F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone holder for F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The base is part of a standard kit from scosche.com. Here is the link to the actual one. $20 online. I just left it intact, made sure tightened the nut on the ball so plenty of friction when moving and slightly trimmed the base (the bit with the sticky stuff on it) with snippers so it pushed all the way into the hole. Then poured in epoxy over the top.

Cell Phone Car Mount System | Magnetic Phone Mount | magicMOUNT? | by Scosche

Last edited by Richard Grogan-Crane; 09-11-2015 at 07:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TXJagR (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I now have Scoche mounts in all our cars.
Everyone in the family has a Scoche plate inside their case or stuck to the phone.
Great solution.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best phone holder for f type

Originally Posted by FtypeRRR
Needing a solution to hold my phone in the F-Type. what have other people found that works well (& looks clean)?
Search wizgear on Amazon for a magnetic air vent phone mount. $6.99 and the best solution!

It's an easy fix. Mount this on the left side air vent (left of steering wheel). I also got a long USB wire and ran it to the center console.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Old 09-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
The newer Manual Transmission cause some issues with these recs, and from what I have seen the cigarette lighter seems to be the best option... I just picked this up on amazon, and will update you with pics if it installs properly, etc.
Amazon.com: Mgotu Dual USB Ports Car Charger Mount with Cigarette Lighter Charger DC Port, 360° Rotating Adjustable Car Mount Stand Holder for iPhone 6 5S 5C 5 4S 4 Samsung Galaxy Note 3 2 S4 SIV i9500 S3 SIII i9300 S2 SII 9100 Sony xperia z HTC One
That looks like it might apply quite a bit of torque on that small lighter socket housing. Looking forward to your report.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
That looks like it might apply quite a bit of torque on that small lighter socket housing. Looking forward to your report.
Didn't work. It was INCREDIBLY sturdy, but slightly too long. I would have lived with that, but the size of the base with the dual USB blocks 5th gear shifting completely. If you aren't shifting, this thing might work, although it's tall enough to end up next to the touchscreen in dash.... it's not the prettiest solution.

That proclip in page one is fantastic.... I commented on the YT page about whether that would fit the F-Type. If they had enough interest maybe they would augment it to fit....

still searchin....

Unhingd (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

That ProClip would be my first choice as well if it were adapted to fit.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

That ProClip would be my first choice as well if it were adapted to fit.
I've probably misunderstood here, but if you're talking about a ProClip for the F-Type, they already offer one?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
I've probably misunderstood here, but if you're talking about a ProClip for the F-Type, they already offer one?
I don't think they do. If I am mistaken, please let me know.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:48 AM

I don't think they do. If I am mistaken, please let me know.
Jaguar F-Type 2013-2016 ProClip Console Mount - ProClip USA

Also, check post #28 for pics of an F-Type install.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Jaguar F-Type 2013-2016 ProClip Console Mount*-*ProClip USA

Also, check post #28 for pics of an F-Type install.
Cheers CH! Thanks, but we may have been using the brand name too generally. The first page of this thread has a proclip mount for the passenger grab bar off the right side of the shifting console.

The F-type specific proclip works for many, but a) for taller people, our knees are in the way, and b) for *me* I feel like looking at the cup holder or that specific location for the proclip takes my eyes off the road for just a bit too long.

That grab bar mount is a really elegant solution. I might try to retrofit a gopro mount I have for that purpose.

For manuals, I am pretty sure 5th gear is an entire fist into the cigarette lighter solution.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:32 PM

To be honest, I like the ProClip solution on other vehicles, but having seen the F-Type one...yeah, my knee sits right in that position for me, so I completely agree!

Just fitted the cig-lighter/flexi-bendy option myself...deffo not ideal, but will see if I can live with it for TomTom app usage for now, otherwise I'll look at other options.

For some reason, despite reassurances, I can't reconcile myself with a big fat powerful magnet solution, even though they look the cleanest here.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Cheers CH! Thanks, but we may have been using the brand name too generally. The first page of this thread has a proclip mount for the passenger grab bar off the right side of the shifting console.

The F-type specific proclip works for many, but a) for taller people, our knees are in the way, and b) for *me* I feel like looking at the cup holder or that specific location for the proclip takes my eyes off the road for just a bit too long.

That grab bar mount is a really elegant solution. I might try to retrofit a gopro mount I have for that purpose.

For manuals, I am pretty sure 5th gear is an entire fist into the cigarette lighter solution.
Mounting it next to the knee at close to seat level is a non-starter. The grab rail location would be ideal. That's what I was looking for.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Mounting it next to the knee at close to seat level is a non-starter. The grab rail location would be ideal. That's what I was looking for.
Not to beat a dead horse... I know they're not cheap, and the proclip people said it wouldn't fit...

but has anyone measured the corvette grab rail versus ours? I honestly wouldn't know where to start to get specs for that minutia.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Giving it a shot

Originally Posted by shift
When i saw this i thought it was the best solution. I emailed Pro-Clip and asked if the Corvette mount would fit the F-Type. They said it was only for the Corvette (seemed like a typical corporate response)... anyway, i decided to see for myself.

INITIAL TRY:
The mount clip DOES fit - correct angle (could be steeper, but i can add an angled shim between the mount and phone holder if needed) and height, but the top edge is wider than the hold bar. On its own it holds fine, but with a heavy phone (mine is iPhone 6 Plus) on a hard corner it might slip. So I added a small piece of hard rubber foam that makes the clip hold snug.
I bought a small 1' USB-Lightning cable so i could power it by the socket just to the right of the shifter.

I will take photos with my Wife's phone of my phone on the mount later and also report back on how well it works while driving. I figure there are numerous ways to strengthen the fit without damaging the hold bar leather (cable ties, etc.) if necessary.

CaptainHam (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

very nice adaptation.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I was inspired by Greggbhill's adaptation, so I used my very amateur skills in design and cobbled this together.

It seems to have worked well for the last couple of weeks. If you own a 3D printer, know someone who does, or have access to a Maker Space, the STL file can be found here:
Jaguar F-Type Phone Mount by skerr11 - Thingiverse

The magnetic mount I attached to it can be found here:
Universal Magnetic Cell Phone Car Mount Holder for all Smart Phone RTH-508010 - TinyDeal

The following 5 users liked this post by skerr11:
Greggbhill (08-27-2016), J444G (06-10-2023), Mbourne (08-27-2016), slojotaa (11-06-2016), Unhingd (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by skerr11
I was inspired by Greggbhill's adaptation, so I used my very amateur skills in design and cobbled this together.

It seems to have worked well for the last couple of weeks. If you own a 3D printer, know someone who does, or have access to a Maker Space, the STL file can be found here:
Jaguar F-Type Phone Mount by skerr11 - Thingiverse

The magnetic mount I attached to it can be found here:
Universal Magnetic Cell Phone Car Mount Holder for all Smart Phone RTH-508010 - TinyDeal
I am impressed. Good work!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by skerr11
Well.. my google alerts found you, and I came here to post that link!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1739011

Anyhoo.... want to print one for me?

I am also lazily behind here.... could I get some links?

Is it as simple as buying the Corvette one, and then another mount?

The suction cup has been great but for blocking the vent. I do like not moving my vision off the road tho.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoche Magic Mount Pro

Hi I am new to the forum, I joined a couple of weeks back and have spent endless hours reading page after page of posts. I have learnt so much, so thank you to all members for your insightful and intelligent posts. I have read a few threads re mounting a phone where the Scoche Magic Mount seemed to be the way to go.

Anyway I started searching Ebay US and Ebay UK and found and bought this from an eBay seller at home in Australia, it's Scoche Magic Mount Pro, which IMHO looks a bit more stylish than the all black Scoche unit, it also has an oval mounting base.

Hope this helps those going down the Scoche mounting route.

Ebay item Scosche MagicMount Pro Dash Board Magnetic Mount For Smartphone Tablet GPS | eBay

Quick Reply: Phone holder for F-Type