F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pics of jag f-type moon roof?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default pics of jag f-type moon roof?

Hello, I was telling someone at work about how great the moonroof was on the ftype coupe but I couldn't find a good pic online. Obviously, you have to experience it to truly appreciate it but can you provide a url to any good pics that I can share?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The following users liked this post:
burnie (04-29-2015)
Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks digital - is the black area tinted or completely blacked out? If completely blacked out then why?

Old 06-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Yeah I think it's blacked out. I think if my memory serves me correctly, that's where the roof headlining and stuf is which holds the interior roof lights and the overhead rearview mirros etc. I think the entire roof is glass but there's still a 'roof'. That's the best way to describe it I guess. Hope that made sense!

Old 06-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Those sections are blacked out and the headliner hides structural cross-members that are in front of and behind the transparent opening if you've ever seen the cutaway models that Jaguar shows during press events.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Here's the best pic I could find of the cutaway view

Attached Thumbnails pics of jag f-type moon roof?-jaguar-f-type-cut-away-designboom05.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
burnie (04-29-2015)
Old 06-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

I believe this image clipped from Jaguar's Configurator may show it best from the outside. This clearly shows what areas are transparent, and which are blocked by structural obstructions.
Difficult to get a true sense of just how large the moon roof is, or how spacious the view, until you actually sit in one...

Attached Thumbnails pics of jag f-type moon roof?-panoramicroof_zps6d0d732b.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Jaguar has misleadingly called it a 'panoramic' roof. From the top it looks panoramic because there is a glass panel that extends across and along the roofline. But from the inside it is more like a traditional moonroof than a true panoramic roof because the opening doesn't really stretch across the entire roof.

I'm almost certain that Jaguar made this design decision in order to preserve the structural rigidity of the coupe (the design team has said in a video somewhere that this was very important to them).

I sat inside a coupe with the moonroof and it wasn't for me....it did brighten up the cabin but because the opening was smaller than I would have wanted, I felt it screwed up the purity of the lines in the interior and the light coming through it cast some weird shadows on the interior (I got a high contrast trim). And i realized i like the way the non-panoramic hardtop focuses the driver's attention on the road ahead...it felt purer to me.
Also, the black cloth covering you can pull across it was pretty flimsy.

But I'm probably in the minority since the panoramic roof has been really popular with buyers. I wouldn't get a polaris white without the pano roof.

Here are some photos I found of the roof from the inside. The 2nd photo makes the moonroof look bigger than it actually is because it uses a wide-angle lens.

Attached Thumbnails pics of jag f-type moon roof?-2015-jaguar-f-type-coupe-interior-seats-02.jpg   pics of jag f-type moon roof?-2015-jaguar-f-type-coupe-sunroof.png   pics of jag f-type moon roof?-jaguar-f-type-coupe-5071-1080p-78.jpg  

Last edited by schraderade; 06-11-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
Jaguar has misleadingly called it a 'panoramic' roof. From the top it looks panoramic because there is a glass panel that extends across and along the roofline. But from the inside it is more like a traditional moonroof than a true panoramic roof because the opening doesn't really stretch across the entire roof.

I'm almost certain that Jaguar made this design decision in order to preserve the structural rigidity of the coupe (the design team has said in a video somewhere that this was very important to them).

I sat inside a coupe with the moonroof and it wasn't for me....it did brighten up the cabin but because the opening was smaller than I would have wanted, I felt it screwed up the purity of the lines in the interior and the light coming through it cast some weird shadows on the interior (I got a high contrast trim). And i realized i like the way the non-panoramic hardtop focuses the driver's attention on the road ahead...it felt purer to me.

But I'm probably in the minority since the panoramic roof has been really popular with buyers. I wouldn't get a polaris white without the pano roof.

Here are some photos I found of the roof from the inside. The 2nd photo makes the moonroof look bigger than it actually is because it uses a wide-angle lens.
Agree, the only way I would get a white ftype is with the panoramic roof and the white ftype is the only one that looks good with one, from what I've seen and from my own perspective. I had the same sort of feeling or sense when I sat one with a panoramic roof as you did.. of course I don't care for convertibles much either, so no surprise.
Lawrence.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade

No disrespect, but I'd consider the bolded criticism a bit on the nit-picky side, JMHO.

In my initial encounter, I would have rated the "moonroof" as significantly larger than I expected, and certainly larger than many of the operable moonroofs and/or sunroofs on the market. Yes, there are some vehicles where the glass extends all the way back to the rear deck.

I find the shared commentary about the Panoramic Roof and the White F-type intriguing. Will have to investigate further...

Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
No disrespect, but I'd consider the bolded criticism a bit on the nit-picky side, JMHO.

In my initial encounter, I would have rated the "moonroof" as significantly larger than I expected, and certainly larger than many of the operable moonroofs and/or sunroofs on the market. Yes, there are some vehicles where the glass extends all the way back to the rear deck.

I find the shared commentary about the Panoramic Roof and the White F-type intriguing. Will have to investigate further...
Yes, most definite to my eyes at least.. the white is fab. with the panoramic roof... for my own taste I don't like it as much on the other colours. Actually the white convertible looks great too; where I live convertibles just are not so easy to get along with. .if its not snowing, its raining and if its sunny its either freezing or hot as h-ll.
Actually with the Ftype, they look great in any colour, so its just down to personal choice..
I did understand however how the panoramic roof changes the car.. I do like the idea of more light to some extent, however its the outside of a red car that just didn't seem right to me.. so it was about the look concerning the car I ended up with.
Lawrence

Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Yup. It was totally subjective!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

My dealer has a salsa red coupe (V6S) with pano roof - thought it looked great, but it was covered with pine pollen so I didn't bother with a picture.

Of course, I'm biased...

Old 06-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
My dealer has a salsa red coupe (V6S) with pano roof - thought it looked great, but it was covered with pine pollen so I didn't bother with a picture.

Of course, I'm biased...
hehe my dealer here also has the same setup with the black studded wheels. Car looks fantastic with the 'pano' roof.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got the panoramic roof, it's excellent, perfect amount of tint when you're sitting inside the car. The actual transparent portion is quite large. One thing: my car is the dark sapphire blue so you can't really see it's got the special roof. It would be more distinctive with a lighter exterior paint (red, white, silver, etc.).

Old 04-28-2015, 04:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
would it be possible to turn the panoramic roof into a retractable sun roof?
I know it's not offered officially, but would it be hard to do ? I like some air from above, without going full convertible...

Old 04-28-2015, 06:21 AM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Anything is possible. Take out the glass and put in a custom made sun roof.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Excuse the silly question

Excuse the silly question but is it possible to open the panoramic sunroof in order allow wind in the cabin?
Thanks
-dag

Old 04-30-2015, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by dag82
Excuse the silly question but is it possible to open the panoramic sunroof in order allow wind in the cabin?
Thanks
-dag
No. It doesn't open. Just a shade to close if you don't want to see the sky. It really does make the cabin look much larger when the shade is open though.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by dag82
Thanks
-dag
I bought a white R with pano roof. I didn't even think to see of the roof would open on my test drive. I was too wrapped up in the drive and sounds of the car.
I bought it and learned afterwards it doesn't open. I was a little sheepish and disappointed but find I don't really miss it. A lot of light comes through the roof that make a it feel very open and spacious.

Quick Reply: pics of jag f-type moon roof?