F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Clutch/Flywheel Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I was the first clutch that slipped dangerously, and now am at 35K mileage on the 2nd (or possibly 3rd, but truly don't think so), and I am sure I will pick up my car from brake service and they will say I need to do the clutch soon. If they even looked lol.

I am like Sin... a non committal maybe, but I am interested enough to want updates. =) I doubt my need of a new one will coincide with this project's completion.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

The upgraded clutch will be available by the end of next week. The flywheel another 2 weeks thereafter. I have no intention of installing either of these before the just installed gen 4 clutch burns up. So if anyone wants to be the guinea pig on this, just let me know. Of course, if you can get a new clutch under warranty, that's the direction you should go.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

What kind of characteristics do you expect out of the newly developed setup?

Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
What kind of characteristics do you expect out of the newly developed setup?
The clutch is being designed to handle 475+ lb-ft of torque, so I'm expecting no slippage whatsoever and much longer life. The pedal pressure may increase, but the fabricator doesn't think by much. (The gen 4 clutch feels too soft to me, anyway).
The flywheel will allow for faster engine spool-up and spool-down, so will allow faster shifting. All theoretical at this point, but will be an interesting experiment.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
(The gen 4 clutch feels too soft to me, anyway).
I am still on gen 3 OEM, can you please comment more on gen 4?

Old 02-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

The flywheel will allow for faster engine spool-up and spool-down, so will allow faster shifting. All theoretical at this point, but will be an interesting experiment.
What about driveline shock dampening? Any thoughts/progress on this? I think faster spool translates to higher torque spikes, existing stock system already ripped gearbox and LSD on my car over maybe 20 hours of track time.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

I am still on gen 3 OEM, can you please comment more on gen 4?
The gen 4 clutch feels a bit strange. The toggle point is relatively close to the floor, but the point of engagement is higher on the pedal. Those two points usually coincide. At the point of toggle, it requires a typical amount of pedal pressure, but elsewhere in the throw feels a bit wimpy.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

What about driveline shock dampening? Any thoughts/progress on this? I think faster spool translates to higher torque spikes, existing stock system already ripped gearbox and LSD on my car over maybe 20 hours of track time.
The faster spool won't necessarily increase the shock loading on the drivetrain as it is offset by the lower inertial mass. The real impact (both meanings implied) will come from eliminating the dual-mass spring loaded flywheel. The dual mass flywheel was introduced to reduce drivetrain damage and engine stalling among a population that rarely drives manual transmissions anymore. Properly used, the clutch pedal is all that should be needed to avoid drivetrain damage. Shock to the driveline is also likely to loose traction at the tires. Gotta be smooth!

Old 02-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Properly used, the clutch pedal is all that should be needed to avoid drivetrain damage.
This is unreasonable ask. The set of people who could drive manual to this level everywhere, every time, and the set of people who could afford an F-type is tiny to non-existent.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

This is unreasonable ask. The set of people who could drive manual to this level everywhere, every time, and the set of people who could afford an F-type is tiny to non-existent.
I can’t argue with that.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Ok. Have some background info to offer:

1st clutch (gen 1 clutch, gen 1 flywheel): Pressure plate exploded after 800 miles. Flywheel, clutchkit and throw-out cylinder all needed replacing.

2nd clutch (gen 1 clutch, gen 1 flywheel): Slipping from day 1. They finally agreed to replace under a TSB 7000 miles later. Again all 3 components replaced.

3rd clutch (gen 2 clutch, gen 2 flywheel): At 14,000 miles on new clutch, shifting into all gears becomes difficult when engine is running. Clutch, pressure plate and flywheel all burnt to a crisp. down to rivets on both sides of the clutch disc. Throw-out cylinder also to be replaced.

This is ridiculous. I have not been abusing this clutch and have pushed other cars much harder. I have never gotten less than 40k miles out of a clutch before, even when towing.

4th clutch: Jaguar Customer Service is claiming at this point, that the clutch is an ordinary wear item but is considering some kind of "financial assistance". The design and production of a high performance clutch and 2 piece lightened flywheel is underway, but the timing will require me to have the gen 4 clutch, gen 2 flywheel installed before the re-engineered parts are available.

5th clutch: The HiPerf parts will be tested as soon as clutch 4 fails (and we know it will).
Hi Lance,

Haven't stopped by here in at least a year now, but just dropped in to see if any of my old buds were around, and it's nice to see a number of familiar screen names still here.

Wow on the clutch thing, and the reason I got out of the F-Type is because I couldn't love paddle-shifting no matter how hard I tried. That coupled with the MT problems sealed the deal, and sent me running to a C7 M7 convertible.

It's very sad it's still an issue. I've not heard of a single clutch failure on the M7 in the nearly two years I've been on Corvette Forum. With auto rev match, it is hands-down the most satisfying manual I've ever driven, which is dozens over the years, and I just picked up a new '18 convertible because I had to have the new Sebring Orange.

Keep the good fight!

Old 02-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Foosh,
It’s good to hear from you. Yes, this clutch issue is a huge challenge. I should have the redesigned clutch parts within the next week or two, but I won’t install them until I blow up the fourth clutch set that’s currently in the car.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Jaguar is only paying for 40% of my clutch replacement @ 9500 miles.... thus I am highly interested in this performance option. Please post as soon as you have an opportunity to try it out Unhingd! Or anyone else, for that matter!

Old 06-09-2018, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by approx
Jaguar is only paying for 40% of my clutch replacement @ 9500 miles.... thus I am highly interested in this performance option. Please post as soon as you have an opportunity to try it out Unhingd! Or anyone else, for that matter!
I’ll ping Spec again on Monday.They should be close.I’m hoping to have this set up installed in time for the Blueberry blast.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:56 AM

It's crazy... not to derail the thread too much, but I actually saw the old clutch and they claim it was worn to hell, it's not worn hardly at all to my eye. Took some caliper measurements and pictures and let them have it back (they couldn't let me take it since it was a partial warranty replacement). Apparently the springs held in by a plastic bit (????) INSIDE the clutch came loose when the plastic bit broke. How is that NOT a warranty coverage item? How can they claim it was wear?? And even more mind-boggling, why are they using PLASTIC parts inside of a clutch?!?

/end rant

I'll be writing a letter to corporate about this for sure.

EDIT: Unhinged, if you happen to have spec measurements of what a new clutch should be as far as thickness, I'd love to hear it. Mine was 8.23 - 8.29mm throughout.

Last edited by approx; 06-10-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

It's crazy... not to derail the thread too much, but I actually saw the old clutch and they claim it was worn to hell, it's not worn hardly at all to my eye. Took some caliper measurements and pictures and let them have it back (they couldn't let me take it since it was a partial warranty replacement). Apparently the springs held in by a plastic bit (????) INSIDE the clutch came loose when the plastic bit broke. How is that NOT a warranty coverage item? How can they claim it was wear?? And even more mind-boggling, why are they using PLASTIC parts inside of a clutch?!?

/end rant

I'll be writing a letter to corporate about this for sure.

EDIT: Unhinged, if you happen to have spec measurements of what a new clutch should be as far as thickness, I'd love to hear it. Mine was 8.23 - 8.29mm throughout.
Since I was at 22,000 miles When the last clutch failed, There was no reimbursement from Jag. (Previous two clutches we’re replaced under warranty). They also claimed excessive wear even though it was not slipping. It just wouldn’t fully disengage. Clearly the internal mechanism came apart as had the first failed clutch. This is why I am having someone else build a clutch for me.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

Since I was at 22,000 miles When the last clutch failed, There was no reimbursement from Jag. (Previous two clutches we’re replaced under warranty). They also claimed excessive wear even though it was not slipping. It just wouldn’t fully disengage. Clearly the internal mechanism came apart as had the first failed clutch. This is why I am having someone else build a clutch for me.
When mine finally got replaced under warranty, it too had pieces that had come loose and were floating around. The failure to fully disengage came and went as the pieces shifted.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Default Beefed up clutch is done

This uprated clutch is now available if anyone needs a New clutch that won’t be covered under warranty. It’s of no use to me until the lightened flywheel has been completed. P.m. me and I’ll put you in touch with Spec clutch. They can have another one ready for me when the flywheel is done.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:20 AM

This uprated clutch is now available if anyone needs a New clutch that won’t be covered under warranty. It’s of no use to me until the lightened flywheel has been completed. P.m. me and I’ll put you in touch with Spec clutch. They can have another one ready for me when the flywheel is done.
What's the price on that? Has it been tested at all?

Old 06-14-2018, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

What's the price on that? Has it been tested at all?
This first clutch would be the first to be tested. Spec will offer a testing price on it to test it with the OEM flywheel. I should have that number today. Since my current clutch is still good, I have no interest in installing it before the lightened flywheel is ready to go in. If you are interested in providing the test sled, pm me and I'll put you in touch with Spec. I'll be providing the test sled for the lightened (billet) flywheel/clutch combo.

Quick Reply: Performance Clutch/Flywheel Anyone?