F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A pillar fuse box access

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A pillar fuse box access

I want to hard wire my radar detector. I can't find any obvious access.
Please help>

Old 02-05-2017, 09:35 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I believe some folks have gotten power from the rear view mirror. Search 'radar detector'.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

The guy that fitted my dash cam said the end of the dash pops off (next to glovebox, i.e., the panel that is flush with the door when closed).

Old 02-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by rshatz
I want to hard wire my radar detector. I can't find any obvious access.
Please help>
I had no trouble hard wiring my detector using a mirror tap, however it turns out I have the infrared reflective windshield, rendering said detector completely useless. I trust you have a car earlier than MY17 when this became standard, and otherwise not installed as an option?

Old 02-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 643 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
I had no trouble hard wiring my detector using a mirror tap, however it turns out I have the infrared reflective windshield, rendering said detector completely useless. I trust you have a car earlier than MY17 when this became standard, and otherwise not installed as an option?
Isn't there a gap right next to the rear view mirror specifically for detectors/garage door openers and such?

Old 02-05-2017, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I think there was supposed to be a gap for toll tags.

I ran my dashcam wiring down the driver side A pillar (and yes, you can pop the end cap off the dash when the door is open to get better access) and into the fuse box in the driver side.

If you have a spare dextrous technical five year old to crawl in there and plug things in it makes life easier (much as Victorian folks used to send them up chimneys) otherwise you are going to have to push the seat back as far as it goes and prepare to contort - a headlamp is advisable to be able to illuminate the fuse box but i predict there may be Much Cursing in the Footwell.

Taking it from the mirror with a mirror tap would probably be easier but I already had the fuse tap left over from the XFR installation to reuse. Such is the hair shirt we wear when recycling.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Isn't there a gap right next to the rear view mirror specifically for detectors/garage door openers and such?
That spot works for toll stickers, but it's impossible to mount a radar detector such that it can "see" out of that location.