Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pimp my ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 12:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pimp my ride?

Hey all,
Looking for ideas and suggestions about customizing the look of my base 2014 F type. It's white with a black interior and black rag top. Some of my thoughts have been black wheels, black the side chrome vents and maybe do black with the badges and leaper, maybe some de-badging? I.e., essentially doing the chrome in black. i don't have any experience doing this, so any input is welcomed and appreciated. Here are some of my thoughts/questions:
1). New wheels vs painting/wrapping existing wheels?
2). Matt or gloss finish?
3). What to do with the badges? Partial or complete de-badge?
4). Leaper placement? Not thrilled with the leaper on the bonnet, but is there really any other place for it? Considered maybe the left side of the rear license plate, with "F-Type" on the right, but would that throw the balance off visually? Not sure if that would work or just look awkward.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 556 Likes on 358 Posts

Moving the leaper is involved. I did it on my last F-Type. The leaper has two pins on it that set into corresponding holes in the trunk lid. I took my car to an auto boy shop, had them fill the holes and repaint the entire trunk lid. After that was done, I bought a black leaper, cut off the pins and then placed it exactly where I wanted it.

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
DMeister (03-28-2023), tallslenderguy (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Moving the leaper is involved. I did it on my last F-Type. The leaper has two pins on it that set into corresponding holes in the trunk lid. I took my car to an auto boy shop, had them fill the holes and repaint the entire trunk lid. After that was done, I bought a black leaper, cut off the pins and then placed it exactly where I wanted it.
Thanks for the info. Where did you end up putting the leaper? Do you have a pic?

Old 03-27-2023, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

This is what I would do if I had a crack at your car (assuming the top is black):
1. get some gunmetal rims, I would spend the extra for forged as they really improve handling and ride. I have 21s on my S, if my car was a base I would probably stick at 20's as the base suspension is a bit firmer. I would go as wide as I could, with a nice deep dish. Otherwise have your existing rims painted gunmetal satin. It looks better than full black IMO;
2. black out the A pillar (gloss black wrap), and vents;
3. debadge save for the rear leaper (make black) and front growler. On the coupe I was able to move the rear leaper down a bit to reposition it without having to fill the holes, not sure about the vert;
4. once that is done look to see whether it needs other black bits to break it up in the side view, eg, black wrap on the wing mirrors;
5. red brake calipers is always nice on a white and black car if you dont have them already.

Nothing too fancy there but I reckon it would look pretty flash. If you get an aftermarket black leaper, be careful as some are skinny and look malnourished.

The following users liked this post:
tallslenderguy (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
This is what I would do if I had a crack at your car (assuming the top is black):
1. get some gunmetal rims, I would spend the extra for forged as they really improve handling and ride. I have 21s on my S, if my car was a base I would probably stick at 20's as the base suspension is a bit firmer. I would go as wide as I could, with a nice deep dish. Otherwise have your existing rims painted gunmetal satin. It looks better than full black IMO;
2. black out the A pillar (gloss black wrap), and vents;
3. debadge save for the rear leaper (make black) and front growler. On the coupe I was able to move the rear leaper down a bit to reposition it without having to fill the holes, not sure about the vert;
4. once that is done look to see whether it needs other black bits to break it up in the side view, eg, black wrap on the wing mirrors;
5. red brake calipers is always nice on a white and black car if you dont have them already.

Nothing too fancy there but I reckon it would look pretty flash. If you get an aftermarket black leaper, be careful as some are skinny and look malnourished.
Thanks, these are great ideas. i'm thinking the same thing re affect, just looking to take it up a few notches, not remake the car... and yeah, the ragtop is black, so black seems a logical way to go with the accents.

BruceTheQuail (03-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

Yeah I've done similar with my IRR coupe and I love the look, I'd really like to have a go at a white one as I think white with black bits looks fantastic, it is how I would always tart up my builds in the NFS games lol

tallslenderguy (03-27-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 06:40 AM
Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I'm looking to potentially put PPF over the majority of an F-type, including that rear area where the jag leaper badge is, so this is of interest to me. Is this the type of thing where the leaper could be taken off and clipped right back in place no problem after the PPF is applied? Or would I need to buy new grommets or a new leaper badge or anything?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2023, 07:43 AM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm replacing my chrome 18" Velas next week if interested. Stackin deep and sellin cheap boiiiii...
(crickets...many crickets)