F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phone mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phone mount

So after struggling with where to place my iPhone in the jag and reading all the threads here I concluded that I would like it to be mounted at near eye level on the dashboard by the pop up air vents. Attaching it to the air vents on the left of the steering wheel was less than ideal as was anywhere lower such as the cup holder area or where the proclips mount would fit. Attaching it to the passenger side handle bar also seemed odd as I would have to take my eyes completely off the road and turn my head to look at the phone when using maps.

So the best option was to use the Scoshe MagicMount which uses a fairly strong adhesive pad to hold the mount to the dashboard while the phone is magnetically held to the mount itself. Problem with this approach was that I did not want anything that strong (adhesive) attached to my dashboard. I know the instructions for the mount say you can use fishing thread to remove the mount but I was vary of this approach.

So this afternoon I built myself a custom L bracket out of some metal sheeting I picked up at home depot. Using tin cutters I cut it to the right dimensions so the scoshe mount had a platform to glue itself to while the L section got inserted between the dashboard and the surrounding leather padding. I put three turns of duct tape on the L section so the fit was snug. Just got back from a test drive on bumpy roads and happy to say it did it's job. If at any point I want to remove the unit from the car I can simply pull up on the bracket and with some force remove it from the crack.

By the way, after the pictures were taken I spray painted it all black so it looks a lot better than just bare metal you see below.

Hope this gives you guys some inspiration to build your own.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

I choose the exact same placement and same mount. Works really well.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I have currently mounted in my Miata. It is a suction cup mount on the windshield with a long arm that has a Qi magnetic charging mount at the other end. Would something like this fit in the F-Type?

Phone mount-bbxxs05.jpg
Phone mount-ikmsq5m.jpg

Old 09-23-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If you are built like a Chimp, maybe. Otherwise the windshield is much too far away to reach it.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If you are built like a Chimp, maybe. Otherwise the windshield is much too far away to reach it.
Very good point.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, exactly. Plus windshield mounts just look too ugly and bulky. I wanted something nice and small, the scoshe mount was perfect size. I just didn't want to permanently install it on the dash hence I built the bracket.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

The Scosche Mount is brilliant and it’s only glued on and can be safely removed.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

The iMagnet is also a good option with the suction cup mount to the dash.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:18 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I think I'm going to give this one a try - the smallest one I could find, and except for the little adhesive pad, completely removable.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:16 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

The iMagnet is also a good option with the suction cup mount to the dash.
How do you get your suction mount to stay affixed? With the heat where i'm at, it always comes un-attached. Using and IPhone 8+
I can put up with the drawback of having to put the metal plate inside the cover and by removing the metal plate under the phone cover, that's because my charger is a Belkin flat lay on circular pad. So even charging, I have to remove the phone cover to remove the plate.

Last edited by Magical; 09-24-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Magical
How do you get your suction mount to stay affixed? With the heat where i'm at, it always comes un-attached. Using and IPhone 8+
I can put up with the drawback of having to put the metal plate inside the cover and by removing the metal plate under the phone cover, that's because my charger is a Belkin flat lay on circular pad. So even charging, I have to remove the phone cover to remove the plate.
Clean the dash (metal) and the rubber suction cup with soapy water. Then push down hard on the suction cup while you toggle the lever down.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:28 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Clean the dash (metal) and the rubber suction cup with soapy water. Then push down hard on the suction cup while you toggle the lever down.
Did that except removing the tacky substance that came with the cup. I will try remove the substance on the cup and see if it works. Of course, if I leave the car in the garage, it holds. But once it meets heat....plunk

Old 09-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Magical
Did that except removing the tacky substance that came with the cup. I will try remove the substance on the cup and see if it works. Of course, if I leave the car in the garage, it holds. But once it meets heat....plunk
Washing the bottom of the suction cup will not remove the tacky stuff, But will remove dust and oil that prevents the tacky stuff from working. Give it a try. Might work for you.