F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone Holder

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Phone Holder

Based on a link in a different post, I ordered the ProClip phone holder. When my wife is with me, the cup holders are full and you really cannot see or touch the phone very easily so I though I would try this. It installs very easily and makes the phone very easy to access. It just slips on the trim.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails Phone Holder-dsc01576-1024x768-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
mikelanzetta (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Based on a link in a different post, I ordered the ProClip phone holder. When my wife is with me, the cup holders are full and you really cannot see or touch the phone very easily so I though I would try this. It installs very easily and makes the phone very easy to access. It just slips on the trim.

Larry
Hey Larry, I've used Proclip all my life. I have used their systems in at least five previous cars and even currently in my Nissan Frontier. Usually they are right on the money in terms of the locations they provide and I would even say to them, I am brand loyal.

Although in the case of the F, I think they we too limited in terms of options and they had to settle for a mounting spot that wasn't optimal. For tall guys, the phone hits the knee and robbed me of precious real estate in landscape mode, which is the way I orient my phone 99% of the time. I decided to return the system. To make matters worse, PRO CLIP WOULD NOT RETURN my money in whole because they claim it is now used. Also people should understand their system was close to $80 in total. Not a huge deal but by far, the most expensive system out there.

This topic was well covered in an extensive thread recently and after listening to the other members on this subject, I opted for the $14 magnetic Scosche mount on the drivers side area right above the infotainment screen. After careful thought on the subject, trying several options, this is the proverbial mount solution "home run." A close second was the magnetic mount in the cig lighter plug. Its advantage over what I chose was the elimination of needing to weave a usb to the phone, just need to use a 5" short usb from the base for a stealthy charging solution. The downside for me was the location, due the the lighter socket being located on the passenger side, being slightly hidden by the gear selector. Using WAZE, and their tiny police icons, it is important to have the phone right in our face so you don't miss a cop or a turn in nav. Also I'm often guilty of reading texts as they come in so a "heads up" solution is perfect for me.

I guess phone mounting is a personal choice but this is what worked for me.

Attached Thumbnails Phone Holder-img_0317_86c8c5cfa28481962a95777cbda63ab70dfa121f-1.jpg  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-28-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I am short so the ProClip location works out just fine for me. It does not cover anything up and it is close and easy to see or reach. On previous cars I have used mounts on the vents, around the display screen, and on the console. I never cared for any of them really.
Larry

Old 06-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
I am short so the ProClip location works out just fine for me. It does not cover anything up and it is close and easy to see or reach. On previous cars I have used mounts on the vents, around the display screen, and on the console. I never cared for any of them really.
Larry
Passenger height is key. I think the other issue is the need for landscape mode for me. As I said earlier, I never orient my phone on the vertical.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I combined both of your solutions to make mine. Since I'm on the shorter side the location didn't bother me too well. I used the proclip mount to the gearbox housing and then used the Scoche magnetic mount to the proclip housing to create the perfect holder. I would submit a pic, but the car is still in the shop getting the radar and laser jammers installed. expecting back tomorrow night.=)

Old 06-29-2016, 04:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
I combined both of your solutions to make mine. Since I'm on the shorter side the location didn't bother me too well. I used the proclip mount to the gearbox housing and then used the Scoche magnetic mount to the proclip housing to create the perfect holder. I would submit a pic, but the car is still in the shop getting the radar and laser jammers installed. expecting back tomorrow night.=)
Sounds interesting! Please post pictures when you can.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Proclip has mag options so not sure why you had to Macgyver something. Maybe to save a few bucks.

Universal, Magnetic Phone Holders, Magnetic Car Mounts*-*ProClip USA

There are pros and cons to having a mag mount so I could never say its the perfect solution: They have a tendency to shift or fall and you need to attach an unsightly metal disk to the phone or case.

I think the important thing is mount location and if you're tall, the upper dash is the answer. If you're short, you do have that knee option, but truthfully even if I was 5-3, I would still opt for the dash locale for the very reason HUD exist. The quicker i can simply glance at my phone the better the mounting location. It's got to just make sense.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 06-29-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:21 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

it was because I didn't like the proclip phone holder. It would keep the phone always in portrait and like you occasionally I want mine in portrait so I am able to position the phone any direction I want. I bought the Pro-clip phone holder, but didn't like how it sat so I went "MacGyver". LOL

Old 06-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

it was because I didn't like the proclip phone holder. It would keep the phone always in portrait and like you occasionally I want mine in portrait so I am able to position the phone any direction I want. I bought the Pro-clip phone holder, but didn't like how it sat so I went "MacGyver". LOL
Smoke, they have a mag mount that works with their system was what i was saying. I know why you wanted mag.

By the way, did you wanna pass on the peds?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I opted for the Proclip but I decided to modify it. It is a good option if you don't want to use adhesives or vent clips. However, I did not love the large base size or angle of the phone plate.

I removed the stand and phone plate from the base and reattached it a better angle and then cut the base down significantly. I then found a rectangular magnetic vent mount on ebay and removed the vent clip and screwed it to the phone plate. I tried the round magnetic vent mounts but the phone tended to pivot when I hit the home button. The rectangular magnetic mount provides more support and allows operation without the phone moving. Works great. Low profile. Easy magnetic operation. Love it. And you can easily use the phone in landscape as well.

Photos attached.

Attached Thumbnails Phone Holder-img_6496.jpg   Phone Holder-img_6498.jpg   Phone Holder-img_6495.jpg   Phone Holder-img_6494.jpg  

Last edited by FTypeR AR; 07-27-2016 at 11:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikelanzetta (07-31-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FTypeR AR
I opted for the Proclip but I decided to modify it. It is a good option if you don't want to use adhesives or vent clips. However, I did not love the large base size or angle of the phone plate.

I removed the stand and phone plate from the base and reattached it a better angle and then cut the base down significantly. I then found a rectangular magnetic vent mount on ebay and removed the vent clip and screwed it to the phone plate. I tried the round magnetic vent mounts but the phone tended to pivot when I hit the home button. The rectangular magnetic mount provides more support and allows operation without the phone moving. Works great. Low profile. Easy magnetic operation. Love it. And you can easily use the phone in landscape as well.

Photos attached.
edit.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-27-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by FTypeR AR

Photos attached.
These rectangular vent clips are a bit harder to find than the round ones. They are made much better in my opinion and have increased surface area for stability. I paid around ~$14 US shipped for 2. I used it with the Proclip after removing the back portion that attaches to the vent:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331819699734...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

item: 331819699734

Last edited by FTypeR AR; 08-06-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

How easy are each of these solutions to remove and install? I'd like to have a holder for my phone (because Waze) but need something I can easily hide when I have a passenger with me.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:53 PM

The ProClip is supposed to clip under the bottom of the plastic side panel on the right of the console. I don't hook it under the panel and it is still plenty secure because it wedges between the leather trim border and console on the top. My setup is secure even after I cut the angled bracket down so it wasn't so big. I thought it was too easy to hit with my right leg before I cut it down. If you don't hook it under the side panel, it lifts off with a firm tug and you are done. That's what I do. Even if you do hook it under the panel, it's not that difficult to remove. You just need to be careful not to scuff the leather when you remove it when clipped under the side panel.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:49 PM

Some before/after pics. I cut down the base from 7cm deep to about 4.5cm deep when measured on the bend edge. I think It probably could go down to about 3cm but my leg doesn't hit it anymore at 4.5cm so I was ok with that size.

I also filed down the bottom edge (of the lip) about 2mm to make it easier to remove it from the lower panel without risking scuffing the leather.

Attached Thumbnails Phone Holder-before-after-1.jpg   Phone Holder-before-after-2.jpg   Phone Holder-before-after-3.jpg  
Old 08-24-2016, 09:26 AM

Version 2.0

I cut down the bracket further to make it smaller. It is now only about 1.25" wide. This involved removing and clipping the front of the triangle-shaped mount on the bracket and then reattaching it with 2 screws from underneath. I also went with a 6-magnet vent clip. Most of the magnetic vent mounts only use 4. The result is an incredibly strong magnetic mount and the bracket remains completely stable with a minimal footprint.

The vent mount I used for this version is found here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used some acetone to get rid of the "WizGear" logo on the front of the vent mount. The ball mount detaches easily leaving a flat plate with the magnets.

Attached Thumbnails Phone Holder-fr_4590_size1024.jpg   Phone Holder-fr_4591_size880.jpg   Phone Holder-fr_4592_size1024.jpg   Phone Holder-fr_4593_size880.jpg   Phone Holder-fr_4594_size1024.jpg  

Last edited by FTypeR AR; 08-24-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Nice mod to improve on the pro clip but at the end of the day, the $14 solution of the scoche mounted on the dash, is just an amazing solution for my situation. It may boil down to how often you use the oem nav. In my case that would be never ever. Using Waze exclusively, I like the idea of glancing up and seeing the tiny cop icons in a heads up position. Typing in keystrokes at my knee doesn't seem ergonomic enough. Lastly at 6-2, I doubt my knee would clear the vision line of the phone.

Kudos again for having the determination on improving what pro-clip did as this will be a useful post for anyone opting to follow your lead. Love the clear step by step DYI explanation. All posts here should be so helpful.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-24-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Nice mod to improve on the pro clip but at the end of the day, the $14 solution of the scoche mounted on the dash, is just an amazing solution for my situation. It may boil down to how often you use the oem nav. In my case that would be never ever. Using Waze exclusively, I like the idea of glancing up and seeing the tiny cop icons in a heads up position. Typing in keystrokes at my knee doesn't seem ergonomic enough. Lastly at 6-2, I doubt my knee would clear the vision line of the phone.

Kudos again for having the determination on improving what pro-clip did as this will be a useful post for anyone opting to follow your lead. Love the clear step by step DYI explanation. All posts here should be so helpful.
Thanks for the feedback! I probably should have included some in-action shots. I'm 5'10" and my knee is no where near the phone. YMMV for really tall folks but I think it still would not hit your leg.

I included a pic while my right foot was on the accelerator and then a second when I intentionally bent my knee and rested it against the center console wall. My knee was not even close when driving. When intentionally bending my leg and resting against the console, my thigh got closer but still didn't hit the phone or bracket.

This may be a good option for those that like the phone close to their hand. I almost always drive in Sport mode and use the center shifter so my hand is just a few inches away. Also, charging is easy and neat because the cord from the inside console can be tucked between the seat and console wall.

Attached Thumbnails Phone Holder-fr_4615_size1024.jpg   Phone Holder-fr_4619_size1024.jpg  

Last edited by FTypeR AR; 08-25-2016 at 06:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FTypeR AR:
Burt Gummer (12-13-2016), dantes (08-30-2017)