Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plenty o' Boot Space

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts
Default Plenty o' Boot Space

Headed out for a ride and a long weekend on the Eastern Shore in the Coupe. My better half understandably a bit concerned about trunk space. Easily fit two max sized carry-on bags, a case of Pellegrino, 4 bottles of single malt, a dozen of Castro's finest and a coffee grinder. (The latter, I have no clue why, but over the last 40 years, I've learned not to ask.) Throw a couple of jackets on top, and the security panel still fits where it belongs. The perfect car! (BTW, she's learned not to ask about the Scotch. The perfect gal!)

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-22-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Just came back from 5 day trip to Cape Cod and the trunk held three carry on size duffle bags, a back pack, computer bag, a Cpap machine, a tote bag and umbrella. Agree perfect but I have another reason for thinking so. .......no room for shopping bags for the return! :

The car is saving me money already

The following users liked this post:
4Holer (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I ordered the spare tire, it eats up lots of space.
Without the coupe rear cover we had no problem packing for a 6-day road trip to Canada.
And no room for shopping is a plus!
I'd love to leave the spare at home (I ordered the inflator and sealer package too) but I know the moment I do....

Old 10-22-2015, 10:52 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
I ordered the spare tire, it eats up lots of space.
Without the coupe rear cover we had no problem packing for a 6-day road trip to Canada.
And no room for shopping is a plus!
I'd love to leave the spare at home (I ordered the inflator and sealer package too) but I know the moment I do....
I have a vert so my problem is more acute, but the thing that finally persuaded me to,leave the spare at home was the ralisiation that with a passenger even if I could change the wheel I would have to leave the full size wheel by the road because there would be nowhere to put it.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Headed out for a ride and a long weekend on the Eastern Shore in the Coupe. My better half understandably a bit concerned about trunk space. Easily fit two max sized carry-on bags, a case of Pellegrino, 4 bottles of single malt, a dozen of Castro's finest and a coffee grinder. (The latter, I have no clue why, but over the last 40 years, I've learned not to ask.) Throw a couple of jackets on top, and the security panel still fits where it belongs. The perfect car! (BTW, she's learned not to ask about the Scotch. The perfect gal!)
I agree completely that the coupe, especially, has plenty of room for all sorts of things, including carting around wife's two huge legal suitcases plus a bag or two of my crap in addition to miscellaneous stuff but...

Let me get this straight oh unhinged one: you're going on a long weekend with the (agreed, much) better half who has learned not to ask about the Scotch, which presumes you're the only one drinking it? 4 bottles of Scotch for one guy? Really? I'm not only not a smoker but loath cigar smoke but are you really gonna smoke 12 cigars over the long weekend? I love Pellegrino but doubt I'd be bringing a case with me on any trip. The only thing I can relate to in your post is the damn coffee grinder! That I get. That and the better half part.

And to those amusingly suggesting that the F-Type is saving you money because you've run out of trunk/boot space? Nice try but no dice. There are plenty of ways around that - including something called FedEx - including drinking and smoking your way to making more room. If your name is Lance, a.k.a Mr. Unhinged. Or, as he sometimes prefers, Captain Obvious. Or perhaps a new moniker like F-Type Fidel.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-23-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:34 AM

4-different bottles of single malts I assumed! As one likes to progress from a Macallan 25 to a Speyside or Lowlands malt and maybe finish with an Islay. Isn't that what we're all supposed to be drinking?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xmc...Z4jM15DAttp://

Regarding the stowage of my spare tire someone on the forum gave me a suggestion: I carry a pair of light cotton work gloves and a box cutter rolled up in a large heavy-duty garbage bag, stowed in the sub-trunk below the floor. If need be, I can cut the offending tire off the rim and put the rim in the plastic bag for easier storage in the back or in the passenger area.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Spare tire portage.

Good thought, or how about carrying set of 2 of those car-top rails (like ski rack) with suction cups in the boot. They don't take much space. When a flat, you install them, pull the tire and rim, and tie it down up top until you get to town on your emergency spare.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Regarding the stowage of my spare tire someone on the forum gave me a suggestion: I carry a pair of light cotton work gloves and a box cutter rolled up in a large heavy-duty garbage bag, stowed in the sub-trunk below the floor. If need be, I can cut the offending tire off the rim and put the rim in the plastic bag for easier storage in the back or in the passenger area.

While I realize you're joking, have you ever TRIED to cut a tire off a rim? It's a real bitch! (I was far younger, had a completely ruined wheel / tire that was going to be taken to the recycler which only took the rim and not the tire. I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to separate the two... HA did I have a learning experience!

Old 10-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I agree completely that the coupe, especially, has plenty of room for all sorts of things, including carting around wife's two huge legal suitcases plus a bag or two of my crap in addition to miscellaneous stuff but...

Let me get this straight oh unhinged one: you're going on a long weekend with the (agreed, much) better half who has learned not to ask about the Scotch, which presumes you're the only one drinking it? 4 bottles of Scotch for one guy? Really? I'm not only not a smoker but loath cigar smoke but are you really gonna smoke 12 cigars over the long weekend? I love Pellegrino but doubt I'd be bringing a case with me on any trip. The only thing I can relate to in your post is the damn coffee grinder! That I get. That and the better half part.

And to those amusingly suggesting that the F-Type is saving you money because you've run out of trunk/boot space? Nice try but no dice. There are plenty of ways around that - including something called FedEx - including drinking and smoking your way to making more room. If your name is Lance, a.k.a Mr. Unhinged. Or, as he sometimes prefers, Captain Obvious. Or perhaps a new moniker like F-Type Fidel.
Jay,
Points of clarification:
1. TR64ever knows how to enjoy scotch.
2. I have friends on the Eastern Shore.

F-idel

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-23-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by TXJagR
While I realize you're joking, have you ever TRIED to cut a tire off a rim? It's a real bitch!
Nope, I'm serious, based on previous forum postings I've put the box cutter and gloves in the bag.... I hate low-profile tires; although the problems I've had with them have been New York winter pavement related issues.

What do you think? Should I leave the spare at home???

BTW: I was in Cuba 2 years ago, came back through Miami with 2 bottles of 15 year-old Havana Club rum and lots of smokes in my luggage. The customs guy in Miami said "Cigars??" and I said "I was ON FIRE for the five-days we were there, I smoked them morning, noon and night." The customs guy crossed his arms, looked at the ceiling and said "get out of here..."

Old 10-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Nope, I'm serious, based on previous forum postings I've put the box cutter and gloves in the bag.... I hate low-profile tires; although the problems I've had with them have been New York winter pavement related issues.

What do you think? Should I leave the spare at home???

You will NEVER cut a tire off the rim with a box cutter... and if you're trying to cut the tire into pieces, remember they have steel belts...

Old 10-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52

I managed to keep her busy and away from the shipping stores!

Old 10-23-2015, 09:50 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

This thread is useless without pictures.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Boot space.

I managed to get all this stuff in the boot of the coupe after removing the cover, and there was still room for smaller items like shoes, etc. But no spare tire.

Attached Thumbnails Plenty o' Boot Space-jaguar-f-type-test-drive.-2016-05-11-001.jpg