F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Tune

In a past post, there was mention that a "performance tune" would be pushed to dealers. Is anyone aware if this has or will happen?

Old 06-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

That was passed on by one member, who reported that he heard it from someone supposedly with JLR connections. I'm not holding my breath.

It seems to me if they were comfortable bumping up the power levels in existing cars, the smart approach would be to do it on new model year cars, which would generate more sales from current F-Type owners. It makes no financial sense to retrofit.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Pricing Strategy should sort that...

Old 06-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

I haven't heard of anything myself.

I'm working on a Piggyback unit that will plug directly into your engine harness with no wire splicing or cutting. With a good quality A/F wideband you will be able to "Performance tune" your A/F via software provided yourself. Assumptions are about 25-40bhp gain on the V8's. I'll be testing on V6's as well.

I will be testing the prototype on a XKR in the next two weeks.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 06-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

True, except this rumor originated long before the 16s came out with no power changes from 14-15.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:26 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Velocity ap has a pulley and tune package on there website but I don't know anything about it

The following users liked this post:
Buckingham (06-04-2017)
Old 07-19-2015, 09:23 AM
Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts

[QUOTE=sinner;1269865]Velocity ap has a pulley and tune package on there website but I don't know anything about it

The hp & torque gain isn't as much as some of the other tuners claim but they do say that the package has a warranty...which I'd rather have.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Dremorg;1270001]
Originally Posted by sinner
Velocity ap has a pulley and tune package on there website but I don't know anything about it

The hp & torque gain isn't as much as some of the other tuners claim but they do say that the package has a warranty...which I'd rather have.
Key words above are, "they say that the package has a warranty." What does that mean? Most likely it means they'll replace the product. I'd love to see warranty language that says they'll pay to replace or rebuild an engine, but I'd bet a large sum that's not there.

The following users liked this post:
Grumpy Finn (05-28-2016)
Old 07-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

When I get my tune done, I'm likely going with the Eurocharged solution, primarily because they offer a 2 year/20,000 mile warranty...
EUROCHARGED ENGINE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY

Eurocharged is so confident in our tuning offerings that we will warranty any motor against internal parts damage due to issues directly related to our software.
Upon issue, we will require all parts be inspected by an approved dealer for analysis.
Products must be purchased directly through an authorized Eurocharged dealership in the US or Canada and not by a previous owner or 3rd party.
Coverage is for 2 years or 20,000 miles from the original in-service date
Motor coverage is limited to $50,000
Valid maintenance records will be required
Problem parts including the ecu(s) may need to be shipped to Houston for diagnosis and repair
If the issue is deemed to be as a result of our tuning, we will reimburse for all shipping charges
If any parts are missing, we may deny the claim
Warranty claim may be denied if determined that another tuner's software was installed on the vehicle at any given time
Receipt required for Eurocharged software purchase.
That or maybe the Hennesey, which I believe has a 3 year warranty, but more expensive and much more than just a software tune.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Merlin
When I get my tune done, I'm likely going with the Eurocharged solution, primarily because they offer a 2 year/20,000 mile warranty...
EUROCHARGED ENGINE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY

Eurocharged is so confident in our tuning offerings that we will warranty any motor against internal parts damage due to issues directly related to our software.
Upon issue, we will require all parts be inspected by an approved dealer for analysis.
Products must be purchased directly through an authorized Eurocharged dealership in the US or Canada and not by a previous owner or 3rd party.
Coverage is for 2 years or 20,000 miles from the original in-service date
Motor coverage is limited to $50,000
Valid maintenance records will be required
Problem parts including the ecu(s) may need to be shipped to Houston for diagnosis and repair
If the issue is deemed to be as a result of our tuning, we will reimburse for all shipping charges
If any parts are missing, we may deny the claim
Warranty claim may be denied if determined that another tuner's software was installed on the vehicle at any given time
Receipt required for Eurocharged software purchase.
That or maybe the Hennesey, which I believe has a 3 year warranty, but more expensive and much more than just a software tune.
I see at least a couple of outs for them here. Then you're looking at expensive legal fees and will have difficulty proving yourself it was their software.

Last edited by Foosh; 07-19-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh

I see at least a couple of outs for them here. Then you're looking at expensive legal fees and will have difficulty proving yourself it was their software.
True, but that is why I'm waiting for my powertrain warranty to expire first.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

to some extent all warranties are faith based. Jaguar can deny a warranty claim just the same as Joe Blow Tuner. Just boils down to how much faith/trust you have in the company.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
to some extent all warranties are faith based. Jaguar can deny a warranty claim just the same as Joe Blow Tuner. Just boils down to how much faith/trust you have in the company.
I disagree. A vehicle manufacturer's warranty doesn't require proof that the malfunction was their fault. During the warranty period, if it breaks, they fix it.

The only exception to this principle is a significant alteration the owner has made to OEM specs.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:02 PM

I disagree. A vehicle manufacturer's warranty doesn't require proof that the malfunction was their fault. During the warranty period, if it breaks, they fix it.

The only exception to this principle is a significant alteration the owner has made to OEM specs.
They do verify that there are no aftermarket mods or ECU changes or anything like that before they grant a warranty repair. This is to verify it was not the owners fault. The warranty on the tune is similar.

Either way its about faith in the vendor (or manufacturer) and if the two of you don't agree, you'll be in court either way. That or, more likely, you'll settle out of court to avoid the bad PR.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Tell that to the Nissan GTR guys. They turned off traction control to do hard launches. It took a settlement before Nissan covered transmission damage. Same thing can happen with Jaguar. You turn off traction control, do some hard launches. Very possible they deny the claim due to some "abuse" clause in the warranty. I haven't read the warranty word by word, but I am 99.99% sure there is always an "out" in these warranty. That's why lawyers get paid so much

Don't get me wrong, I think a stock car has a much better chance of getting fixed under warranty by Jaguar than a mod car getting fixed by some aftermarket tuner....but nothing in life is guaranteed.

Last edited by shift; 07-20-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Merlin
They do verify that there are no aftermarket mods or ECU changes or anything like that before they grant a warranty repair. This is to verify it was not the owners fault.
Yes, I believe I said that.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

You both are missing the point.

In the case of the tuner warranty wording provided above, they explicitly state they retain the right to make the decision whether their tune caused the problem or not. So, they examine the blown engine parts and ECU and decide it was Jaguar's problem, not their tune. Jaguar says no warranty because the ECU was altered. Hmmm, wonder how that's going to turn out?

In the case of a vehicle manufacturer, they have to prove that you altered or abused something in order to deny a claim. If they can't prove it, they pay.

The tuner doesn't have to prove anything, just say, "it wasn't us based upon our examination of the parts." Those are two very different scenarios.

The GTR case was a bizarre outlier even though they claimed to have proof of abuse, but Nissan was punished for it because it was their design that created the "abuse."

Last edited by Foosh; 07-20-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

When it comes down to it, you have to get a lawyer. That's the point. Consider these 2 scenarios:

1. aftermarket ECU tuner says it's Jaguar's fault the engine below...
2. Jaguar (under warranty period) said you abused the car so the engine blew...

What are your options now? Complain on internet forums? Write letters to Jaguar PR? Threaten a boycott? End result is, if they want to play ball, they will play ball. And the only thing you can do is get a lawyer, regardless of the warranty. The wording in the Jaguar warranty might be more "favorable" to the customer, but end of the day, there is absolutely no guarantee that a warranty claim will be honored. I'm not saying that a warranty by an aftermarket turner is as good as Jaguar, but lets not fool ourselves that just because you are under warranty period by Jaguar that they will fix everything...

Old 07-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by shift
I'm not saying that a warranty by an aftermarket turner is as good as Jaguar, but lets not fool ourselves that just because you are under warranty period by Jaguar that they will fix everything...
But, 99% of the time they will, and no one has to fool themselves. The wording of the tuner warranty gave me no such confidence.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Food for thought:
One option is to Piggy back tune the car via a controller that doesn't alter your ECM programming. Plug and play without harness modification. Simply alter signals from engine sensors to calibrate A/F to a less fat mixture.
I'm working on a design currently that will do so and plan on releasing this as an option for the end user to tune the car how they desire.

Per my experience the majority of power gain in a tune, typically is a result from A/F calibration at WOT.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Quick Reply: Performance Tune