Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me understand the difference between the 340 and 380 hp V6 models

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 06:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4uk
Do you have chewing gum for tyres lol.

I have to be careful with my V6s because its all to easy to spin the wheels out and you can get the back end out of shape quickly by hitting the gas pedal too early in a bend. Im in the UK so temps are lower and running with p zeros which are not the best in the wet or when the temps are lower
Ha, Ditto, on a 3.0 Base, but isn't that part of the fun!!

Not just in bends either, foot to the floor in a straight line (or not even all the way down either sometimes), like being on a skid pan... And that is on relatively new P-Zero rears, in Dubai, where it is never, ever, ever cold....

Benefits of rear wheel drive I guess..

Old 09-26-2018, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk Morey
Ha, Ditto, on a 3.0 Base, but isn't that part of the fun!!

Not just in bends either, foot to the floor in a straight line (or not even all the way down either sometimes), like being on a skid pan... And that is on relatively new P-Zero rears, in Dubai, where it is never, ever, ever cold....

Benefits of rear wheel drive I guess..
Clearly, the P-Zeros don't hook up under any conditions.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:05 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

FWIW - my 2016 base manual coupe has dynamic mode and active exhaust. For 2016 base models, active exhaust was included with the manual. If you haven't already, drive base and S models. Many have said that the base suspension set up, regardless of the fact that it is not adjustable, has such a nice firmness/comfort trade-off that they don't miss that feature on the S.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Banned
Received 425 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim F
FWIW - my 2016 base manual coupe has dynamic mode and active exhaust. For 2016 base models, active exhaust was included with the manual. If you haven't already, drive base and S models. Many have said that the base suspension set up, regardless of the fact that it is not adjustable, has such a nice firmness/comfort trade-off that they don't miss that feature on the S.
I totally agree with your comments. Mine is a base model 2018 with auto. and active exhaust (which I modified to open at all times because it wasn't switchable) and I find the ride and handling characteristics unbelievably well balanced. I doubt seriously that I would take advantage of an adjustable suspension any more than I change the seating/mirror positions on a regular basis. To each his/her own, of course, and maybe it has to do with tracking the car which I will probably never do although I may take it to a drag strip just for giggles some day.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 02:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Totally happy with the set up on my Base too and I am a world class fiddler when it comes to 'Settings' on things, so maybe I would like the option to play around with the suspension but who am I kidding, would I even know how to do it in the first place and would I make it 'Better', would probably just have me off in a hedge somewhere, not that there are many of those here though!!

I think I would fancy the active exhaust though, but not enough to stump up for the 'S' just for that reason, especially in a place where my neighbours are driving Huracan's, Aventador's, 458/488's, Rollers and almost every Merc (even the SUV's) is an AMG of some kind or another, what's the point, I am a minnow around these parts...

Old 09-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Don’t underestimate the sound of the active exhaust. In both V6 and V8 variants the F-Type can hold its own against exotics. Last week I rode in a McLaren MP4-12c and I thought the F-Type sounded better.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by shappy
Aside from the obvious power differences, and the fact that the 380 hp has the limited slip differential, what other performance differences are there between these two models? Does the 380 hp version have a better suspension or larger brakes?

Thanks.
MY OBSERVATIONS. MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION... I was a bit forceful about the below in another thread, and mini-offended a dude, and I don't want to do that. I bought a custom base model, as I came from a 100hp '95 Wrangler (still BRG and tan top tho), and figure 380hp would kill me, and I could kill myself with 340hp. I ended up with a loaner for a long time while my "lemon" was being fixed. In process of buyback from JagHQ, and getting base model 2019MY, identical build to my 2016MY.

So.... differences?

A) Apparently, the "S" extra 40hp is only accessed at over approximately 4500 RPM. You can hit it, but not that common if you aren't tracking/dragging the car, or having insane fun transitioning from city street to highway?

B) Biggest difference? The 380hp has this desperate and needy sound, vs a more elegant exhaust note on the 340hp. The 380hp is more of a muscle car, and it sounds like someone blowing bubbles in mud. Just hated the sound. My loaner removed any ambivalence of whether I needed the base vs extra 40hp and LSD. I cannot recommend vigorously enough... ask for test drives on both. They are different cars, significantly. One is this really classy, GT sound (base), and one is just like some kid making lawnmower sounds. Can anyone else confirm this experience, who have had time in both. I don't want to sound insane. =) Or maybe I DO. The base model is the most appropriate successor to the E-Type, and it's the true GT of the entire line of F-Types. It's more elegant, and screams "Look[Listen to] at me" less than the other variations.

C) Not sure if it was simply the 40 extra hp, or the limited slip differential, but I lost my back end and chirped the tires WAY more on the AT. I can't imagine it being power related, and it could be the P-Zeros vs my PS4.... but wild.

D) re AT vs MT:
I hate automatics, but this was the first time in my life I've driven one at length. Only AT I have ever driven were rental cars on work trips, and no more than 2 or 3 days, really. I didn't drag the car, nor do I drag, but off the lines (especially when no one is around), it's no joke how brilliantly these modern transmissions link up, and shift. The smooth transitions were fantastic,& 0-75 is really exhilarating vs antiquated shifting. I've heard ludicrous mode on a Tesla is like feeling your heart hit your spine while going into hyperspace on a spaceship, and I can't even imagine what that is like. Tesla loans testers for 24 hour periods where I am, and after experiencing how a modern AT links up off the line, I think I may need to try it.

Pretty fun, but would never give up my MT. It is so freaking boring to drive. The AT volume button on the console is in a better location, however. I LOVE the trigger on the joystick of the AT, as well. What a fun treat to pretend oil slick and smoke screen are engaged.

The drawback on the manual is that the cup holders require perfect cups to not interfere with shifting. Also, on long road trips, don't expect your beautiful passenger to get to share the arm rest that much. I imagine AT people have the option of romance in holding hands and what not, while we aggressively link up gear after gear in our MT LOL

E) re: custom build vs base lot models w/ limited to no options....
It's amazing the sheer amount permutations of options that make these cars so different, and make your car truly "yours". Yes I was in a 380hp, but everything about the car was wrong, with options. I didn't even know some of the stuff that I chose was so great. This didn't have dual climate, nor did it have a backup camera or any of the vision/safety stuff. What's more, the loaner didn't have a storage area by my right shoulder (the vertical one towards the back, not the elbow rest).

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 09-27-2018 at 11:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
fujicoupe (09-27-2018), Jim F (09-27-2018), speedski (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
May depend on the year. V6S has adjustable dampers, which I think helps on bad pavement. Also has active exhaust, which may be an option for the base. 19” wheels and bigger front brakes, which are also options. More power, though you can get a reasonably priced tune to bump the base up to 400ish HP, should that be of interest. In MY14, the base didn’t have Dynamic mode, but it does in later years (not sure when that started.)
Active Exhaust is an option on base builds. It was in 2016, seems to still be an option 2019MY

Old 09-27-2018, 12:15 PM

I can attest that the tune changes the sound of the exhaust significantly, especially from the inside. I was actually expecting a bigger change of sound from the inside after I replaced the base exhaust. However I was surprised the difference in the exhaust sound between the stock and VAP tune. The tune sound significantly louder and deeper doing a cold start. Definitely drive both to see what you prefer.

I have not driven the manual but I can say that the automatic does have a short first gear. Even with the base tune the car is struggling for traction in first gear and can chirp the tires on the shift from first to second. I suspect that the gearing of the automatic and the fact it has 8 gears instead of six makes it much easier to loose traction in lower gears.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Uncle Fishbits;1967827]MY OBSERVATIONS. MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION... I was a bit forceful about the below in another thread, and mini-offended a dude...

Mini-offended! This post will have several forum members screaming in pain from your stepping on their toes.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:51 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Uncle Fishbits;1967830]Active Exhaust is an option on base builds. It was in 2016, seems to still be an option 2019MY

The operative word is "switchable". That means that there is a physical switch on the console to enable/disable the Active Exhaust. My 2018 base model has Active Exhaust, but it is not switchable. That's why I had to jury rig them to stay open all the time.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:00 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I LOVE the trigger on the joystick of the AT, as well. What a fun treat to pretend oil slick and smoke screen are engaged.
As some kind of MT / AT compromise - except for the F, I only owned one other AT car (because not offered as MT) -, I often drive in sport mode,
and push / pull the shifter, instead of using the steering wheel shifters (which I actually used only once so far...).

Old 09-27-2018, 02:51 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by KVO
I often drive in sport mode,
and push / pull the shifter, instead of using the steering wheel shifters (which I actually used only once so far...).
Yeah, it's cool to have the choice of shifter or paddles.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Yeah, it's cool to have the choice of shifter or paddles.
Lets not let this discussion spiral into an argument of manual vs automatic. I personally think that the ZF automatic is a great match for the F Type being smooth when you want and producing quick shifts in manual mode. It also is faster and more fuel efficient. That being said no automatic, no matter how good it is, can match the engagement of a manual. As good as the paddles are and they are damn good, they can’t match the satisfaction of a perfect heal and toe downshift.

It all comes down to personal preference. To those who prioritize engagement manual is still the only way to go but automatics have come a long way and you don’t give up as much as you used to. For me, there is no wrong way to spec the F Type and kudos to Jaguar for offering a manual in addition to the excellent automatic.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:13 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by speedski
Lets not let this discussion spiral into an argument of manual vs automatic.
I wasn't aware anyone was arguing, just expressing personal preferences. I didn't get a choice of a manual as the V8 only comes as an auto, and I love mine, it seems to shift just when I think it ought to - it's a mind-reader!

Old 09-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by scm
I wasn't aware anyone was arguing, just expressing personal preferences. I didn't get a choice of a manual as the V8 only comes as an auto, and I love mine, it seems to shift just when I think it ought to - it's a mind-reader!
I didn’t mean to suggest that you did. However, the auto vs manual debate is heated and I did not want the thread to go down that path. Either way, manual or automatic, in the F Type you win. I have the automatic and like you can attest how great it is.

Last edited by speedski; 09-27-2018 at 03:23 PM.
scm (09-27-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by speedski

I didn’t mean to suggest that you did. However, the auto vs manual debate is heated and I did not want the thread to go down that path. Either way, manual or automatic, in the F Type you win. I have the automatic and like you can attest how great it is.
We all win. As the die-hard manual guy who almost started that conversation in this thread, I still I'm amazed by the smooth transitions, and how fluid it is. We all win, for sure.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:05 PM

Huge kudos to Jag for offering a manual. So many manufactures don’t, especially those that offer good automatics. And even Porsche sells far more PDK Porsche’s than manual. I can honestly say that the automatic in the F Type is the first automatic that does not remind me that I should have gotten a manual when I drive it aggressively, however, there are times I still do miss rowing my own gears.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:24 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, no need to go down the auto vs manual path. People always take it so personally. I will say though that the automatic in this car is the best I’ve ever experienced....by far. The Porsche PDK has nothing on this.

scm (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Gillespie
Yes, no need to go down the auto vs manual path. People always take it so personally. I will say though that the automatic in this car is the best I’ve ever experienced....by far. The Porsche PDK has nothing on this.
Of any of the forums in which I have participated, this one has been the most civil regarding the AT/MT debate. The quality of the ZF 8HP has made the discussion nothing more than a conversation of personal preference and driving style.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
scm (09-29-2018), speedski (09-29-2018)

Quick Reply: Please help me understand the difference between the 340 and 380 hp V6 models