 PM

Unfortunately it looks like the paramount grille is off spec from the OEM P7 by quite a margin. There's space throughout the entire honeycomb, but I don't think it will impact the functionality once the mount is glued onto the grille. It's a start at least.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately it looks like the paramount grille is off spec from the OEM P7 by quite a margin. There's space throughout the entire honeycomb, but I don't think it will impact the functionality once the mount is glued onto the grille. It's a start at least.
Wow...That is too bad. The Paramount grille does look much more "inconsistent" than the OEM. BUT, you did a really nice job with the sensor holders. Impressive...Nice work! What you made should work perfectly well.

DC

Quick Reply: Parking Sensor adjustment on Paramount grille