F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Academy - Level 1 - Which is the bext track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015 | 03:16 PM
|
Default Performance Academy - Level 1 - Which is the bext track?

I am wondering which location would be the best for Performance Academy Level 1.
New Orleans, LA
Monticello, NY
Las Vegas, NV

I don't mind travelling anywhere.
I don't mind the dates (how far out they are).
I guess all 3 cities/states are good for a weekend or 3-4 days visit.

So my question is more from the perspective of the folks who would be there, the track and weather during the timeframe.

Old 05-06-2015 | 03:34 PM

I think there are 2-3 people for the Saturday morning session at Monticello in June.

Not much around there though except a nice outlet about 30-40 mins away that you can send your s/o too while at the track. NYC is about 2hrs away if you want to spend a few days there.

If you're making a vacation out of it, I would probably pick Vegas ... but i'm also a degenerate gambler, lol

The following users liked this post:
rav1up (05-14-2015)
Old 05-06-2015 | 09:22 PM

I was faced with the same options, and I picked Monticello as I feel it is by far the 'best' track of all 3:

NOLA is a relatively flat course, and a buddy of mine who races spec racers and has raced there said it is OK, but nothing special.

Vegas track-wise is a road course in an oval track, with an inside road course (which I am guessing the school would use) and an outside road course. The road course is, in my opinion, an afterthought, and again, nothing special. The inside course appears to be carved out of the parking lot.

Monticello is a purpose-built race course with elevation changes and a pretty amazing backdrop. Feedback is that it is a challenging course with a variety of corners and handling experiences. This, to me, is a much more true racing experience, and not like going to a driver training course in a big parking lot. It has the true road course track experience.

As the previous poster pointed out, Monticello is not the place to go for night life. But, if you want the best driving experience, Monticello is, in my opinion, the only option on the schedule, and where I spent my money. I'm doing the Level 1 and Level 2 (and would have done Level 3 if it was available) since I'll be traveling from Texas for this, and would like to experience as much as possible.

Sonoma and Circuit of the Americas would have been at the top of the list if they were offered, but I think Monticello is an interesting option.

Just my $.02!

Frank

rav1up (05-14-2015)
Old 05-07-2015 | 05:29 AM

I am waiting for a day closer to me - Homestead, FL is my choice. Looks like I may be waiting for a while.

Old 05-07-2015 | 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by ApolloBeachRetiree
I am waiting for a day closer to me - Homestead, FL is my choice. Looks like I may be waiting for a while.
Usually in December

ApolloBeachRetiree (05-08-2015)
Old 05-07-2015 | 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Any idea if they will have one in Austin again? (Circuit of the Americas)

Old 05-07-2015 | 08:07 PM

Thursday afternoon Monticello for me. Really nice track did Porsche event there as well

Old 05-07-2015 | 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Any idea if they will have one in Austin again? (Circuit of the Americas)
I am hoping for Austin myself......

Old 05-09-2015 | 08:19 PM

I did the Jaguar Performance Academy basic course 5 years ago when I got an XFR. From what I recall, that was an all-day event. It was cool.

Now, I have an F-Type R, and am planning to go again, but they changed the course. Apparently, Level One is complementary and is only a half day. Level 2 will cost me an extra $1000 and it is a full day.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is the Level 2 class the same thing as what used to be called the "basic" class? They seem to be but I'm not quite sure.

2. Is Level 2 worth paying a $1000????

In my opinion, Jaguar should offer your level class complimentary if you attended previous classes and keep buying subsequent R models.

Old 05-09-2015 | 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XFactoR
Level 2 will cost me an extra $1000 and it is a full day.

1. Is the Level 2 class the same thing as what used to be called the "basic" class? They seem to be but I'm not quite sure.

Does that $1000 include the use of their cars, or do you use your own? $1k is pretty pricey if you're using your own car.

Old 05-10-2015 | 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

Since it is home I'm waiting for Vegas. For anyone picking a place to travel, well it's "Vegas" after all! Nice weather in spring.

Old 05-11-2015 | 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by XFactoR
I did the Jaguar Performance Academy basic course 5 years ago when I got an XFR. From what I recall, that was an all-day event. It was cool.

Now, I have an F-Type R, and am planning to go again, but they changed the course. Apparently, Level One is complementary and is only a half day. Level 2 will cost me an extra $1000 and it is a full day.

In my opinion, Jaguar should offer your level class complimentary if you attended previous classes and keep buying subsequent R models.

I believe the cost for level 2 is $1,895, just to get your numbers correct. That price includes use of their cars (you do not, and cannot, use your own car) for the full day class. Here is the link to the description of Level 2:

Performance Driving Academy: Level 2 Courses | Jaguar USA

Frank

Old 05-11-2015 | 07:12 PM

Yes, yes I know. My numbers are correct because they're going to credit me $895 and charge me $1000 if I do Level 2.

The question: is Level 2 essentially the Basic course repackaged and retitled?

Old 05-14-2015 | 04:24 PM
|

Originally Posted by fstark
Vegas track-wise is a road course in an oval track, with an inside road course (which I am guessing the school would use) and an outside road course. The road course is, in my opinion, an afterthought, and again, nothing special. The inside course appears to be carved out of the parking lot.
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Wondering if Jaguar has hosted the PDA here before and if anyone on the forum attended it to give more details on which track is used. The outer track (not the ring) looks at least worth driving on - everything else in this location looks too plain or boring.

Monticello looks just perfect! Will likely go for the Saturday morning session.

Attached Thumbnails Performance Academy - Level 1 - Which is the bext track?-newyork.png   Performance Academy - Level 1 - Which is the bext track?-lasvegas.png  
Old 05-14-2015 | 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

The road course in Vegas was built for the Derek Daly racing school, which I believe isn't there anymore.I've never seen the infield on the Nascar track used for racing. There are several different racing venues at the site. Are we sure the are using the Speedway and not the private Spring Mountain track. That would be closer to Monticello.

Old 05-15-2015 | 07:35 PM
|

Originally Posted by bjg625
The road course in Vegas was built for the Derek Daly racing school, which I believe isn't there anymore.I've never seen the infield on the Nascar track used for racing. There are several different racing venues at the site. Are we sure the are using the Speedway and not the private Spring Mountain track. That would be closer to Monticello.
The pics I posted are of two different locations. The one that is all green and looks inviting is the Monticello track. I'm guessing based on google maps that's the location of the event. Do you know of another track that can be looked at from google maps?
The Vegas one, I see 3 tracks - the speedway oval, one inside the speedway and another outside the speedway. Not sure which one is being used and if this is the correct location at all. All I did was search based on the location mentioned on Jaguar site.

Old 05-15-2015 | 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure they're using the track that looks like it was carved out of parking lot (#1 in the photo above). I've driven it at a Shelby event (their assembly plant is next door). It's not very good and completely flat.

rav1up (05-18-2015)
Old 05-16-2015 | 07:43 AM

Monitcello is as pictured a gorgeous private road course. The surface is perfect and accoutrements outstanding. I've used the infield road course at pocono several times. Really it's not how pretty a course is it the challenge of the drive. Top gear used an old airport!

rav1up (05-18-2015)
Old 05-17-2015 | 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

The Shelby plant moved to the strip to attract more visitors. I hope they use Spring Mountain, not really any more inconvenient than the Speedway and not built for Nascar!

Old 05-17-2015 | 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
The Shelby plant moved to the strip to attract more visitors. I hope they use Spring Mountain, not really any more inconvenient than the Speedway and not built for Nascar!
I did the Z06 school at Spring Mt. It is an awesome facility.

Quick Reply: Performance Academy - Level 1 - Which is the bext track?