Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: Name your three favorite current cars other than F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
I'm surprised no one else has chosen the Shelby GT350. Most amazing engine, 500+ HP NA flat plane crank 8200 rpm engine. I have seen and heard a few on the street, and the sound is something amazing. No YouTube video can do justice. And it even comes in a manual.
Probably because of the way I framed the question. I think people are thinking in terms of design beauty. I wanted to know of the other cars available that one could just stare at for an hour. Not sure if any current Mustang would give me an hard on, although it may be a beast. I read somewhere that the GT350 is set to be a sure collectors item and if you simply bought one and put it in a time capsule, your grandkids could be set for life after auctioning it off. Which brings up a good point i'll ask in a new post.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
+1. I'm interested in it, and it's only available in a manual. It has commanded rave reviews everywhere, and is a serious track machine. Extremely well-equipped, it's about the cost of a stripped, base F-Type.

Of course, if snob appeal, compliments from strangers, and rarity floats your boat, it's not your car because the uninformed will just see another Mustang. However, in actuality it will be a relatively rare car.

The only downside I've read so far pertains to street use. You have to get to 7K rpm to really start seeing the big power.
There are a couple in the neighborhood and the sound is just indescribable. Its this wail that can be heard for blocks away.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, a flat plane crank produces a sound like no other. The first time you hear it in full glory, it is a "WTF was that" experience.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm surprised no one else has chosen the Shelby GT350. Most amazing engine, 500+ HP NA flat plane crank 8200 rpm engine. I have seen and heard a few on the street, and the sound is something amazing. No YouTube video can do justice. And it even comes in a manual.
It's a nice car, but I'm not wasting money on it. What I mean by that is, when I was at the Ford dealership 2 weeks ago with my wife regarding service on her Ford Edge they had one on the show room floor. They have the MSRP then a market adjustment of $25,000 so the dealership wants $25,000 to sell you the car at MSRP. That's ridiculous and I'm not doing it so everyone else can enjoy that. I'm out because of that reason.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
It's a nice car, but I'm not wasting money on it. What I mean by that is, when I was at the Ford dealership 2 weeks ago with my wife regarding service on her Ford Edge they had one on the show room floor. They have the MSRP then a market adjustment of $25,000 so the dealership wants $25,000 to sell you the car at MSRP. That's ridiculous and I'm not doing it so everyone else can enjoy that. I'm out because of that reason.
Yes that is unfortunate, but the stores are private, they can do what ever they want price wise. I have not been to any Ford stores to look at the car, but I hear there are dealers who will sell for MSRP. I am with you, I would not pay over MSRP for any car, in fact would expect a deal. Ford could end that at any time, by building a car for anyone who wants one, but as long as they limit production of these type vehicles, over MSRP will not end. I don't know if it's true but I have heard that manufacturers of most exotics frown upon this practice and will refuse to sell cars to dealers caught doing this.

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 05-25-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I have not been to any Ford stores to look at the car, but I hear there are dealers who will sell for MSRP.
When I bought my '84 C4, most of the Vette dealers across the country were selling a $32k msrp car for as much as $5k over. Ordering mine in March in Northwest Indiana when the steelmills were shutting down I got it for $3k under. Time and place determines the pricing on cars in high demand vs low supply situations. Coincidentally, I had to wait 7 months for that delivery for the MT to become available, just like the F-Type.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

According to cars.com, there are a number available in the DMV (District/Maryland/Virginia) area in the mid-65K range, but I can't tell if they are marked up any over MSRP without knowing how they are equipped.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

1. Lambo Huracan
2. Ferrari 458
3. Maserati GT MC Sportline

Old 05-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

I like sports cars because of their design lines rather than performance (to each his own). That's why I bought the F-Type and not a porsche.

If the reviews and initial reliability turn out OK, I'm likely to switch to the Maserati Alfieri when it comes out.

The following users liked this post:
Smoke Em (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade
I like sports cars because of their design lines rather than performance (to each his own). That's why I bought the F-Type and not a porsche.

If the reviews and initial reliability turn out OK, I'm likely to switch to the Maserati Alfieri when it comes out.

Wow, haven't seen this...Now that is one sexy car!

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-27-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade

Wow, haven't seen this...Now that is one sexy car! schraderade I promise you I'll be right behind you. I'm in love again.

Jesus Christ...Look at this...

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 05-26-2016 at 10:47 PM.
schraderade (05-27-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

now that is a nice car. Can't wait to see that when it's available.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,419 Posts

First regarding the Alfieri which debuted at the L.A. car show 2 1/2 years ago, it was stunning in person, but clearly a concept car as all body panel seams were filled, rear end was all in one piece. Its production has already been pushed back at least one year, so don't count on it actually making it to market quite yet. And with what real production changes? The devil's in the details.

The post has wandered from what current sports cars under $200K would you want (other than the F-type) to what car in any era would you desire? I prefer older sports cars. Some of my choices I have purchased over the years and are still available at a tenth of the price limit. My favorite car as a high schooler and still at the top of my list is the 1968 GTO with hidden headlights and the Endura front bumper. You can find beautiful examples in the $15-25000 range. If price is not an object, how could anyone not want a Ferrari Daytona coupe? But if we stick to the $200K limit, there should be some gorgeous Series 1 XKE convertibles and coupes available within that range. I also love the 2006 Ford GT but would be hardpressed to find one under $200,000. I also still love my 1972 De Tomaso Pantera, if for looks alone. I don't care for the later wide bodied cars which looked more aggressive but destroyed Tom Tjaarda's original vision. But the predecessor to the Pantera, the Mangusta, has to be one of the most beautiful designs ever, so I wouldn't mind adding that to my collection. Finally, '63-'66 Corvettes with the big block engines are hard to beat.

Lastly, I think the Aston Vantage is one of the most beautiful automotive designs ever, but the Vanquish, DB9 don't do anything for me. In fact, I prefer the XKR (X150 and X100) and the F-type to the bigger Astons.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

The redesigned Mustang is not in the league of an f type for pure design beauty but unlike what Dodge and Chevy have done with their retro cars, Ford has a very well styled car. For the price and performance and overall looks I would not have a problem owning one.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I know you really can't tell on a YouTube video, but I didn't think the alfieri sounded any better to the F type R. Actually I like the Ftype better. Maybe the comparison in person would be different.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
The redesigned Mustang is not in the league of an f type for pure design beauty but unlike what Dodge and Chevy have done with their retro cars, Ford has a very well styled car. For the price and performance and overall looks I would not have a problem owning one.
Your right, it's not in the same class, no luxury with the GT350, but it is still a great car. And 20 years down the road, it will have the highest resale value. I've seen an Orange one, and wow it really looks good it that color.

Originally Posted by tberg
Lastly, I think the Aston Vantage is one of the most beautiful automotive designs ever, but the Vanquish, DB9 don't do anything for me. In fact, I prefer the XKR (X150 and X100) and the F-type to the bigger Astons.
The Vantage is a true masterpiece of design by Henrik Fisker. It's hard to impossible to improve on it.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Em
I don't blame you; I have a hard and fast rule about never, ever paying over MSRP for anything.....don't care what it is.

Dave

Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

maserati GT (would switch to alfieri if it ever comes out), audi R8, bmw i8

Old 05-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

If the F-Type hadn't finally come out with an MT, I would have settled on the GT350, even at the same price. However, I too would not have spent more than $2-3k over MSRP.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If the F-Type hadn't finally come out with an MT, I would have settled on the GT350, even at the same price. However, I too would not have spent more than $2-3k over MSRP.
You don't have to. There's one right around the corner from you listed at MSRP. I was thinking about taking a look at it.

There are probably 10 more within 200 miles at MSRP.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9944/overview/

Unhingd (05-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Poll: Name your three favorite current cars other than F-Type