Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 06:06 AM
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Popular Mechanics 2022 F-Type Review

This review appears to be spot on.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...0Non%20Openers

Old 12-03-2021, 09:37 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Have to be a popular mechanics member to read. Any wya to copy and paste the review? 😁

Old 12-03-2021, 11:42 AM

I am not a member and can read it using the link above. Can anyone else read it?

I am on their mailing list though and actually saw this in an email they sent me.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:45 AM

Bummer! This is what I see:

Old 12-03-2021, 12:09 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I can read it in the UK.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireze22
Have to be a popular mechanics member to read. Any wya to copy and paste the review? 😁
Same

Old 12-03-2021, 12:15 PM

Can anyone copy and paste? I'd love to read it.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:19 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Jaguar’s 2022 F-Type Is Only Available With V8 Power

Celebrating internal combustion before the British automaker goes fully electric in 2025.

By Matt Crisara
Dec 1, 2021
JESSICA LYNN WALKERThe Takeaway: Ahead of Jaguar’s comprehensive switch to electric power in 2025, the 2022 F-Type lineup will be exclusively available with supercharged V8 power. We’ve seen other automakers follow suit with a final celebration for piston power, but the British automaker has truly harnessed the shock and awe that the eight-cylinder powertrain has to offer.
  • The active exhaust system allowed the supercharged 5.0-liter V8 to sing its song during spirited drives or keep it hushed during a mellow cruise, all at the touch of a button.
  • The mild facelift carried over from the previous model year adds elegance while keeping the same aggressive stance.
  • Jaguar’s new active differential at the rear-axle, paired with brake-based torque vectoring, makes the latest F-Type drive as good as it looks.

Specs

• Base Price: $73,000 ($84,350 as tested)
  • Engine: Supercharged 5.0-liter V8
  • Horsepower: 444 hp
  • Torque: 414 ft-lbs (at 2,500 rpm)
  • Transmission: 8 speed automatic
  • Drivetrain: Rear-wheel drive
  • 0-60 time: 4.4 seconds
  • Top Speed: 177 mph

What’s In a Name

The Jaguar F-Type has been the British automaker’s flagship sports car ever since its introduction in 2013. Now for model year 2022, the F-Type is available exclusively with three different V8 powertrains. The first, starting at $71,300, arrives with a supercharged 5.0-liter V8 putting out 444 horsepower to the rear wheels. The second is the same engine configuration, just with all-wheel-drive. For another $31,000, you will be able to spring for the F-Type R, featuring an upgraded variant of the same supercharged V8 motor, which distributes 575 hp to all four wheels.

Jaguar recently invited me to Los Angeles to drive the latest F-Type P450 along the roads surrounding Malibu. Much like the F-Pace SVR drive, the route involved a leisurely cruise along Highway 1 and a blast through the gorgeous twisty roads that splice through the canyons.
Driving Impressions

Jaguar’s supercharged 5.0-liter V8 powertrain generates one of the best exhaust notes I’ve heard. Its unbelievably bombastic sound makes the car feel like a sentient being, almost like a wild animal that’s angry about something: It snarls under acceleration, grunts during gear changes, and releases pops and bangs on the overrun. Sitting as one of the only front-engined V8 automobiles left in the sports car segment, the F-Type fills its place well. Having said that, the latest F-Type P450 RWD Convertible is more than just an engine. The shock-and-awe factor of its powertrain sometimes overshadows the electronics that optimize its agility in the corners.

Despite many gearheads arguing that the engine is the F-Type’s best attribute, it's not half bad when it comes to navigating a corner. At the rear axle, the latest model features an active differential and brake-based torque vectoring that functions nearly identically to the unit found in the F-Pace SVR. Much simpler than mechanical torque splitters, this concept merely drags the brakes on the inside wheel going into a corner. This allows the outer wheels (which have a longer radius to travel) to spin faster, leading to improved cornering. From the driver’s seat, I could really feel the system shoving me through some of the twistier bits of tarmac where I was starting to push the envelope.

Tipping the scales at a modest 3,785 pounds, the F-Type Convertible disproves the myth that drop-top vehicles are much heavier than their hard-top counterparts—the rigid-roof variant is a mere 25 pounds lighter at 3,760. This means that, for another $1,700, you can have your cake and eat it too. I didn’t have a chance to drive the hard-top, but 25 pounds isn’t going to substantially slow you down.
Interior

For a brand that has a track record of giving its customers the best in luxury and refinement, I arrived with high expectations for the interior. And my experience behind the wheel of the F-Type was very enjoyable, but I did run across minor foibles.

If you want to look the part driving around Malibu, do it in a convertible Jaguar F-Type with the Caldera Red paint. For the couple of days a year that it rains there, you’ll be able to keep the roof up, during which my experience was very quiet and civilized. However, for the other 363 days, lowering the roof allowed me to better enjoy the wind and the supercharged V8 ruckus from out back. From the driver’s seat, the switch to raise and lower the roof was easy to use—positioned well within my reach above the rear-view mirror.

While the infotainment system featured wireless compatibility for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, the user interface design and navigation abilities dated the system quite a bit. I wouldn’t say the user experience was clunky per se, but I definitely expected more from such a newly released automobile. For context, earlier in the day, I had driven the F-Pace SVR, which featured Jaguar’s latest Pivi Pro infotainment system—one of the best I’ve used in recent times because it was easy to use and highly responsive.

Along with the special seats, my vehicle was optioned out with the 770-watt Meridian sound system, which was just as disappointing as the unit in the F-Pace SVR. Sure, I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt as I was listening to my favorite tunes with the top down, but I was rather underwhelmed with the performance associated with the $900 price. Just as I had experienced earlier in the day, the stereo lacks the mid-range punch that you’d expect from such an expensive system.
Exterior

While the engine and exhaust note will always be an F-Type party piece, the exterior has forever been easy on the eyes. The facelift for model-year 2022 keeps the silhouette of the previous-generation car while sculpting minor details to create a new look. Seeing the vehicle in the flesh, it’s clear that the F-Type keeps plenty of its DNA. The British sports car’s aesthetic now features a healthy dose of elegance with much less shock and awe.

This is clearly evident at the front fascia, with slimmed down headlights. Jaguar also massaged the double-j shaped daytime running lights, which blend in seamlessly with the clamshell hood. While the F-Type keeps roughly the same exterior dimensions, the new lights do a great job accentuating its aggressive stance.

The same recipe was applied to the rear lights, which have been put on a diet. Much like the front end, the slimmer lights wrap around the wheel arches to trace the vehicle’s burly haunches. Thankfully, the rear keeps the same stout proportions, which help the F-Type strike the delicate balance between being achingly gorgeous while maintaining some attitude.

The drop-top folds up and down quickly and actuates at up to 30 miles per hour. Once down, the roof folds neatly behind the headrests, hidden under a wind flap. My only complaint with the convertible top was not knowing when the roof had successfully latched. Upon leaving the parking lot, I hadn’t put the roof all the way down, and the car didn’t really scream at me that it was up until the next rest stop. After I got going again, I realized that the digital dashboard only displayed an obvious warning for a limited amount of time before leaving a smaller caution light.

The Verdict

Sure, little has changed for the F-Type from model year 2021 to 2022, but Jaguar’s powertrain remains impressive. With the entire lineup being available exclusively with V8 power, every customer has the chance to enjoy the roar of its eight-cylinder engine. While the F-Type was an expert canyon carver through Malibu’s magic ribbons of tarmac, it was also a luxury savant on the highway. With electrically adjustable dampers and exhaust, the vehicle can ace just about any road you throw at it.

Last edited by scm; 12-03-2021 at 12:25 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by scm:
cpq100 (12-03-2021), ferrral (12-03-2021), Fireze22 (12-03-2021), Mahjik (12-03-2021), soaringeaglers (04-06-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 01:35 PM

Thanks for posting SCM, you beat me to it. Sorry for the confusion!

Old 12-03-2021, 03:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for sharing. The reviewer says that the car has wireless carplay and android auto? Is that a typo? I don't believe F-TYPE has wireless carplay or android auto yet.

Old 12-03-2021, 05:56 PM
LMS
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ToysARs
Thanks for sharing. The reviewer says that the car has wireless carplay and android auto? Is that a typo? I don't believe F-TYPE has wireless carplay or android auto yet.
I was just getting ready to ask the same thing. Wireless carplay would be awesome.