F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Support Vmax, from a customer

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Please Support Vmax, from a customer

Despite the unfortunate events that have occurred in the now defunct thread, I encourage forum members to give Bill and Vmax a chance. The Jaguar community needs more to come to the table and attempt to push performance for those that are seeking more, like myself.

Honestly, I was quite shaken by everything that unfolded over the last couple of days and I had doubts for a time, but taking everything at face value, I believe that Bill has good intentions and has made a good effort to make things right.

I will continue to run my Vmax tune and post both honest opinions and data as they come. Any tuner that says they have the "Perfect" tune is misguided, because there is always more that can be done. Vmax has never stated that there are no flaws and I believe that the tuning will continue to evolve.

The F-Type tuning saga is really just beginning, so enjoy the ride.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I agree. I've asked Bill many questions both publicly and privately, and he's always been extremely responsive. He's certainly demonstrated some very good results and deserves serious consideration. I'm pulling for him to be very successful.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree. No business, let alone process, is without hiccups and bumpy roads. I enjoy driving my tuned R.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

+1 to all of the above. VMax transformed my V6S into what it should have been from the start with output almost half way between a base model and a V8 (not just marginally better than the base model).

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-17-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:53 AM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I would recommend the following for the improvement of their service. Communication is of the utmost importance. Hire an answering service if your employees can’t /don’t answer the phone. If a delivery date is not going to be met,contact the customer as soon as possible. There’s nothing more infuriating than repeatedly asking for status. A working website that shows everyone who you are, your employees, back ground experience, photos of your facility, and capabilities. They need to look into more than 1 laptop for tuning. It will take a long time to earn my trust after what happened.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

For the uninitiated, what kind of performance gains does vMax's tune advertise?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
For the uninitiated, what kind of performance gains does vMax's tune advertise?
None advertised, but see the results below on my V6S. In the spirit of full disclosure my car does have a diminimus increase (2.5%) in upper pulley size. The results claimed in my sig block assume a 15% drive train loss. The chart, shows the last two iterations of the tune. Despite similar peaks, you can see the final tune to be far superior. You can't rely on peak claims for a good tune.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
None advertised, but see the results below on my V6S. In the spirit of full disclosure my car does have a diminimus increase (2.5%) in upper pulley size. The results claimed in my sig block assume a 15% drive train loss. The chart, shows the last two iterations of the tune. Despite similar peaks, you can see the final tune to be far superior. You can't rely on peak claims for a good tune.
100% true. The power curve smoothness and area under the torque curve have been greatly improved. Also the high end AFR looks much more reasonable than the 10.8:1 seen with the stock tune. The V8R also suffers from excessive richness in spots on the OEM file.

Peak power numbers matter very little compared to improvements throughout the range IMO.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, the lame part of the whole debacle thread is that 2/3 problems were unrealistic expectations and decisions made by the customer himself. I was the "From San Jose" referenced, and handed it off to Fedex around 8:45 the night before it shipped out, the 9th. So, 10th it leaves CA, arrives on the 11th... IT WAS LATE!

Perhaps it was mis-communicated, perhaps not. But even to clear the air on Fedex, props to them for getting it there in 1 day, as they promised.

As to the car, it's a good deal faster. Sounds awesome and someone who hadn't even been in the car in months noticed it was louder.
I'm still feeling it out, but I think I'm disappointed in 3rd gear. However, that's Jaguar's fault.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
Well, the lame part of the whole debacle thread is that 2/3 problems were unrealistic expectations and decisions made by the customer himself. I was the "From San Jose" referenced, and handed it off to Fedex around 8:45 the night before it shipped out, the 9th. So, 10th it leaves CA, arrives on the 11th... IT WAS LATE!

Perhaps it was mis-communicated, perhaps not. But even to clear the air on Fedex, props to them for getting it there in 1 day, as they promised.

As to the car, it's a good deal faster. Sounds awesome and someone who hadn't even been in the car in months noticed it was louder.
I'm still feeling it out, but I think I'm disappointed in 3rd gear. However, that's Jaguar's fault.
Magnum, thanks. Can you explain what you are feeling in 3rd? Perhaps a bit of a power bog after the shift from 2nd? Or are you noticing a bit of hesitation when you go WOT starting in 3rd at say 3000 rpm?

Old 02-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Bad gearing.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

The only Vmax thread I was in seems like a happy place. Could someone inform me please or link thread?

Old 02-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 02-20-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Please run from him and read this do not support a guy like this

Old 02-21-2016, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jaronstoys
Please run from him and read this do not support a guy like this
Well, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed to read what has come to light today. I really hoped that the truth would come out to affirm my hope that the recent events were all misunderstandings. Unfortunately, I'm now at a loss along others that have paid for tuning that now isn't supported. All I want now is to return to the stock file and figure it out from there. Live and learn I guess.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Indeed sad to hear about Vmax, but it’s not that there are no other tuners around.

There is at least one I know from personal experience that has extensive tuning knowledge and that is Rica. Although they are more known from the Volvo community, it is there that the connection with Jaguar came as also Volvo used the difficult denso chips. Rica is the only one I know that can even tune the older 4.2/4.0 cars.

They are as far as I know also one of the 1st to get rid of all the torque limiters in the 5.0 denso ecu's, not just the known ones when you compared the stock files form Jaguar different versions....

Obviously they have also the knowledge of the new Bosch chips as well that the later jags use; they offer for these cars a personal tuning device even, so you can switch pre-programmed tunes yourself.

I normally don’t plug so shamelessly a company, but considering what happened with Vmax I wanted at least to inform others that there are reputable tuners around, and Rica is one I know very well and can vouch for them. And no, I have no affiliation with them!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 171 Posts

From all the info provided as well as a little more internet research my opinion is below. (And it is only my opinion.)

It appears that "VMax" is basically one Andrew Cluck.
It appears he does not do any tuning at all, and acts only as a middle-man, marking up and reselling other companies/peoples products and work.
This Andrew Cluck has been doing this for quite a few years with various makes and models of cars.
Apparently along the way many customers/consumers have been cheated/burned by this Andrew Cluck.
Andrew Cluck has a terrible record and reputation in the aftermarket car business.

Personally I would not recommend any dealing with "VMax"/Andrew Cluck.
I also encourage member Jaron to pursue via all remedies available a full reimbursement for his case. And anyone else who has not rec'd full value for what they have purchased.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagRag:
Jaronstoys (02-21-2016), mshedden (02-21-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 02:50 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I also have not heard back from "Bill" a while. With his lack of activity and responses, I think my stock file as well as any support for the tune is gone.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:07 AM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow, this is so wild and sad to hear. I was an early adopter and didn't know the original guy (JamesJaguar) or vMax from the next guy. Reputation on other forums and various aka's aside - I have numerous logged highway pulls that confirm the car is substantially faster.

Would be nice to have some input from whoever actually runs vMax.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Philly Single
Wow, this is so wild and sad to hear. I was an early adopter and didn't know the original guy (JamesJaguar) or vMax from the next guy. Reputation on other forums and various aka's aside - I have numerous logged highway pulls that confirm the car is substantially faster.

Would be nice to have some input from whoever actually runs vMax.
It is indeed unfortunate. It sheds additional suspicion on all tuners.

Close to 1000 miles on my tune and no issues yet.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-22-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Please Support Vmax, from a customer