Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Clutch/Flywheel Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It’s unlikely we have more than 2 dozen MTs on this forum, so as you suggest, we could infer no statistical significance from a survey.
More importantly, we CAN infer impeccable taste in gearboxes among those that responded to the clutch wear survey.

The following users liked this post:
Biaginir (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Send me the price info. Please. If Jaguar wont cover it (I'm assuming they won't) I think aftermarket would be preferred. then again if I have an issue with the diff later they may try to use the spec clutch against me. Still 2yrs of warranty left.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Biaginir
Send me the price info. Please. If Jaguar wont cover it (I'm assuming they won't) I think aftermarket would be preferred. then again if I have an issue with the diff later they may try to use the spec clutch against me. Still 2yrs of warranty left.
I’ll pm you with specifics later today.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Unhingd do you have a link to where I can purchase this clutch and flywheel?

Old 07-08-2020, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brent Logero
Unhingd do you have a link to where I can purchase this clutch and flywheel?
https://www.specclutch.com/
I do not believe they have sold any other than the prototypes that they shipped to me which are still sitting on a shelf in my garage. The OEM generation 4 clutch has proven to be far more reliable than I expected, and I have therefore not yet had a chance to install the Spec clutch and flywheel. Because the spec clutches are built to order, there is a substantial lead time. If your need is more immediate, you can purchase mine and I’ll place a new order. PM me if that’s the case.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great. thx for the update. I sent you a PM

Old 05-27-2021, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been around a while but appears to still be somewhat active. I am looking at a 2016 F-Type S 6 speed. It has under 20,000 miles. Thanks to this thread I will pull service records to see if a clutch has been changed. I am encouraged to hear the generation 4 clutch has proven to be far more reliable. In all my searching, I was a bit leery if clutch life is that short. I am not looking to track the car, but I do plan to use it for spirited canyon type drives. I am not looking to drag race it nor smoky burnouts, not my style. However I do tend to drive 'enthusiastically'.

I looked at the spec clutch link and a stage 2 clutch with aluminum flywheel seems like a viable option, if it needs to be replaced. I was thinking the stage 2 would offer me a bit of safety margin.

Have any of you done the clutch job yourself? Is this viable for a skilled home mechanic who has done many clutch jobs in his life?

Old 05-28-2021, 08:14 PM
Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

@keitho64 The 4th gen friction disk (and matching pressure plate) along with the 2nd gen flywheel from Jaguar seems to be a good solution.
But if you want to get some more "zing" and support more torque (from a tuned engine)? Then a SPEC stage 2 light weight flywheel and clutch system may be the better answer.
I have been talking with @Unhingd about his set up from SPEC, and we may try a comparison with OEM components (rev up / rev down time, and torque holding ratings).
Note: I found that my 2017 with "slipping" clutch was not covered by Jaguar, as they consider that a maintenance item, they will replace the clutch only if it fails.... so looks like I will opt for an aftermarket solution to get the faster response and higher torque rating.
Second note: some folks suggest that moving to an after market single mass flywheel may give too much noise/vibration/harshness from lack of torque jerk isolation, or the friction disc may not have the same spring isolators... all to be considered.
Third note: I have not been able to find the "manual transmission" service manual... apparently, Jaguar only published the "automatic" version...
Oh well, I have done clutch repairs on Volvos, and it is usually pretty straight forward.

Old 05-29-2021, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HermanWiegman
@keitho64 The 4th gen friction disk (and matching pressure plate) along with the 2nd gen flywheel from Jaguar seems to be a good solution.
But if you want to get some more "zing" and support more torque (from a tuned engine)? Then a SPEC stage 2 light weight flywheel and clutch system may be the better answer.
I have been talking with @Unhingd about his set up from SPEC, and we may try a comparison with OEM components (rev up / rev down time, and torque holding ratings).
Note: I found that my 2017 with "slipping" clutch was not covered by Jaguar, as they consider that a maintenance item, they will replace the clutch only if it fails.... so looks like I will opt for an aftermarket solution to get the faster response and higher torque rating.
Second note: some folks suggest that moving to an after market single mass flywheel may give too much noise/vibration/harshness from lack of torque jerk isolation, or the friction disc may not have the same spring isolators... all to be considered.
Third note: I have not been able to find the "manual transmission" service manual... apparently, Jaguar only published the "automatic" version...
Oh well, I have done clutch repairs on Volvos, and it is usually pretty straight forward.
The clutch replacement is straight forward on an F-Type. Far less complicated than on my MINI.
Herman, I have the MT section from the service manual. I’ll send you a pdf.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-29-2021 at 02:19 PM.