F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking her up this week. What common issues or potential issues should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts
Question Picking her up this week. What common issues or potential issues should I look for?

So Wednesday is the day, flying out to Denver to pick up my Coupe R! As I am not local to the dealership and will be driving over 1200 miles back this weekend I want to make sure I get anything possible taken care of before I leave. Of course I have a local dealership too so if it isn't pressing I can get it done here.

What should I be keeping a close eye on when I pick it up? I've been keeping an eye on the common issues thread as well but most seem more long term.
Any pickup rituals people have, inspections?
How about stuff during the first couple days of actual use?

I had them install Suntek clear bra so I'll definitely take a very close look at that, the edges, and any imperfections.

The final wait is always the longest.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Aside from the usual items for any car, here are some f type specific ones:

I suggest making sure that the body panels are flush, especially the hood closure lines, and the panels around the door frame.
Also, check for paint peeling around high curvature edges. I think Jaguar fixed this by now.

Crank up the sound system and listen for door rattles.

If you live in a state where you really need to mount front license plates, make sure dealer gave those to you.

Bring a HD cell phone or camera and take a walk around high def video of the car at the dealership inside and out, in case there are issues later and you need to show they were pre-existing.

And since it's an R, you may need to bring some spare underwear for the first time you punch the accelerator :-)

The following users liked this post:
LynxFX (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 04:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I would be leery about doing a long drive immediately after taking delivery - except I did the same thing, 950 miles a couple of days after delivery, and 950 miles back home a week later. Keep an eye on tire pressure, and I'd probably check the oil once or twice during the drive just to be sure. (You also learn how to check the oil, since there's no dipstick.)

I think it's unlikely you'll get through the 1200 miles without violating the recommended break-in, but have fun! I think I was several thousand miles into mine when I finally discovered there was a recommended break-in. (Nothing in the original manual, dealer was clueless.)

That should be a very cool drive, assuming the weather cooperates. Not the best time of year.

LynxFX (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I would be leery about doing a long drive immediately after taking delivery - except I did the same thing, 950 miles a couple of days after delivery, and 950 miles back home a week later. Keep an eye on tire pressure, and I'd probably check the oil once or twice during the drive just to be sure. (You also learn how to check the oil, since there's no dipstick.)

I think it's unlikely you'll get through the 1200 miles without violating the recommended break-in, but have fun! I think I was several thousand miles into mine when I finally discovered there was a recommended break-in. (Nothing in the original manual, dealer was clueless.)

That should be a very cool drive, assuming the weather cooperates. Not the best time of year.
The way to complete break-in while doing long drive is set nav to not use Interstates or highways.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:48 PM

I have no choice on the trip, gotta get back home. The only break in I do is vary the RPM's up and down the entire range.

Good stuff though. Didn't even think about the sound system and rattles.

Weather is a concern and I'm watching it closely. I have 3 different routes I can take depending on what happens Saturday. So far it is looking promising.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:49 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

For long highway cruises, I use non-dynamic mode for slightly better fuel economy. That's no fun, but you've got a lot of miles to do. I've played with the speed limiter, but never really used it in practice. (You can use cruise control, or speed limiter, not both.)

Presumably, you'll have some sort of music source (Blutetooth, USB). The exhaust sound is fun, but maybe not for 1200 miles? If you have SiriusXM, make sure it's in demo mode so you can use it. Or just sign up.

And bring a catheter, so you won't have to pull over...

F-TypeRookie (12-08-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 04:50 PM

Jaguar doesn't give a 3 month SiriusXM trial?

Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
For long highway cruises, I use non-dynamic mode for slightly better fuel economy. That's no fun, but you've got a lot of miles to do. I've played with the speed limiter, but never really used it in practice. (You can use cruise control, or speed limiter, not both.)

Presumably, you'll have some sort of music source (Blutetooth, USB). The exhaust sound is fun, but maybe not for 1200 miles? If you have SiriusXM, make sure it's in demo mode so you can use it. Or just sign up.

And bring a catheter, so you won't have to pull over...
It's crazy how many of us have done this. I drove mine from Philly to El Paso over 4th of July weekend. I put about 400 city break in miles on it before I hit the highway. It was impossible not to open it up in the Baltimore tunnel though.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I picked my up in Las Vegas and drove back to SF. So about 600 miles. What I did on the freeway was just changed gears every couple of minutes, and/or accelerated from 50mph to 80mph to vary the RPMs. Didn't do WOT but definitely got it revving to about 6k RPM here and there.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:09 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Jaguar doesn't give a 3 month SiriusXM trial?
Yes, but make sure the trial is activated.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just don't use cruise and keep the rpm varied between 1.5k and 4.5k for the first hundred or so miles

Old 12-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyweb
It's crazy how many of us have done this.
When I first read this I thought you meant the catheter thing...

Old 12-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by spindoc
Haha me too

Thanks for all the tips. I think I have a good list of what to check out. My trip back is going to be fun. Just me and the car. Heading to the Grand Canyon the first night unless weather forces me south.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by spindoc
Ha, I replied to the wrong message.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Check the paint colour is matching on all panels. After my issues, I have discovered the factory had known problems with the front bumper and rear QTR panels .. they thought it has been resolved but mine was bad.