F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

The work was done at ISP who I cannot recommend. I am not sure if I was the first Jaguar or not but had some damage to my car, a disconnected front impact sensor which cost me $175 at Jaguar dealer ship to find out, metal shavings in the engine room. They had huge problems installing the pulley. The shaft has to be heated up until it is hot red with a torch so when the pulley is pressed on it almost fuses with the shaft. it should not be shaved down.

I am not sure I have the AFR numbers in the files they gave me. I have another tuning tool now from Viezu for my XKRS on which i am installung a new manifold back Milltek exhaust and see if I can capture some AFR numbers there before we start tuning. The XKRS has lost all the overrun. I will definitely record them on the FType in January when I have the new exhaust installed and reflash the car. I have to look at the files at home to see if they include the AFR numbers or just hp and torque.

The power is undeniable though, the car pulls like crazy, it gained over 100hp at the wheel.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (11-12-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Here is my dyno sheet of my 2014 V8S with pulley and Eurocharged tune ...

It is running lean as you can hear some of the over run does not make it out of the exhaust but I have a new exhaust coming in January and will have it tuned richer then.

It ended up putting more power down on the same dyno as my pulley tuned XKRS which ended up at 500whp.
Those torque curves are more what I would have expected shape wise than some others that appeared on Pistonheads which look pretty badly heat soaked. I'm guessing the tweak at the end of the lower run was wheelspin?

Old 11-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

They had huge problems installing the pulley. The shaft has to be heated up until it is hot red with a torch so when the pulley is pressed on it almost fuses with the shaft. it should not be shaved down.
Maybe the reason they had such huge problems is that the pulley needs to be heated, not the shaft. ASM in Hanover used a heating coil to heat the pulley to over 500 degF, and it slid on easily.

Do you still have your old pulley? I would be interested in measuring the pitch diameter of the OEM pulley from a V8.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Would heating the s/c input shaft have fried the shaft bearings. Discuss.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

They had huge problems installing the pulley. The shaft has to be heated up until it is hot red with a torch so when the pulley is pressed on it almost fuses with the shaft. it should not be shaved down.
What!?!?!

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Maybe the reason they had such huge problems is that the pulley needs to be heated, not the shaft. ASM in Hanover used a heating coil to heat the pulley to over 500 degF, and it slid on easily.
Exactly. The pulley is an interference fit to the shaft, you heat the pulley which makes it expand & go a little soft, so it will slip over the cold shaft.

Heating the shaft is totally illogical, none of the pulley suppliers have ever instructed to do that.

Originally Posted by F-typical
Would heating the s/c input shaft have fried the shaft bearings. Discuss.
I would say it's pretty likely.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
I would say it's pretty likely.
+1.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy

Do you still have your old pulley? I would be interested in measuring the pitch diameter of the OEM pulley from a V8.
No I do not.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

my bad, the pulley has to be heated.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:44 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Ihoboy, I just had the ETG pulley and performance tune installed on my 5.0L and have the oem pulley. If you let me know how to measure the pitch diameter, I'd be happy to do so.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwelter
Ihoboy, I just had the ETG pulley and performance tune installed on my 5.0L and have the oem pulley. If you let me know how to measure the pitch diameter, I'd be happy to do so.
Outstanding!

Measure the diameter from the top of the ridges to the top of the ridges

Formerly lhoboy

Old 11-14-2015, 09:35 PM

d=65mm

Foosh (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

d=65mm
Thank you!

OEM V8 pulley diameter = 65mm
OEM V6 pulley diameter = 62mm
Aftermarket pulley diameter = 60.5mm (smallest that can fit over shaft housing).

Results in a 7% reduction for the V8 and 2.5% reduction for the V6. Compare this to the 13-18% reduction pulleys we were installing on the R53 MINIs. Any significant power gain will have to come from the tune.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-15-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Foosh (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

If I were measuring, I'd easily be off by 3mm or more trying to figure out where the top of the ridges are from the outside of the pulley.

Isn't it likely that they are the same size? I can't imagine why they'd go to all the trouble of stocking two different parts for such a small difference (1/8").

Old 11-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Foosh, I totally agree with you in theory. Was the measurement taken by just using g a tape measure and eyeballing or was any type of precision measuring device used?

Last edited by TXJagR; 11-15-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:34 AM

I used two straight edges placed across the bottom and top of the pulley tracks. they were then lined up as parallel as possible and then measured at 65 mm. Yes, it was eye balled but it is extremely close to accurate.
BTW, I, regarding the installation of the performance pulleys, I learned there are 3 different manufacturer of superchargers that were outsourced for the F Type. On one of the suppliers, the housing where the pulley is has to be filled down in order to accept the smaller performance pulley. As luck would have it, mine has one such SC. It is minimal filling but it has to done to fit.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

BTW, I, regarding the installation of the performance pulleys, I learned there are 3 different manufacturer of superchargers that were outsourced for the F Type. On one of the suppliers, the housing where the pulley is has to be filled down in order to accept the smaller performance pulley. As luck would have it, mine has one such SC. It is minimal filling but it has to done to fit.
If that is indeed the case, which its probably not since only one brand of supercharger is used on the F type, you should file/drill out the pulley and not ruin the supercharger shaft by filing it. It's an interference fit and that's then end of it, if the shaft size is different you should adjust the pulley to compensate.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

I used two straight edges placed across the bottom and top of the pulley tracks. they were then lined up as parallel as possible and then measured at 65 mm. Yes, it was eye balled but it is extremely close to accurate.
Please understand that I was not suggesting you weren't extremely close. My point was that 3mm is extremely close, particularly when you're trying to eyeball where the ridges start at the top and bottom and measuring with a straight-edge. I know the V6 and V8 superchargers are the same manufacturer, and I was under the impression that they both had the same model supercharger, but I don't know that for sure.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

So far, of all the pulley swaps I'm aware of, all the SCs needed grinding or filing so the pulley wouldn't seize.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Please understand that I was not suggesting you weren't extremely close. My point was that 3mm is extremely close, particularly when you're trying to eyeball where the ridges start at the top and bottom and measuring with a straight-edge. I know the V6 and V8 superchargers are the same manufacturer, and I was under the impression that they both had the same model supercharger, but I don't know that for sure.
My understanding is that the SCs are the same, but the V6 is pumping more pressure with a smaller pulley. That's what I am trying to confirm with the measurements. I'm using a caliper gauge similar to the one above to measure the V6 and aftermarket pulleys.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
My understanding is that the SCs are the same, but the V6 is pumping more pressure with a smaller pulley. That's what I am trying to confirm with the measurements. I'm using a caliper gauge similar to the one above to measure the V6 and aftermarket pulleys.
Right, so you also need a caliper gauge on a V8 pulley to know for sure.

Quick Reply: Performance Tune