F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up my Jaguar from Dealer, need advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021 | 02:30 AM

Make sure both key fobs have the old fashion key blade inside. One of mine didn’t so always a bit worried some mechanic somewhere along the line has stolen it and will come in the middle of the night .

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021 | 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I don't understand the inability to cope with the start/stop feature. There are times I want it. Most of the time I don't but with it permanently disabled, there's no option.

My routine is this:
  • Start the engine. Fast-idle will be on.
  • Turn on Dynamic mode.
  • Turn off eco (start/stop).
  • Switch to TracDSC.
  • Fasten seat belt.
When fast-idle goes to normal idle, drive. How hard is that?
Here's my routine most days:

Get in, put on seat belt, push start and away I go.

I can't stand the stop/start. Maybe if it were disabled when you click Dynamic, then I'd be OK, but it's on even then. Sure, it's just one extra push, but I don't like the extra push. Never once have I thought 'gee, I wish eco stop/start was on'.

Last edited by eeeeek; 11-20-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Portlander (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021 | 01:06 PM

I would check the oil level. I bought mine last year even from a cousin that is a sales manager downtown Chicago at Jag/Land Rover. I had mine shipped to AZ from Chicago and check the oil a week later and it was over 2 quarts overfilled. Seems to be a dealer issue whenever they change the R model fluid. I think the R model takes roughly 2 quarts less than the 6 banger model. I would check at the dealer before you leave.

Old 11-20-2021 | 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I would check the oil level. I bought mine last year even from a cousin that is a sales manager downtown Chicago at Jag/Land Rover. I had mine shipped to AZ from Chicago and check the oil a week later and it was over 2 quarts overfilled. Seems to be a dealer issue whenever they change the R model fluid. I think the R model takes roughly 2 quarts less than the 6 banger model. I would check at the dealer before you leave.
The V6 and V8 take the exact same amount of oil (other than for the initial factory fill), the difference is purely AWD vs RWD.
The AWD takes 6.5 litres, the RWD takes 7.25 litres.
So whacking the RWD amount in an AWD results in .75 litre (a bit less than one quart) overfill.

Old 11-20-2021 | 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek

I can't stand the stop/start. Maybe if it were disabled when you click Dynamic, then I'd be OK, but it's on even then. Sure, it's just one extra push, but I don't like the extra push. Never once have I thought 'gee, I wish eco stop/start was on'.
Since from years of habit I start and then wait for fast idle to drop I have the time

Pretty much the only time I do use start/stop is when I get caught on city streets with stop lights that are kind of long. I'll let it do its thing then.

Old 11-21-2021 | 06:42 AM

I can't stand the Stop/Start "feature". I've had too many cars where the motor stopping at a stoplight spelled trouble, I'm just conditioned to fell oogy when the motor dies.
And yes, pushing the button EVERY DAMN TIME seems like a big ask.
Had to buy memory modules for the Cayenne and SQ5 that keep the feature turned off for me. I was thrilled the F Type was an easy defeat.

Old 11-21-2021 | 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
As you thought, make sure it has the latest software update. I recently got a galaxy fold 3 and it had very annoying bluetooth dropout issues until the car software was updated, probably and older version of bluetooth.
Ha! I have the same phone, and a couple of weeks ago I scheduled a service visit to do just that in my 2017 S AWD BDE Convertible.

BruceTheQuail (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021 | 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by nw247
Picking up my first Jag, 2018 F-Type R Dynamic, are there any software updates I need to make sure are done? Anything I need to get free? Any advise ? Anything I should know or ask??
You didn't say if you have the coupe or convertible, but if you have a convertible, get a Mods4Cars module. Along with control features for the roof, you can configure it to turn off the auto stop/start. (But,you can still turn it on when you want.)

Old 11-21-2021 | 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GeDaJew
Ha! I have the same phone, and a couple of weeks ago I scheduled a service visit to do just that in my 2017 S AWD BDE Convertible.
Haha, mine was dropping out then reconnecting multiple times, but the problem was with spotify I have to turn it right up, then when it drops out it would go to USB and just about blow out my eardrums...

The software upgrade fixed it fine.

Old 11-26-2021 | 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I don't understand the inability to cope with the start/stop feature. There are times I want it. Most of the time I don't but with it permanently disabled, there's no option.

My routine is this:
  • Start the engine. Fast-idle will be on.
  • Turn on Dynamic mode.
  • Turn off eco (start/stop).
  • Switch to TracDSC.
  • Fasten seat belt.
When fast-idle goes to normal idle, drive. How hard is that?
Cars shouldn't be Karen's, that's why.

Old 11-26-2021 | 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 19FRG
Cars shouldn't be Karen's, that's why.
If I were a car, I certainly wouldn't want to be Karen's.

Old 12-05-2021 | 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'm a bit late to the party, so you probably have picked up your car already. But, one of the Admin's from the F-Pace forum put together a pre-delivery letter and checklist that could be useful to anyone preparing to pick up a car. It was created back when the F-Pace was introduced in 2017, so there may be some updates/tuning required. Thanks to Steve, aka VZX-CO, who's been active enough with the F-Pace to be quoted in reviews. Cheers.

Attached Files
Old 12-06-2021 | 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by eeeeek

I agree. Stop/Start is 5h1te and is not necessary on a petrol engine. Manufacturers will do anything improve the vehicle specification to enhance desirability, (although I doubt whether anyone buys an F-Type based on MPG figures.) So, Stop/Start, and replacing the spare wheel with repair foam will make a slight improvement to MPG figures. Your laptop or mobile phone don't automatically switch off when you pause, because you don't make a buying decision on those devices based on power consumption. I recall seeing a Youtube video somewhere which reviewed the crankshaft wear from two identical cars (Toyota, I think.) The stop/start vehicle had distinct wear marks on the crankshaft. 'Nuff said.

Old 12-06-2021 | 06:35 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by planet_FType
Your laptop or mobile phone don't automatically switch off when you pause, because you don't make a buying decision on those devices based on power consumption.
Er, I bought my Motorola phone because it had a 6 day battery capacity! And if I ever bought a <shudder> EV I'd want as much battery capacity as I could find. But I do hate the stop/start in my F-Type.

Old 12-06-2021 | 10:41 AM

I don't care much about the MPG but I for one definitely like the stop/start feature and would miss it. Neither do I care about any additional wear it causes... as much as I adore this car I'll have moved on long before that makes any difference. Sure, the s/s is not as well executed as in some other cars and I do turn it off when I'm out for a proper blast but for daily driving and city driving I think it's nice comfort thing.

But then again I seem to have pretty odd views on several things compared to most (?) F-Type owners... for instance I wouldn't want it to be any louder than the stock facelift V6, love that it can be really quiet if you're cruising with the exhaust valves closed and am not a fan of the crackles and pops which I'd prefer to be possible to disable with a button. The pops and crackles were kind of cool when the F-Type was released but now things have moved on and I mostly associate them with non-descript fwd four banger hot hatches.

I hope the car delivery went well btw!