F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone holder for F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been very happy with the appropriately named "F color" magnetic holder. It clamps to the vents and, with the accompanying metal insert placed in my phone case, I have been able to get a firm hold allowing good viewing of waze and any other app I want with the phone sitting by the A pillar

The following users liked this post:
amr42 (11-11-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by AbyJag
[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jaguarforums.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-cell_phone_holder_
I've been very happy with the appropriately named "F color" magnetic holder. It clamps to the vents and, with the accompanying metal insert placed in my phone case, I have been able to get a firm hold allowing good viewing of waze and any other app I want with the phone sitting by the A pillar
Hi, 2 questions:
1. - Does it put any 'damaging" potential pressure on the vents over time?
2. - where does one buy one of these. Seems the most practical solution of them all to me.
Thanks

Old 11-06-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

The clamp is screwed down by you so pressure is controlled. Its a little finicky to do but looks good and works well. The clamp is also nicely built so seems safe for the vents.
I bought mine on amazon.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:25 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AbyJag
I have mine in the larger vent below, but I like using the fixed smaller vent above. I am using the Samsung wireless charging, so I need to do some research... Amazon here we come...

Old 11-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

The problem I have with the vent holders is that, at least here in Florida, I am blasting the A/C pretty much all the time. When the phone cools off significantly, the battery loses its power. Thus, those a/c vent holders really don't work for me.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Isn't the upper vent on the drivers side a temperature gauge and not a vent?

Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Reviving an old thread.

I am pretty well convinced that the most elegant solution to holding a cell phone in a car is one of the many magnetic mounts. My current favorite (viewed from afar) is the Caseco Core 360. It seems to have a very small footprint and appears to be quite unobtrusive. Most of these magnetic mounts are secured in place by double sided adhesive tape. The dilemma I am having is finding the best location. I am thinking about placing it on the dash above the infotainment screen but in front of the vents. This location seems closest to ideal as it would not obstruct seeing or reaching any controls or buttons while at the same time placing the phone screen at a height that permits a quick glance by the driver (practical if using the phone's GPS).

For those of you using this location, how has it worked out?

Old 11-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by woodturner
Reviving an old thread.

I am pretty well convinced that the most elegant solution to holding a cell phone in a car is one of the many magnetic mounts. My current favorite (viewed from afar) is the Caseco Core 360. It seems to have a very small footprint and appears to be quite unobtrusive. Most of these magnetic mounts are secured in place by double sided adhesive tape. The dilemma I am having is finding the best location. I am thinking about placing it on the dash above the infotainment screen but in front of the vents. This location seems closest to ideal as it would not obstruct seeing or reaching any controls or buttons while at the same time placing the phone screen at a height that permits a quick glance by the driver (practical if using the phone's GPS).

For those of you using this location, how has it worked out?
Very well.
Got the Scosche. It’s perfect.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by malbec
Very well.
Got the Scosche. It’s perfect.
malbec - It was your post that got me thinking about that area for my phone. Sounds like you like the spot, no?

Regarding the exact mount, I will probably wind up with either the Caseco or the Scosche. I prefer the diminutive size of the Caseco but wondering if I will dislike having the metal washer on the back of my phone case. It may be aggravating to not have the case sit flat on a table. I believe the Scosche permits placing the plate under the case, rendering it invisible - and I think that's a great solution. My concern would be to what extent I lose magnetic grip having the metal plate between my phone and its' case and if my case (it's fairly thin) can handle having the plate under it without deforming. I have read some reviews that have mentioned these issues.

Decisions, Decisions!

Old 11-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by woodturner
malbec - It was your post that got me thinking about that area for my phone. Sounds like you like the spot, no?

Regarding the exact mount, I will probably wind up with either the Caseco or the Scosche. I prefer the diminutive size of the Caseco but wondering if I will dislike having the metal washer on the back of my phone case. It may be aggravating to not have the case sit flat on a table. I believe the Scosche permits placing the plate under the case, rendering it invisible - and I think that's a great solution. My concern would be to what extent I lose magnetic grip having the metal plate between my phone and its' case and if my case (it's fairly thin) can handle having the plate under it without deforming. I have read some reviews that have mentioned these issues.

Decisions, Decisions!
I wrapped the thin metal bit in cling film and put it between the case and the iPhone. No damage to the phone and it sticks like glue to the mount.
I use a 2 metre power cable and use Siri for voice calling and voice music selection. The phone is in your field of view when you need to look at it. Got to be the best solution.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Get a Spigen thin case w/ the indentation for a metal plate INSIDE the case. Works awesome w/ my S8+ and the Scosche mount. No ugly plate on the back of the phone and a little bit of protection to boot.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:08 AM

Okay, I ordered two of the Scosche mounts - one for my F-Type and one for my wife's Lexus RX. I still like that Caseco mount but I prefer to not have the washer on the back of my case. We shall see.

Thanks for the input.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I found putting the plate on the inside of the case did not offer adequate gripping force during spirited drives. I had to place the plate on the outside of the case.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I found putting the plate on the inside of the case did not offer adequate gripping force during spirited drives. I had to place the plate on the outside of the case.
youre my favorite member on here

The following 2 users liked this post by sts-v:
Burt Gummer (11-03-2017), TR64ever (11-07-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Was it this case in particular? My phone holds very steady. Only an accident would get it off of there. This case is specifically made to have the plate inside.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Was it this case in particular? My phone holds very steady. Only an accident would get it off of there. This case is specifically made to have the plate inside.
No. My case is a heavy rubber prophylactic that allows me to dropkick the phone without damage to it or me.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:40 PM

Burt - I can't seem to find your case on the Spigen website. I may just be missing it. Do you happen to know if it has a (specific) name?

Update - Looks like there are brands other than Spigen that offer this. Found many on Amazon. Thanks.

Last edited by woodturner; 11-02-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member

Spigen Thin Fit™ was designed for minimalists that enjoy the look of barely having a case. The Thin Fit™ is made of a premium polycarbonate (PC), which is the secret to an extremely lightweight and bulk-free casing. The Spigen Thin Fit™ stays compatible with magnetic car mounts with its space for QNMP™ and other metal plates. Precise cutouts around the phone’s buttons and features allow for quick access and original click response. Keep your Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus slim with the Spigen Thin Fit™.

It IS NOT a rugged case but will prevent most damage from short drops. It allows a phone to be slid into your jean's pockets just as easily as no case. Great cover for magnetic mount and marginal protection.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 11-03-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:31 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sts-v
youre my favorite member on here
Yeah, I think pretty much everyone says that

The following users liked this post:
TR64ever (11-07-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Spigen Thin Fit™
Thanks !!