Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A plea from the future car collector

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
I really doubt 30 years from now that someone who really wants a vintage F is going to scan a flash history on the car unless it becomes part of a Carfax type report. I'm sure the ability to reset the flash to factory specs will be as simple as putting a windows 98 operating system back on a XP machine as some of us used to do for stability sake. Rust, mileage and overall condition will be the determining factor as it has always been over the years, not a flash history I suspect.

Did I take you back far enough with that OS reference?
If you had referenced CPM DOS (or even any of the assembly languages), it would have been more meaningful.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I really doubt
Can dealers today determine you are not/were not running stock tune? If yes, then in 30 year they will still have this ability.

I have no idea how they look for this, if someone with first or second hand knowledge knows I'd be interested to hear.

Back in the day, you'd look at ECU for signs of being opened, since you had to put in new CMOS chip with maps.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Can dealers today determine you are not/were not running stock tune? If yes, then in 30 year they will still have this ability.

I have no idea how they look for this, if someone with first or second hand knowledge knows I'd be interested to hear.

Back in the day, you'd look at ECU for signs of being opened, since you had to put in new CMOS chip with maps.
30 years from now, if your car is pristine, no collector will run an autopsy on your car. It will go to the next highest bidder. I have a feeling the demand will be high and not a hard sell like you're thinking. Which brings up an interesting point....

How do you even anticipate the future of used car buying to be 30 years down the road. We've gone from signs in the windows to car lots to auto trader to Carmax to eBay. What do you think will even be the norm by then? One thing for sure, it will be perfected in a way that everyone world wide thats looking for a car like yours will instantly know you have one for sale without them needing to stumble across it. They will sit at a computer and simply click on your account and your digital net worth will simply increase in a few seconds...I think by then hundreds of people will be making cyber offers on whatever you have for sale and all you need to do is click "accept" to get your bitcoin. Instant marketplace valuation in real time..Right?

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-21-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Unhingd turned his V6 into a monster. Thing is, his car won't survive 5 years of using that power on the track - it will need new pistons, cams, new supercharger, new synchros , new driveshaft... because he took many components past designed tolerances. He is taking well-informed risks, but his car can throw a rod tomorrow and be out of luck on warranty. Longer the car stays on the road like that, greater is the risk of failure. It won't make it on original engine long enough to become collectable classic.
Bad example. I plan on getting a couple hundred thousand miles out of this car. (whether the original engine or not). It won't be a collectible based on the mileage alone and has no value to me as a collectible since I'll be long gone by the time these cars start to really appreciate.
Oh..and you are correct... I never had a race car I ran for an entire season without rebuilding the engine. My highly tweaked (240hp) MINI on the other hand has lasted 14 years and 130,000 miles. My cars are definitely not destined for a Barret-Jackson auction, but I manage to ring a lot more fun out of them as a result.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

dup

Old 08-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I never had a race car I ran for an entire season without rebuilding the engine.
I end up rebuilding suspension a lot. Engines, not so much. Different driving styles?

Old 08-21-2016, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

30 years from now, if your car is pristine, no collector will run an autopsy on your car.
While this might change, this is not how it works today. You get dinged for using the wrong type of seat stuffing, FFS. Yes, if it is possible to do, collectors will look at ECU tune history. The only way it won't have impact if it is possible to do it traceless.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

We should all be as optimistic as the OP, to think that 30 years from now, we will have the backs and necks necessary to get in and out of and Ftype and navigate the blindspots.

Moral of the story is why wait for the next life, it wont be any better and its later than you think.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
We should all be as optimistic as the OP, to think that 30 years from now, we will have the backs and necks necessary to get in and out of and Ftype and navigate the blindspots.

Moral of the story is why wait for the next life, it wont be any better and its later than you think.
+1. Carpe diem.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

During recent general track meet an older gentlemen with a tub Porsche showed up. He was taking his granddaughter, who showed interest, to the track. I talked with him briefly, he told me he purchased it new.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

During recent general track meet an older gentlemen with a tub Porsche showed up. He was taking his granddaughter, who showed interest, to the track. I talked with him briefly, he told me he purchased it new.
I'll be 119 when my F-Type is as old as that Porsche. I will have moved on by then. lol.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4vuW6tQ0218" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 08-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

The most interesting cars at any car show are the ones that are still owned by the original purchaser. Its the stories of adventures, vacations, trips, races, accidents, etc. that go along with the car that are lost when the car is sold. If only cars could talk. I'm not sure about vintage Jaguars, but in the NCRS world, its become part of the restoration process to track down all the previous owners and interview them to document a Corvette's history for posterity. Its just like watching those antiques shows when they talk about provenance. People will pay more for an antique if its got an interesting story behind it. Its the difference between bragging to your friends "Take a look at this 50 year old Jaguar I just bought. Isn't it beautiful?" vs. "This 50 year old Jaguar I just bought used to be be driven in SCCA autocross. See here are some pictures of it in action during the 2016 season. Later it was owned by a retired urologist who nearly wrecked it on a mountain road......"