F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Sport 4AS VS Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 01:08 PM
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Pilot Sport 4AS VS Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Since I can't find rear Pilot Sport 4 AS, I'm considering the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I seem to recall people being happy with the Continentals. I will run these all year. Any feedback is appreciated. Not sure weather to wait on the Pilot Sports or just go with the Continentals.

Old 12-03-2021, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by crashxx
Since I can't find rear Pilot Sport 4 AS, I'm considering the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. I seem to recall people being happy with the Continentals. I will run these all year. Any feedback is appreciated. Not sure weather to wait on the Pilot Sports or just go with the Continentals.
At the risk of repetition—as anyone here who knows me—I run Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06’s (there’s a new + version of them) on 2 of my 4 vehicles I run year round to great success. My other two also run on Continental Tires. Well, one on Continental and the other on General Tires, which is owned by Continental.

Needless to say I am an ardent “fan”, even if I am an unpaid spokesperson. Having said that, I am not an under-appreciated customer as Continental Tire has sponsored 5 of the 7 events I have hosted (the only reason they didn’t sponsor the other two was I did not ask them to) and for that I am extremely appreciative (as well as all the people throughout the US and aboard who are still wearing their commemorative shirts). And their sponsoring my events has ZERO to do with my personal satisfaction of their tires.

And anyone who does know me knows I am not Captain Slow.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 12-03-2021 at 08:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
datriani (02-09-2022), Rodgerrabbit (01-16-2023), Sparky H (03-29-2023)
Old 12-03-2021, 03:41 PM

I think I'll go with the Continentals. Don't want to go another winter on PZero's. Do you know what the new name/number of the DWS's is?

Old 12-03-2021, 04:15 PM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Dws 06 plus

The following users liked this post:
crashxx (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:19 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

I had numerous sets of DWS tires and all were consistent except one set that wore down very prematurely (5k and bald) - unlike most on the forum, I am not enamored with Michelin’s and had issues with a set of PS4S tires on the f-type so I went to firehawk indy’s, but I do have the new AS 4’s on my challenger and my initial impression is good, Car can be difficult to handle, but the Michelin’s do hold better than the fairly worn Mickey Thompson’s I removed. My experience with Michelin has either been really good or really bad, but I have had 6 sets of continentals, including my pickup, and they were very consistent and delivered the performance expected.

LMS (12-04-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:57 PM
Received 341 Likes on 208 Posts

I just put a set of DWS06 plus on my X150 XKR this week. I too was tired of my summer Pirelli p-zero, which still had lots of tread left, as would like to drive in the Winter when weather is decent out here in New England. Pirelli’s made all sorts of odd noise when it is cold out as to be expected. Fine for Summer but not this time of year. And I have no interest in seasonal tire swaps.
I don’t drive to the limit of the car and the Contis fit the bill for a GT car. Quiet, comfy and good all weather grip but I’ve only got minimal miles on them so far. Also considerably cheaper than UHP all season Michelins.
You just missed a $70 rebate. They also have a good flat repair and road hazard warranty.
I would recommend them.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:01 PM
Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by V7Sport
I just put a set of DWS06 plus on my X150 XKR this week. I too was tired of my summer Pirelli p-zero, which still had lots of tread left, as would like to drive in the Winter when weather is decent out here in New England. Pirelli’s made all sorts of odd noise when it is cold out as to be expected. Fine for Summer but not this time of year. And I have no interest in seasonal tire swaps.
I don’t drive to the limit of the car and the Contis fit the bill for a GT car. Quiet, comfy and good all weather grip but I’ve only got minimal miles on them so far. Also considerably cheaper than UHP all season Michelins.
You just missed a $70 rebate. They also have a good flat repair and road hazard warranty.
I would recommend them.
I got a great deal on the AS 4’s from discount tire. They matched a great price, added my military discount, $110 from Michelin and $80 because I applied for their credit card - $1308.00 including taxes, install, lifetime balance/rotation, and tire certificates for a set of 305/35/20’s. The Michelin’s had awesome real world reviews and I wanted to have at least a couple driving options for sub 45 degree weather,

V7Sport (12-04-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 08:34 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Debated this exact issue.

Tire shops pretty much said the Michelins are noisy to me....the AS4 versus the Conti DWS06 plus. Also said the "plus" part made the handling of the DWS equal to the Michelin.

I put the Conti's on my car - a type S. They are great and handle for street tires probably equal to many summer tires. They are really quiet (at under 1k miles so far). At 30 degrees the rubber feels sticky like an R comp does at 80 degrees, at least to me. Sort of amazing. Prior car had Michelin AS 3+. Frankly both are great. The conti's are more quiet and turn in is excellent. My 2c.

Also, the michelins did not last as long as they were supposed to .....about half as much. Will be curious to see how the conti's last.

Both are great. If your goal is absolute track use..the michelins may be better but an UHP all season is not the right place for that ...the conti's are sharp to me and I don't think about it too much. I have 19" wheels fwiw and they ride great.

PS: The Conti's are a few pounds lighter each....to me that matters and on a prior car I noticed that. The OE wheels are so heavy that it may not matter too much on this car....hopefully that is not all from the sidewalls.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-03-2021 at 09:05 PM.
V7Sport (12-04-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 08:40 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts

I put the DWSs on my 2017 this past spring. Quiet and excellent road handling. Went through a horrendous downpour on an interstate hiway in Sept. and the car stayed glued to the road and in control. Although I don't plan on driving this car in snow here in Central WI, it's good to know these tires can handle it.

V7Sport (12-04-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 12:47 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had DWS's on several cars including a BMW 325i, a Jaguar S Type and currently a 2008 Jaguar XJ. I have had exceptional good luck with them and they have done well including in the rain and light snow - just like advertised. I have AS 4's on my F Type and they work great as well. I have had 3 issues with the DWS's 1) their sidewalls seem to be delicate so susceptible to irreparable damage from curbs and road hazards; 2) they tend to get hard as they wear so rain/snow performance seems to get worse before the corresponding letters fade from view (they were terrible on my BMW as they got between 7 and 10 years old); and 3) I find their sidewalls are a little softer than the Michelins and I wonder if they would have the same lateral stability when pushed harder on the F Type. That said, I think DWS's are great for GT use but I am not so sure for more spirited driving even moderated for having all season shoes.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jberry20
I have had DWS's on several cars including a BMW 325i, a Jaguar S Type and currently a 2008 Jaguar XJ. I have had exceptional good luck with them and they have done well including in the rain and light snow - just like advertised. I have AS 4's on my F Type and they work great as well. I have had 3 issues with the DWS's 1) their sidewalls seem to be delicate so susceptible to irreparable damage from curbs and road hazards; 2) they tend to get hard as they wear so rain/snow performance seems to get worse before the corresponding letters fade from view (they were terrible on my BMW as they got between 7 and 10 years old); and 3) I find their sidewalls are a little softer than the Michelins and I wonder if they would have the same lateral stability when pushed harder on the F Type. That said, I think DWS's are great for GT use but I am not so sure for more spirited driving even moderated for having all season shoes.

I think the above is a good summary - but I tend to replace all tires I use on 'performance" cars at 5 years max if they last that long. As a rule I just don't trust rubber on tires even new tech rubber to last that long. The above comments sort of make me feel good about my otherwise expensive behavior.

crashxx (12-06-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 03:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For any of you guys running DWS06+ on an AWD R: I've been thinking about the same set for a while now, the OEM Pirelli's on my AWD R aren't dead yet but, do you have any complaints at all about grip when driving your R flat out in a straight line? Does it depend on the weather maybe? I've been looking at the DWS06+ because I read Continental tires in general are quieter (my main ask) and still preform well but tires aren't really something I can try out and return easily.

Old 12-05-2021, 03:43 PM

In my Type S awd they have been sticky in cold (35F) weather.....but I must admit I don't launch the car as I feel that is tough on things and I want the car to last. If rolling...and then I push it to the floor, there is no slip. In fact, I would say these tires are great. The non-plus tires were supposedly a lot softer on the side than the plus variant (the new revision).....so before I would have said go Michelin. But now, I have been told the new tires are equal....I feel the precision of the dws06plus is equal to the AS3+ Michelin...so Conti got the sidewall issues, to my hands and rear, fixed.... Michelins AS4 is a great tire but I don't think they made it less noisy, but the AS3+ was loud with 7mm of tread left....these continentals by comparison are very quiet. They hum, but it is an order of magnitude better. I have 19" wheels and my car is not an R...so ymmv.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-05-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:27 PM

Tire Rack has a good comparison of 4 UHP all season tires including the DWS06+ and the Michelin. All are excellent tires but each have nuances that may matter to you.
interesting comments on the sidewall susceptibility. Here in New England, we have lots of granite curbs which will shred anything so I always try to be extra careful as I’m sure everyone here does. Poured concrete curbs are definitely easier on tires.
Continental does have a few warranty items like 60 day try out period, flat repair/ towing (but I have AAA Plus anyway) and 1 year road hazard that were appealing. For my 2008 XKR with 19” rims, I paid $1044 USD mounted, balanced and tax which I thought was reasonable. Note the Continental mileage pro-rated warranty is halved with the staggered wheel setup.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Every now and then—even for just my own edification—I will send a tire thread to “our man”, and my very dear friend, at Continental Tire to see what he has to say. I sent him this thread and these are his comments:

The [Continental] DWS 06 + update specifically addresses the sidewall concerns of the prior DWS 06. Stronger construction which helps with impact resistance and turn-in response. As to the post which mentions hardening at 7-10 years….manufacturer recommends replacement of any tire at 6 years regardless of mileage. Tread compound and tire construction components age and are susceptible to ozone damage beyond 6 years of age. Not a coincidence that manufacturer warranties stop at 72 months.

The following 5 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
DJS (12-05-2021), JgaXkr (12-05-2021), Mbourne (12-06-2021), scm (12-05-2021), uncheel (12-09-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:35 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I will be interested in reading owner's opinions of the Conti DWS 06+ tires after they acquire some miles on them. I had several sets of the Michelin Pilot Sport tires on my Nissan 370Z throughout my ownership and their dry weather performance was always outstanding in temperate Southern California. They did require replacement at around 25,000 to 28,000 miles though. And, they were very noisy. Most of our freeways are grooved and the road noise was so severe that you couldn't hold a conversation with a passenger without talking in a really loud voice. When you suddenly hit a stretch of pavement with smooth asphalt the noise dropped dramatically. I have noticed the Pirelli's do the same thing although the F Type is still quieter than my 370Z.

So, like may owners here when the Pirelli's are in need of replacement I will want another high performance tire that is equal to the car's potential but noise will be part of the consideration.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:17 AM

I had my first substantial mileage on the new DWS06+ tires yesterday. About 60 (dry to damp) miles on freeways ( up to 75 mph) and B roads with asphalt. Compared to the p-zeros especially in cooler temps, these were definitely more comfortable and much quieter. My home road is recently chip sealed and nothing is quiet there!
Handling and steering were fine but also no big challenges encountered either.
Very happy so far.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:39 PM

We got the DWS+6's on and love them. Much quieter than the P Zeros and I swear they ride better. Thank you all for the input. I thought someone had said something about a warranty they had that you would register online, but I can't remember where I saw that. am I making it up?

Old 02-07-2022, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by crashxx
We got the DWS+6's on and love them. Much quieter than the P Zeros and I swear they ride better. Thank you all for the input. I thought someone had said something about a warranty they had that you would register online, but I can't remember where I saw that. am I making it up?
👍 Very happy with the DWS6+ on my 2008 XKR as well. The only thing I remember filling out online was a rebate form.
There is info on the Continental web site on the warranty for road hazard, towing, tread wear mileage etc. but believe your proof of purchase is the registration.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:44 PM

Got it. I'll check that out. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport 4AS VS Continental Extreme Contact DWS