F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible (Probable?) New F-Type Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 05:43 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Possible (Probable?) New F-Type Owner

I've always loved the F-Type, especially in the Firesand Orange color, ever since I was shopping for (and ultimately purchasing) a then-new 2014 XJL and sat in a Firesand F-Type while in the showroom. Unfortunately, for the past 12 or so years, I've needed to drive a large sedan so first I purchased a then-new 2012 XJL, followed by a 2014 XJL, and then a 2017 Maserati Quattroporte. Since I no longer have a need for a large sedan, I've been perusing all the various car sites to see what was available in terms of used F-types. Since this was just going to be a fun little purchase, I didn't want to buy a new car as I had usually done in the past. I noticed that Jaguar came out with a new orange color (Atacama Orange) a few years ago, but I've only seen it on F-Type R cars, and I really didn't need or want all that extra horsepower. Not to mention not wanting to spend $90k+ for a used car. I was about to give up hope on finding my orange toy when I noticed that a somewhat local Toyota dealer just got a Firesand 2014 F-Type in as a trade. It has a lot more miles than I'm used to having on a car, (In fact, I've never even owned a car with more than 70k miles in my life.), but it seems in pretty good shape for an almost 10-year-old car. I went and test drove it this afternoon and told the salesman that if it passed a PPI at the local Jaguar dealership, I'd go ahead and buy it. And that's where the car is right now. In fact, I talked with the service advisor at the Jaguar dealership, and she told me that the car had been serviced there on a regular basis over the past 9 years, and that the previous owners took good care of it. So barring any unforeseen problems when I hear back about the results of the PPI tomorrow, I may finally have the car I've always wanted, in the color that I've always loved. Here's the listing (albeit without any photos). If I can figure out how to do it, I'll upload a couple of photos that I took out on the lot.

https://www.stokestoyotahiltonhead.c...a6e75e8k10670/

Edit

Last edited by MadManOfBethesda; 08-03-2023 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
The following 4 users liked this post by MadManOfBethesda:
bk000 (08-05-2023), piperman (08-03-2023), scm (08-04-2023), Thunder Dump (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

One thing you will need to check is whether the coolant pipes have been changed to the upgraded version. If it still has the original pipes with a flanged seam, these should be changed. The original pipes have a moderately high failure rate.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:48 PM
Received 446 Likes on 241 Posts

You're going to love it. Especially the ridiculous exhaust that will make you feel 20 years younger and smile from ear to ear.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by sov211
One thing you will need to check is whether the coolant pipes have been changed to the upgraded version. If it still has the original pipes with a flanged seam, these should be changed. The original pipes have a moderately high failure rate.
Thanks. I'm aware of the issue from reading the forum, but I really don't have much of a choice if I want a Firesand convertible. Since the car has 93k miles, it's going to need a lot of things done in a few months anyway at the 96k service, so if I do decide to buy the car, I'll just have to plan on changing out the coolant pipes at the same time.

One other thing I'd definitely like to pursue would be the addition of an aftermarket backup camera. It's been quite a long time since I've driven a car without one. Does anyone know if Jaguar dealers will install something like the NAV-TV camera that uses the oem display?

Old 08-04-2023, 09:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It has now been 3 months since I purchased mine. Mine is a daily driver with work being about 15 miles away. I love the car and really love the sound. I have a smile on my face every time I get in it. I too love that orange. The car is small, but that is how I like it. A couple of small quirks like the sun visor, but I can live with that. It looks like your windows are tinted as that was the first thing I had done when I got mine.

Old 08-04-2023, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
Thanks. I'm aware of the issue from reading the forum, but I really don't have much of a choice if I want a Firesand convertible. Since the car has 93k miles, it's going to need a lot of things done in a few months anyway at the 96k service, so if I do decide to buy the car, I'll just have to plan on changing out the coolant pipes at the same time.

One other thing I'd definitely like to pursue would be the addition of an aftermarket backup camera. It's been quite a long time since I've driven a car without one. Does anyone know if Jaguar dealers will install something like the NAV-TV camera that uses the oem display?
If you can get a repair history from dealer, you'd be able to tell if the coolant pipes have been replaced. Check with the selling dealer, previous owner, or Carfax for pointers of who's worked on it. But, even if they're original, I'd agree with your thoughts about waiting to do the change until you have a problem or are already in there for other work. It's a well-known issue, but still only affects a fraction of the engines. As a reference point, my MY17 F-Pace had its pipes replaced under warranty - I smelled a bit of antifreeze at a stop light and booked an appointment. No drama. Meanwhile, the MY14 F-Type is cruising along fine with the original.

I also have the NAV-TV and it works well enough. Mine was installed by a store that does cameras, alarms, etc. I wouldn't go to the dealer - it will probably cost you 2X, and they may/may not have ever done one.

While you're adding things, look into a Smart Top. It will let you use the key fob to roll the windows up/down, as well as the top. You can also program the car to always disable Start/Stop, engage exhaust, etc. You can easily install yourself and configure it with a laptop.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel
If you can get a repair history from dealer, you'd be able to tell if the coolant pipes have been replaced. Check with the selling dealer, previous owner, or Carfax for pointers of who's worked on it. But, even if they're original, I'd agree with your thoughts about waiting to do the change until you have a problem or are already in there for other work. It's a well-known issue, but still only affects a fraction of the engines. As a reference point, my MY17 F-Pace had its pipes replaced under warranty - I smelled a bit of antifreeze at a stop light and booked an appointment. No drama. Meanwhile, the MY14 F-Type is cruising along fine with the original.

I also have the NAV-TV and it works well enough. Mine was installed by a store that does cameras, alarms, etc. I wouldn't go to the dealer - it will probably cost you 2X, and they may/may not have ever done one.

While you're adding things, look into a Smart Top. It will let you use the key fob to roll the windows up/down, as well as the top. You can also program the car to always disable Start/Stop, engage exhaust, etc. You can easily install yourself and configure it with a laptop.
Well, it is all moot now.

The results of the PPI came in and it was not good news.

Interestingly, the service advisor started out by telling me that the tires were fine, but might need to be replaced in a year or so;, the brakes were good, and their were no leaks. Then came the kicker: the supercharger is bad and needs to be replaced. Total cost: $7,017.14 + $502.21 sales tax!

Talk about burying the lede, lol.

I obviously got my deposit back on the car.

The search for my dream F-Type continues....

Stay tuned.