THX SVO
36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Vanity/Personalized plate options

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
While I happen to know who Group 44 are, I am with Stohlen. Without F-type, Jaguar brand to me was a very unreliable car that you drive to a bingo games. In other words, a type of a car you want to pull up in if you intend to impress blue-haired ladies.
That's why unhinged got his!

Apologies. That was a floater just waiting to be hit. :-)

Old 08-31-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Crabmoney
I get your take on it. I prefer plates that are "invisible" in that you need to have some non-general-public information to get it. Explaining it would be part of the fun also, I think.

I'm 30, so I don't remember Group 44, but I love the story of Tullius and his American team racing British cars, and both the team and I are from Virginia, so there's that...

I'll probably just not get a plate though. Too indecisive for this sort of thing.
I get that too. I just like people to be able to think and figure it out. Maybe something like SVR645 for the HP. Not obvious, but a good talking point.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:12 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
And I wish you luck. (And suggest you go with YOUR gut.)
So Jay votes for YOURGUT as a license plate. If you were to see his photos of food, you'd understand why.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
So Jay votes for YOURGUT as a license plate. If you were to see his photos of food, you'd understand why.
Touché Dave! Fruitti di mare and Tagliatelle with Black Truffle.

Attached Thumbnails Poll: Vanity/Personalized plate options-img_1594.jpg   Poll: Vanity/Personalized plate options-img_1618.jpg  
Old 08-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

For Your Consideration:

Attached Thumbnails Poll: Vanity/Personalized plate options-image.jpeg  
Old 08-31-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
For Your Consideration:
I looked it up. Not available. Even with A55man and other configs. CA is good at catching stuff early. :-(

I wanted ckmnstr for mine but it was taken.

Kkmnstr was available but given the current climate I thought two Ks in a row could be misconstrued.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:30 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
HA!

HA^2! Young'uns won't get that one either... From a Seinfeld episode...

Old 09-01-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
Since I traded my 2012 Mini Cooper in on the F-Type, the dealer transferred my Mini tag to the Jag.
Almost transferred my MINI plate as well, but decided to skip the vanity plate on the F-Type...

Attached Thumbnails Poll: Vanity/Personalized plate options-img_9041.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were to get a vanity plate for my F-Type it would be Kit Kat

Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

27, 28, 30, are you kidding???? I've got socks older than that, and I don't even wear socks!!!
Actually, I am really just jealous like the rest of these old F*rts here. It's good that there is some young blood getting into the Marque who can some day harass the next generation buying the XK-G, H?
Remember, those who fail to remember history are doomed to relive it, or something like that. My mind seems to be forgetting a few more things these days........

Burt Gummer (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I don't believe a personalized plate is ever a good idea. Maybe if self depreciating or funny.

I had RUNVS many years ago and it earned me a nice key mark down the side.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
If so, it's not very effective. Only folks it seems to impress is y'all, and that's only because you have evidence it's true.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
I don't believe a personalized plate is ever a good idea. Maybe if self depreciating or funny.

I had RUNVS many years ago and it earned me a nice key mark down the side.
Man, I think about this daily. Prior to this car, I just thought vanity plates were for (edit: insert sort of mean word here, but I didn't mean it, so I edited it). Then I got it, that some "on the nose" jokes might be worth the wildly idiotic waste of money. So I promised myself I would be open to it for the perfect plate.

In August of 2015 - early 2016, I considered X152. But it's too inside baseball, and I bet 80% of F-Type owners wouldn't even know. It's like spending money on nothing, other than having people be able to immediately recognize your car. My BRG Tan vert is recognizable enough, so why would I make it worse?

I love the humor behind Il1lI1I
But it's illegal, and a bit smarmy.

I 100% joked with the self-deprecating humor of "YAGGGggg" and JJjjagggg" or any Clarkson related Top Gear joke, as an inside nod to any and all Top Gear fans. But that's even niche.

I am 100% open to a briliant, perfect plate.

I DJ, and most friends know me as Fishbits, so FSHBITS seemed fun.

But the one I *REALLY REALLY* thought was so funny, that no one would get, is a nod to manual transmission lovers. Especially here in the bay area:

"MNTRNNY"

But that might be misinterpreted. LOL

I am not against *OTHER* vanity plates. I LOVE THEM. I like figuring them out in traffic, working on the harder ones, laughing at the funny ones. I do like them. But I grew up thrifty, pay cash, don't spend money needlessly, and I seriously cannot find the jumping off point to do it.

I know some dude got X152 in CA, and I was thinking X 152, but I just can't get past the idea I would feel super dorky acting like an 8 year old playing at James Bond. I'm just a dude.

In the end I got a black plate in CA for the 50th anniversary of those plates that coincide with the 50th anniversary of the E-Type. It's an appropriate gesture and nod.

But man, it's going to take the perfect one for me to take the leap, but I have to say thank you to everyone else adventurous and fun enough to enjoy a few dollars of license plate fun. =) I'll get there! =) Just want to be clear this is my problem, and not judging any one else on the plates that bring them joy!

What if I got a plate that just said "SLFDRVN", and see if they think it's autonomous?

Anyhoo... it's just a "remember this car" beacon, and I don't know if I want that.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
It's good that there is some young blood getting into the Marque who can some day harass the next generation buying the XK-G, H?
Unfortunately after my experiences with Jaguar USA I don't plan on buying a new Jag in the future.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If so, it's not very effective. Only folks it seems to impress is y'all, and that's only because you have evidence it's true.
Lol.. My car is a total sausage magnet, so I feel you.

That said.. A few weeks ago I was in Santa Barbara where there is no shortage of nice cars. Ironically, that's the only time I've ever had a woman approach me with the car. Two very well put together ladies who were in their 60s asked me all about it and wanted to tell me how pretty she is. I think they "got" jags in general tho so I was only partially joking with you.

The jeep is another story. That thing is an unexpected chick magnet. I even have young girls try to pick up my boys (similar ages) when we're in it. Wierd.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:28 AM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Just a dumb idea I had. I'm not in an 8-letter state though, and I usually stick with generic.

DirtyAir (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

My missive back a few posts was a little passively harsh, and I own it. It's obviously *not* stupid if there's a whole culture around it, and I obsess about what could be the "one". And it's really only a few bucks more a month for the vanity plate. Maybe I just don't like that it's called a vanity plate. lol

Old 09-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
How you trying pulling up to a retirement home late at night and revving it up and making it crack and pop? They will be all over you.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I have a personalized plate, it is a) impossible to Google b) too obscure for anyone but crypto nerds to get.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 01xk8
Just a dumb idea I had. I'm not in an 8-letter state though, and I usually stick with generic.

That one is pretty clever. I like it.

Quick Reply: Poll: Vanity/Personalized plate options