Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: Name your three favorite current cars other than F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016 | 02:21 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I like way too many cars to come up with a list of my top three but I will say that the 488 and AM are definitely in my top 50....the I8 doesn't do as much for me and it looks a little garish to me....like something out of TRON.

Maybe an R8? ....really depends on the price point. Heck I even like the BMW M4...

Dave
Funny, I had the same vibe at first about the i8 until I deeply considered buying one at the same time I just bought the F-T R coupe. There was one for sale off lease for $90K with 19K miles on it in a city 70 miles away. I had only seen one from afar on the freeway while driving.

I took it upon myself to drop by my local BMW dealership to investigate a bit further. They had finally removed the "velvet rope" from around the i8, but still too shitty to let anyone test drive one (Are you listening Weatherford BMW?, the worst dealership known to man!) but in their gracious holiness, allowed me to sit in it.

I spent about an hour absorbing the car and I must admit, it moved me quite a bit, much in the same way the F-T R does if not more. If someone today asked me to trade cars and had me add say $10K, I would pull the trigger without thinking.

I would suggest getting to know the car on a more personal basis and see if it would grow on you. In person the car had a panache and sexiness thats bone chilling. I also like the hybrid design and the ease on entry and existing is better than you may imagine.

The prices on the car are creeping down due to slow demand so in the next few years deals may be had as more cars are coming off lease.

At the very last minute, I opted for the '15 F-T R coupe because I found one in my color of choice for $71k w/ higher (10k) mi., shipped. A deal too good to pass up. These are going for $80K in the Bay Area and very hard to find used. So if I decide to sell her in a few years, I bet i'd be close to break even!

A no brainer.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-24-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2016 | 02:22 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

The OP specified 'current' cars. I have the only one I want.

Uncurrent car: XK140

Old 05-24-2016 | 02:30 PM

My three under $200K:
AMG GTS
AUDI R8
MASERATI GRAN TURISMO

Money no object:
ASTON MARTIN ONE-77
ROLLS ROYCE WRAITH
LA FERRARI

Old 05-24-2016 | 02:34 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default yea the responses are a bit OT, perhaps I should have been clearer

Originally Posted by DJS
The OP specified 'current' cars. I have the only one I want.

Uncurrent car: XK140
Maybe I should have asked what cars were considered along with the F-T before pulling the trigger....

911?
MB AMG-GT
R8?
Vantage?
GT-R?
FC-R?
Hellcat?
Tesla S?
Maserati GT?

Some great cars in the same ballpark would have been a better question that making $300K exotic that most wouldn't consider buying.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-24-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2016 | 02:48 PM
Old 05-24-2016 | 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Maybe I should have asked what cars were considered along with the F-T before pulling the trigger....

911?
MB AMG-GT
R8?
Vantage?
GT-R?
FC-R?
Hellcat?
Tesla S?
Maserati GT?

Some great cars in the same ballpark would have been a better question that making $300K exotic that most wouldn't consider buying.
Good question;
The 911 was too much $$$ (or I needed to look at ones that were too old at my preferred price point) Same goes for the AMG-GT.
I didn't like the look of the R8 in a roadster and I only wanted a roadster
I did like the AM's but again, much more expensive than an F type and a bit dated
No interest in a Nissan regardless of how quick it is....plus no roadster
Hellcat? looks like every other Challenger out there, don't like the styling compared to the early E type Chally and no 'vert.
Tesla; no electric cars for me....just don't do anything for me.
Maserati; felt pretty much the same way as I did about the AM but I don't like the looks as much.

I looked at the Boxster S but wanted more power and felt that the F type offered way more for the $$.....though I'm sure the Porsche is an excellent car

I also considered a BMW M4 Cabriolet but didn't like the 500lb weight penalty over the coupe and also felt they were overpriced for a hotrodded sedan.

I looked briefly at the Z4 (too small and I wanted more power). Same with the SLK55 AMG which I also thought was getting a bit long in the tooth.

The new Viper and 'vette got a passing glance but I wanted a bit more upscale tourer and less track brawler.

At the end of the day, I thought the F-type was fresh and a relative bargain compared to what else was available.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-24-2016 | 03:55 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Good question;
The 911 was too much $$$ (or I needed to look at ones that were too old at my preferred price point) Same goes for the AMG-GT.
I didn't like the look of the R8 in a roadster and I only wanted a roadster
I did like the AM's but again, much more expensive than an F type and a bit dated
No interest in a Nissan regardless of how quick it is....plus no roadster
Hellcat? looks like every other Challenger out there, don't like the styling compared to the early E type Chally and no 'vert.
Tesla; no electric cars for me....just don't do anything for me.
Maserati; felt pretty much the same way as I did about the AM but I don't like the looks as much.

I looked at the Boxster S but wanted more power and felt that the F type offered way more for the $$.....though I'm sure the Porsche is an excellent car

I also considered a BMW M4 Cabriolet but didn't like the 500lb weight penalty over the coupe and also felt they were overpriced for a hotrodded sedan.

I looked briefly at the Z4 (too small and I wanted more power). Same with the SLK55 AMG which I also thought was getting a bit long in the tooth.

The new Viper and 'vette got a passing glance but I wanted a bit more upscale tourer and less track brawler.

At the end of the day, I thought the F-type was fresh and a relative bargain compared to what else was available.

Cheers,
Dave
Well stated. I'm feeling good about my decision.

Old 05-24-2016 | 04:10 PM

Under $200k

1. Maserati Grand Turismo
2. Mercedes AMG GTS
3. Audi R8

Old 05-24-2016 | 05:57 PM

1. 991 GT3 (we all know the RS is > limit)
2. R8
3. used McLaren

Old 05-24-2016 | 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

Merc AMG GTS, McLaren 570GT, Ferrari 488 Spider. Would wait for drop top on first 2!

Old 05-24-2016 | 07:36 PM

My Lotus Evora S is a proper British Sports car with a MORE proper suspension than anything Jaguar has ever had in their sports cars. Jaguar suspension do best in their luxury sedans IMHO. My Elise was a true sports car.period. Finally I truly loved our 2004 XJ VDP.

Did someone say Aston????

Old 05-24-2016 | 08:49 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ddsski
My Lotus Evora S is a proper British Sports car with a MORE proper suspension than anything Jaguar has ever had in their sports cars. Jaguar suspension do best in their luxury sedans IMHO. My Elise was a true sports car.period. Finally I truly loved our 2004 XJ VDP.

Did someone say Aston????
It stands to reason that Aston has come up so many times.

Old 05-24-2016 | 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
LOL

Your first choice is $250k. Your second is $290k.

Since rules are out the window I'll take the F12. Park it out front and just leave the key in the cup holder for me.

Wait...does the F12 have a cup holder?
The cup holder is optional:

Amazon.com: Custom Accessories 92200 Black Large Cup Holder, (Twin Pack): Automotive Amazon.com: Custom Accessories 92200 Black Large Cup Holder, (Twin Pack): Automotive

Old 05-24-2016 | 09:27 PM

Wow Good question.. Hmm This would be probably be my order..

Less than $200,000
1. McLaren 570S
2. Audi R8
3. New Acura NSX

No cap
1. Bugatti Veyron 16.4
2. Ferarri LaFerrari
3. Koenigsegg Agera RS
4. Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 Supervolce Roadster

Last edited by Smoke Em; 05-24-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2016 | 09:43 PM

Gen V Viper (canceled my order for one then ordered the F-Type)
'Vette Z06
911 GT3

Old 05-25-2016 | 03:02 AM

at end of the day the car I buy has to be practical, I dont mean has a big enough boot, but one I can happily leave in the supermarket car park (when Im forced to go shopping)

so my choice

Range Rover sport s/c
E Type coupe
XE sport (wifes choice)

If I didnt have to go shopping and just drove and never left it unattended

Bugatti Type 35B
Rolls-Royce Wraith
Bugatti Veyron

Old 05-25-2016 | 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronniet

If I didnt have to go shopping and just drove and never left it unattended

Bugatti Type 35B
Rolls-Royce Wraith
Bugatti Veyron
If any of those are available for <$200k, I could be convinced.

Old 05-25-2016 | 06:56 AM
Default aaah

thought the $200k was a downpayment

actually the first ones Ive listed are all under $200k

Old 05-25-2016 | 11:20 AM

I'm surprised no one else has chosen the Shelby GT350. Most amazing engine, 500+ HP NA flat plane crank 8200 rpm engine. I have seen and heard a few on the street, and the sound is something amazing. No YouTube video can do justice. And it even comes in a manual.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (09-08-2016)
Old 05-25-2016 | 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
I'm surprised no one else has chosen the Shelby GT350. Most amazing engine, 500+ HP NA flat plane crank 8200 rpm engine. I have seen and heard a few on the street, and the sound is something amazing. No YouTube video can do justice. And it even comes in a manual.
+1. I'm interested in it, and it's only available as a manual. It has commanded rave reviews everywhere, and is a serious track machine. Extremely well-equipped, it's about the cost of a stripped, base F-Type.

Of course, if snob appeal, compliments from strangers, and rarity floats your boat, it's not your car because the uninformed will just see another Mustang. However, in actuality it will be a relatively rare car.

The only downside I've read so far pertains to street use. You have to get to 7K rpm to really start seeing the big power.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-25-2016 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (09-08-2016)

Quick Reply: Poll: Name your three favorite current cars other than F-Type