F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli Tires 2021 F type

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 08:25 PM
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I was the originator of this thread, so I thought the interested would like the results. I contacted Pirelli headquarters first and pled my case. They through it back that this was the tire Jaguar spec'd for F type R because it was their "racing" car. I realized then that I'd get no where this guy, so I contacted my dealer service manager and walked him through this entire issue...starting with my purchase of the new car 2 years and 3845 miles prior and at over $100,000. He seemed to be sensitive to my anger/disappointment of having to replace these rear tires at such ultra low miles...which was idiotic to even repeat! So, he apparently went to higher end management and they agreed to replace both rear tires, all the labor and taxes included, for a very friendly price...very friendly. I was given the option to pick out whatever tire I wanted and decided on the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06+. I still belong to the Corvette Forum and quite a few of the Z06 owners have switched to these tires and had high praises.
IMO, Jaguar has to get their heads out of their collective butts to spec these Pirellis on any future hot rods they may build.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:36 AM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Folks, I found out last year with a new F150 that new tires on brand new Fords do not have as much tread as the same model tires that are destined for retail shops. A game of dollars I was told. Not sure if this is the case with Pirelli P Zeros and Jaguar (very small sample size with both so far), but Ford for instance in their contracts with manufacturers for supply of new tires on new cars stipulates 1/2 regular tread life than that of retail new. Perhaps this isn’t the case with Jaguar being a higher end brand, but it would be interesting to find out.

FWIW I also own a 2020 Nissan 370 Nismo edition equipped with Bridgestone Potenza’s. The Bridgestones are fantastic sporting tires, would recommend to anyone.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

1/2 tread of OEM Pirellis?
Not my experience!!
Neither is it my experience that they wear out in a 3,000 miles.
I do not really have any negatives with these tires.
Just about to switch back to my Summer P-Zeros from my excellent Michelin A/S PS4's

The following users liked this post:
NewLester de Rocin (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 10:03 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

On a previous XKR I had to replace a rear Dunlop Maxx due to pothole damage at about half life. The tyre guy brought a generic, non-J marked replacement (I'd ordered the J-marked one and was pretty cross that he screwed up) but as I needed the tyre I let him fit it. That generic one wore down as quicikly as the part worn J-marked one on the other side so, in my limited experience, the generic Dunlop ones last half as long as the Jaguar ones.

NewLester de Rocin (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 12:19 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The best high-performance tires that I have been using for over 4 years is the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa PNCS 305/30ZR20. These are super sticky and very quiet. I have used most of the other high performance summer tires in the category and these provide the best and predictable driving experience.

It's the default tire for the McLaren 720s too.

I have them on my F-Type V8 RWD and a Corvette C7 with 850+ HP that runs 135mph ET in the 1/4 mile.

The following 2 users liked this post by djyankees31:
NewLester de Rocin (04-17-2023), spegor (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 01:24 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by djyankees31
The best high-performance tires that I have been using for over 4 years is the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa PNCS 305/30ZR20. These are super sticky and very quiet. I have used most of the other high performance summer tires in the category and these provide the best and predictable driving experience.

It's the default tire for the McLaren 720s too.

I have them on my F-Type V8 RWD and a Corvette C7 with 850+ HP that runs 135mph ET in the 1/4 mile.
djyankees just pointed out a magnificent fact: "P-Zero" is a term that MUST be qualified before anyone can compare this-to-that. I've been reading up on my own during the winter so much about Pirelli, that it frustrates me how MUCH the company keeps insisting on pushing the "P-Zero" tag on their tires, when so many of those same tires are flat-out different from each other!

PZero is a tire that's LITERALLY no longer made. Pirelli has lightly admitted that a few times, but I get that the name PZero has SUCH a history and fan following since before 2016, that the company boosts sales just to keep slapping the tag on every tire. In truth the TREADS are signficantly different on each of these modern "PZero" models. The tread design on the PZ4 alone changes nearly every two years. Each model was INTENDED for a different SORT of car, Pirelli doesn't go into enough detail with consumers what tire is for which sort,.... and lord help us when you tangle yourself up with one of those versions Pirelli says was specced for particular car maker -Y. Stay away from PZeros that were factory-mated for a certain Jaguar or BMW or Alfa, etc... they likely won't deliver the particular qualities YOU are looking for---"specced" means they are meant to deliver a specific narrow quality the car MAKER wants to emphasize in that car.
I'm not sure there IS a PZero model that can handle an F-Type pleasingly. Neros are splendid on Mustangs, but get tons of thumbs down when we put them on our F-Types. Corsas are designed to smooth out rough pavement, and meet the demand of cars that have powerful REAR wheel action---I hear XKR drivers love the Corsas (because XKR drivers love a tire that will slip the rears on demand--it's part of what owning a glorious beast like an XKR is about, right?). I've read a couple of F-Type owners who hit the jackpot with the Corsa, but only a couple.
PZ4s are becoming more popular with the reviewers as each new year's version comes out... but make no mistake, its RUBBER is designed touch the pavement as much as possible (way more rubber contacting the road in a PZ4 versus LESS rubber and more air spaces touching the road in competitors tires)... so no matter if you're a barbaric driver or a feather-accurate driver, your PZero PZ4 will eat up its rubber quicker than most other brands---that's the trade-off of its design. More rubber and less grooves.

AND, those of us who get the side bulges, the cracks, the chunking----that's how thoroughbred prissy the chemistry of some of these tires are. Some summer tires you can drive in 40 degree weather for three years, and not notice what the temp has done to your tire (it's done SOMETHING, but it's just not catastrophically noticeable to your driving). SOME summer tires, you just leave it in the drafty attic for just a week of 55 degree Georgia nights,... and hidden inside the tire all these voids and pockets will form...for the rest of the year they will crack and split like episode 31 of the walking dead. Flushed your cash down the hole!

You have to be VERY specific, and very particular when you consider trying anything called PZero. It's not a BAD tire,... but it's just too technical to let someone sell it to you just on the "PZero" name. You're too likely to get stuck with the wrong version for your needs. And Mr/Mrs Salesperson.... hehe, they don't know the subtleties either.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 04-17-2023 at 01:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewLester de Rocin:
DJS (04-17-2023), djyankees31 (04-18-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

My F-Type came equipped with OEM P-Zero tires marked AMS for Aston Martin, though Pirelli does not spec these for Jaguar.
Of course there are JLR vehicles other than the F-Type. So, perhaps the AMS spec is actually better suited to the F-Type?
As a daily (fast) driver (no tracking), I am pretty certain I would be unable to tell the difference!!
TireRack actually shows 4 UHP P-Zeros for the V6 P380

Pirelli P-Zero PZ4 (Alpina) $310 F/ $427 R
P-Zero (J) $330 F / $453 R
P-Zero (no brand spec.) $353 F / $414 R
P-Zero (AMS) $339 F / $403 R

Good luck making sense of that !!

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-sg/car/marked-tyres

Last edited by CJSJAG; 04-17-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
My F-Type came equipped with OEM P-Zero tires marked AMS for Aston Martin, though Pirelli does not spec these for Jaguar.
Of course there are JLR vehicles other than the F-Type. So, perhaps the AMS spec is actually better suited to the F-Type?
I can confirm they are not suited to an Aston Martin!

My Virage came with nearly new Aston specific P Zero's and they were absolutely hopeless when cold or the road was wet. If I pulled out of a junction in the wet I had to baby the throttle until I was up to a reasonable speed otherwise the car would fish tail. They also only lasted around 10,000 kms

I had the same experience with the OEM Dunlop Sport Maxxs on my XKR so switched to Pilot Sport 4s's and even with the power mods I have made since it just grips and goes. I therefore fitted a set of Pilot 4Ss to my Virage a few weeks ago and that also now just grips and goes. I came home from work in the rain the other night and, although I didn't absolutely mash the accelerator, it wouldn't break traction when pulling away from traffic lights.

The following 2 users liked this post by u102768:
djyankees31 (04-18-2023), NewLester de Rocin (04-18-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 10:14 PM

1/2 tread of OEM Pirellis?
Not my experience!!
Neither is it my experience that they wear out in a 3,000 miles.
I do not really have any negatives with these tires.
Just about to switch back to my Summer P-Zeros from my excellent Michelin A/S PS4's
I’m curious on your experience with this car and the Pirelli’s. Did you roll the new car off the lot, then replace with the same model tire from retail? This specific example would provide the context needed here. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2023, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member

Pupilbone, the new 2021 car from JLR came fitted with the AMS version of P-Zeros instead of the J version.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:52 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

It is always amazing to me how there can be such different opinions. For me, the Pilot Sport 4S was worlds better. Get even the Stage3 VAP on the road and no slip in all gears. The Pirelli has no longer brought the power on the road at Stage1. So that has nothing to do with placebo with me, these are bare facts :-)
Alone the rubber compound is much softer, more pleasant. Try to scratch with your fingernail in the Pirelli, it feels like you would scratch in a plastic wheel. Okay, a bit exaggerated, but just clearly different from the PS4S.

Andi

Old 04-18-2023, 06:28 AM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I had under 12k when I replaced the tires on mine with a set of Michelins. I have to say the Michelin Pilots are wearing worse but also admit I get on the car from time to time. I was somewhat shocked that I think I have less than 6k on the Michelins and think I will be lucky to get another 6k out of them. So from a wear perspective I don't think I gained anything at all.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:57 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Pupilbone, the new 2021 car from JLR came fitted with the AMS version of P-Zeros instead of the J version.
I don't think there is a J version for 295, only 285 for the rears (XKR sizes).

Old 04-18-2023, 07:38 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I don't think there is a J version for 295, only 285 for the rears (XKR sizes).
I have The P-Zero (295mm) marked J on my 2021 Ftype now and also the same marked J in the OEM tires 2 years ago
I think there is no marked J tires in the 305 mm size

Old 04-18-2023, 07:46 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Andi Jaguar G
It is always amazing to me how there can be such different opinions. For me, the Pilot Sport 4S was worlds better. Get even the Stage3 VAP on the road and no slip in all gears. The Pirelli has no longer brought the power on the road at Stage1. So that has nothing to do with placebo with me, these are bare facts :-)
Alone the rubber compound is much softer, more pleasant. Try to scratch with your fingernail in the Pirelli, it feels like you would scratch in a plastic wheel. Okay, a bit exaggerated, but just clearly different from the PS4S.

Andi
Yes, I have to agree. Credit has to go to these blockbuster companies for the amount of research and seriousness they DO put into tire design. The French, the Italian, the others....lord, they have been investing blood and bone into those LeMans and F1, etc events every year.
But each race LITERALLY is a different kind of "race", and needs a different kind of tire to endure it, and..... so in the end it makes sense that ACME sport-tire is going to be weirdly better suited to firmness or water management, or less responsive and less rubbery than Zeus race-tire,...LOL cuz they were developed from different racing histories.
...How's an ordinary consumer like us supposed to be able to buy a right tire for ourselves, when each manufacturer and car maker has their own agenda about "good tire"?
We should all get together and start our own tire review website (like that guy Thomas does for cars?). Those Pro Reviewers are absolute rubbish when it comes to addressing our in-depth needs---I don't care if Tire-1 shops 2 feet shorter than Tire-2 when spritzing purified Swedish mountain water on a multi-million dollar test track. I drive on concrete and aged tar, through acid rain and picante sauce wrappers from Taco Bell.

And another question: Where did PupilBone get his member name from, because I can't figure what it means, and it sounds so weirdly and annoyingly COOL. I need to know these things!

djyankees31 (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 10:54 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by spegor
I have The P-Zero (295mm) marked J on my 2021 Ftype now and also the same marked J in the OEM tires 2 years ago
Ah, I sit corrected! I know several years ago I found no J-marked rears and assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that they weren't available. I went for MPS4S, Mercedes marked in the end.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
Yes, I have to agree. Credit has to go to these blockbuster companies for the amount of research and seriousness they DO put into tire design. The French, the Italian, the others....lord, they have been investing blood and bone into those LeMans and F1, etc events every year.
But each race LITERALLY is a different kind of "race", and needs a different kind of tire to endure it, and..... so in the end it makes sense that ACME sport-tire is going to be weirdly better suited to firmness or water management, or less responsive and less rubbery than Zeus race-tire,...LOL cuz they were developed from different racing histories.
...How's an ordinary consumer like us supposed to be able to buy a right tire for ourselves, when each manufacturer and car maker has their own agenda about "good tire"?
We should all get together and start our own tire review website (like that guy Thomas does for cars?). Those Pro Reviewers are absolute rubbish when it comes to addressing our in-depth needs---I don't care if Tire-1 shops 2 feet shorter than Tire-2 when spritzing purified Swedish mountain water on a multi-million dollar test track. I drive on concrete and aged tar, through acid rain and picante sauce wrappers from Taco Bell.

And another question: Where did PupilBone get his member name from, because I can't figure what it means, and it sounds so weirdly and annoyingly COOL. I need to know these things!
Mr. de Rocin, full disclosure with Pubilbone as my member name - which I use across all platforms I subscribe to: Some 35 years ago as a 15yr old kid sitting in his basement playing Link the Legend of Zelda on Super Nintendo; I had a decision forced upon me… this awesome game was asking me for a username?! What do I say? Pupilbone appeared in my head. Although I have no idea where it came from, the thought of it made me roll in laughter. Yes, as truthful as that, the thought of pupils and wieners together in one name brought glee (and tears of laughter) to my 15yr old brain. This proud username has endured since, right thru to this fine place.

To the new group I’ve joined, please don’t condemn the I was kid for having a sense of humour, or the man I am for still boldly wearing it. After all, I have good taste in vehicles!

DJS (04-19-2023)