Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me decide between these two F types

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Please help me decide between these two F types

1. V6 (not S) fully loaded $79000 MSRP. It has the one option I really want (Vision package) and I like the other options (wheels, heated seats, top color matches car).

2. V8 S, MSRP 93,000. No vision package. But it has the louder exhaust. Please note in my city I have absolutely no use for the extra engine power.

Both are leases. Including insurance and the additional down payment, the V8 S is $210 more per month for 36 months.

So for $210 more I lose the Vision package, but get the loud exhaust and S badge. Worth it? I'm leaning no but want to see if I'm missing anything.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Banned

p.s. If you're wondering why I would be interested in the V8 S if I don't have any use for the power -- it's only because of its louder engine. Just not sure if it's worth $210 per month and losing the Vision package (which I find very useful).

Old 09-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

does the V6 come with active exhaust? if so, then it's PLENTY loud.

is the v6 a coupe or a vert? I wouldn't own this car in coupe without the vision pack. the c pillar is really big and impossible to see around.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't care what city you live in- you can always find a way to use the V8 S's power. And West Hollywood is not a unique place to where you can't enjoy the car and its engine.

I would always choose more power over options but that's my opinion. Also why can't the dealer source you a car that you want instead of these two?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Banned

These are 2014 lease deals so I don't have a ton of options; also, if I got the V8 S with the vision package it would probably be like a $100,000 car and the payment would go up by another $150 or so, including insurance.

They're both convertibles, which is what I want.

The V6 does not have the button to bypass the exhaust, but the V8 S does.

As far as speed, the V6 340hp is still dangerously fast. What I mean by that is, some cars are such that you can drive them with a lead foot in city traffic (where you'll have little spurts of space where you can floor it) and not risk losing control and getting into an accident or something, but I couldn't drive the V6 that way. The V8 even more so.

But I do like that sound you hear from V12 Ferraris and such and wonder if it's worth another $220 or so. I guess what I'm really asking is -- how fun is that extra sound really is, or if you get tired of it after a while.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I don't know what the V6 without the exhaust sounds like...but for me the f-type is about the styling and the SOUND. When I'm not in dynamic + sport mode I'd rather just be driving a camry. But when the exhaust is on and the engine is revving, it's worth every penny. If you can afford the extra payments, get the V8. I think you'll regret not having that amazing sound.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shift
I don't know what the V6 without the exhaust sounds like...but for me the f-type is about the styling and the SOUND. When I'm not in dynamic + sport mode I'd rather just be driving a camry. But when the exhaust is on and the engine is revving, it's worth every penny. If you can afford the extra payments, get the V8. I think you'll regret not having that amazing sound.

Yes that's what I'm thinking. Even though I'll be driving at an average of 10-15 mph lol at least the V8 will add cool sounds. I'll have to decide if it's worth the extra money.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 AM
Banned

In watching videos, I saw one guy complain that he couldn't hear the normal engine sounds due to the motorcycle like sound on the v6s.

Has anyone gotten an s and gotten tired of or annoyed by the sound at times?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a fully optioned V8s and RR Evoque. Could I live without the vision packages? Yes. I never use the cameras and if you are no good at parallel parking, take a lesson. Should be a lot cheaper. Having tested both the v6s and v8s I can assure you that the v8s is a much beastlier car and more fun for me. Am I tired if the sound? No way. Does it sound great in 1st and 2nd? Absolutely!

Old 09-02-2014, 01:51 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry
Has anyone gotten an s and gotten tired of or annoyed by the sound at times?

Nope. The valves only open if I put my foot down, so for regular driving there's no extra noise. And with the top down, I can't hear much of the overrun pops, unless they're loud.

Was next to a Ferrari GTO (the new one, not the classic) on the freeway, and he put his foot down very briefly (heavy traffic). Sounded like a rifle shot. What a sound!

Old 09-02-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Nope. The valves only open if I put my foot down, so for regular driving there's no extra noise. And with the top down, I can't hear much of the overrun pops, unless they're loud.

Was next to a Ferrari GTO (the new one, not the classic) on the freeway, and he put his foot down very briefly (heavy traffic). Sounded like a rifle shot. What a sound!
599 GTO is a beauty but they command $500k these days since they are a fairly limited production. I'm not sure they will hold their value either. the F12 is quicker and louder believe it or not, (I've been in one) and you can pick one up for half the price of the GTO. They've said it'll be the last V12 they make so whatever final model comes out, Speciale or F12 GTO will be the one for collectors. On another note I seriously considered a 599GTB when buying my F-Type and test drove a couple at Ferrari SF (here in Marin). It was $40k more, felt bigger, heavier and wider and was 7 years old, although in lovely condition. The V8s felt just as fast if not faster and while the 599 sounded great my Vert sounds better and looks better with the top down. i just wish Jag would lower the car a touch.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,625 Likes on 8,308 Posts

Lunagry, if you're leasing your Jag from the Pasadena dealer, I'd be very skeptical about returning it to them when your lease expires. Might be a good idea to go elsewhere at lease end. "Nuff said from my experience with them.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 521 Likes on 374 Posts

Lunagry.....If you are considering the base F Type, make sure you take an extended test drive including uneven roads. The lack of the dynamic suspension produces an extremely bouncy ride which can become tiring over time.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Pass on the ugly choice

I have a fully loaded V8S, the Vision pack is one of my favorite options because it saves the front spoiler from a $5K surprise (the one on the XK-RS is $10K if you hit it) and you get adoptive headlights and I loooove adoptive headlights (have them on my Audi A3 as well). On the other hand the V8 is incredible from the sound to the massive kick in the pants when you push it. I'd wait and see if you can't find a deal on a relatively new V8S with the Vision pack were I you and/or check other dealers for a better deal. You don't have to make this ugly choice.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Banned

Well, after careful listening I decided to get the V6.

The vision package is very helpful in avoiding those once a year light bumps/scratches.

On the other hand, the sound of the V6 S and the V8 S isn't that impressive. It reminds me of something we used to call a rice rocket in the old days; in other words a not so impressive engine that makes extra sound simply because you deactivated part of the muffler.

I used to own a V12 XJS, and played with its muffler once, and it made a growl that frightened you. The F type, though, makes this vroom put put put like sound that reminds me of a Honda motorcycle. It seems like it's trying too hard. It's not in the deep guttoral sound class of a real V12, or an old school vette, so why bother.

But now I'm wondering about this dynamic suspension, although I probably wouldn't have use for it in LA.

Edit: wow me an eberle posted at the exact same time.

Last edited by lunagry; 09-04-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:43 AM

I wholeheartedly disagree and the V8s sound is immense, the V6 less so.

If the sound of the car is a big buying factor for you I would cancel that order and do some more test drives.

I used to own a F355 (the last decent sounding Ferrari V8) which sounded wonderful at high rpm but this Jaguar V8 is a whole new thing. You need to spend more time with it to appreciate it.

The 'crack' when you shift from 2nd to 3rd at 7-8k rpm will startle anyone within a mile.

Last edited by alexg; 09-05-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alexg
I wholeheartedly disagree and the V8s sound is immense, the V6 less so.

If the sound of the car is a big buying factor for you I would cancel that order and do some more test drives.

I used to own a F355 (the last decent sounding Ferrari V8) which sounded wonderful at high rpm but this Jaguar V8 is a whole new thing. You need to spend more time with it to appreciate it.

The 'crack' when you shift from 2nd to 3rd at 7-8k rpm will startle anyone within a mile.
I did hear them both and I agree that the V8 with the active exhaust turned on is very loud and it can startle you, but it sounds like you punched a hole in the exhaust system.

If I poked enough holes in the exhaust of the V6 (or heck, even a V4 car, or maybe even a 2 cylinder!), I could make that car louder and more startling that the V8S, but what's the point? It's like you're cheating.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

If I poked enough holes in the exhaust of the V6 (or heck, even a V4 car, or maybe even a 2 cylinder!), I could make that car louder and more startling that the V8S, but what's the point? It's like you're cheating.
Sound nowadays is so subjective that it may not be worth really debating. Different folks have different taste. However, I don't think any one manufacturer "cheats".

The Ferrari and Lambo exhaust notes are not natural in any sense of the word. Both manufacturers have studios dedicated to exhaust tuning, and no car gets approved for launch without first satisfying the ears of the seniormost execs at the companies. At Ferrari, this responsibility goes all the way up to Roberto Fedeli, the technical director. The engine startup sequence, exhaust pipe geometry and airflow design, size and resonance of the exhaust chambers all get tuned, so there is no such thing as "cheating", unless one is willing to say that all manufacturers cheat, in different ways.

BTW. sound has been a long-held tradition of British motorcars. The F-Type has unusual sound relative to recent Jaguar models, but it actually delivers better fidelity to the proud sonic tradition of british motorcars across manufacturers (Aston, Bentley, Jaguar, McLaren) and across history.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Banned

Yes it is subjective. I like very deep but understated sound, like a V12 operating behind a working exhaust system (Mercedes V12s come closest these days). I don't like cars that sounds like motorcycles, which unfortunately seems to be popular these days for example with the Lotuses.

I don't know why car makers don't simply install speakers underneath the car, and give the driver a choice of sound they would like the car to make at any particular time.

I know that sounds silly, but isn't it more reasonable than running the V8S rich and turning off part of the exhaust so that it makes a cracking sound? If you want to make a sound just play an MP3.

Last edited by lunagry; 09-05-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Yes it is subjective. I like very deep but understated sound, like a V12 operating behind a working exhaust system (Mercedes V12s come closest these days). I don't like cars that sounds like motorcycles, which unfortunately seems to be popular these days for example with the Lotuses.

I don't know why car makers don't simply install speakers underneath the car, and give the driver a choice of sound they would like the car to make at any particular time.

I know that sounds silly, but isn't it more reasonable than running the V8S rich and turning off part of the exhaust so that it makes a cracking sound? If you want to make a sound just play an MP3.
The sound the f type makes is not for everyone.. you might be best to get the car without the active exhaust or simply go for a different car.
Lawrence.

Quick Reply: Please help me decide between these two F types