Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Possible Scam?

After having my F-Type for for all of 3 weeks, I received a nicely packaged letter in snail mail from something called NTSR requiring IMMEDIATE RESPONSE TO THIS NOTICE REQUESTED. Seems that if I respond within 2 weeks to the 844 telephone # I will receive "Police Traceable Decal and VPR Tracking labels for my vehicle that will allow "Law Enforcement to track my vehicle through the 'National Theft Search & Recovery Database' in the event my vehicle is stolen."
Immediate response will result in a waiver of the $399 fee, but additional charges forthcoming are estimated to be $143. This old country boy is just a little bit suspicious.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:24 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
After having my F-Type for for all of 3 weeks, I received a nicely packaged letter in snail mail from something called NTSR requiring IMMEDIATE RESPONSE TO THIS NOTICE REQUESTED. Seems that if I respond within 2 weeks to the 844 telephone # I will receive "Police Traceable Decal and VPR Tracking labels for my vehicle that will allow "Law Enforcement to track my vehicle through the 'National Theft Search & Recovery Database' in the event my vehicle is stolen."
Immediate response will result in a waiver of the $399 fee, but additional charges forthcoming are estimated to be $143. This old country boy is just a little bit suspicious.
With JLR's InControl App you can do all of what is described above, for yourself!

I suspect a 2017MY vehicle has the InControl Remote app feature as standard... Do you have this app installed on your smartphone (Apple or Android)?

Old 04-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

....as you should be.

Dave

Old 04-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So here is my question. On my In Control App, it only shows the last parked position of the F type. It does not show the car when it is in movement/being driven. On another thread, I think someone said it does show when the car is moving, and I have not been able to see this. Am I doing something wrong?

It seems to me this is an essential feature, as it is supposed to prevent theft. If someone steals that car and it only shows last parked position, that is no help. I wouls think with the GPS systems today, it should be able to track the car in motion, so you can pinpoint its location.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 04-16-2017, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by 17jag
So here is my question. On my In Control App, it only shows the last parked position of the F type. It does not show the car when it is in movement/being driven. On another thread, I think someone said it does show when the car is moving, and I have not been able to see this. Am I doing something wrong?

It seems to me this is an essential feature, as it is supposed to prevent theft. If someone steals that car and it only shows last parked position, that is no help. I wouls think with the GPS systems today, it should be able to track the car in motion, so you can pinpoint its location.

What am I doing wrong?
In Control Remote will not track the car in motion. Also, it doesn't seem like the offering mentioned by the OP automatically relays the theft notification to the police nearest the car as does Lo-Jack. If you are in a high theft area, don't fool around with one-offs or rely on inControl to get your car back. Your dealer can set you up with an at cost (theirs) installation for about $500 vs the 995 retail.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

I have seen entries about the InContol app here but somehow it was not brought up by dealer or my seller. What did I miss? If it only works for the last parked position, it would not be that useful in any case, as the car could be quite a distance from the last parked location. Is it a free app, or is there a cost? Does anyone recommend it?
This 'snail mail' flyer just seemed a little too convenient, and I am curious as to who passed my name on to this obvious seemmingly scammer.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I have seen entries about the InContol app here but somehow it was not brought up by dealer or my seller. What did I miss? If it only works for the last parked position, it would not be that useful in any case, as the car could be quite a distance from the last parked location. Is it a free app, or is there a cost? Does anyone recommend it?
This 'snail mail' flyer just seemed a little too convenient, and I am curious as to who passed my name on to this obvious seemmingly scammer.
inControl App is free for the life of the warranty. Absolutely essential for accessing your music libraries from you touch screen and for using the JustDrive features (voice activation, etc. - also a separate app). The car thief has to park sometime, so there is some limited use in the inControl Remote app (also separate). I found the best use for the InControl Remote is to monitor whether service staff/ valets are engaged in unauthorized use, or to determine if they are properly test driving the car and to double check to see if the car is locked and all the windows are up. Highly recommended. If you don't have these 3 apps on your touchscreen, you are limiting yourself to about 25% of the functionality of the infotainment system.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Google reveals many complaints to the BBB about this company. It's not quite a scam but a lot of money for very little return. The concept appeals to the paranoid crowd who beleives you just can't be too careful or have too much insurance.

Their flyers are mailed out at random in addition to new car purchases.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. I have had mixed results with the BBB, so seldom put much stock in their usage, but if they are down oon them anyway, that is another mark against an already doubtful idea.
I will start checking the JLR's apps. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have had mixed results with the BBB, so seldom put much stock in their usage, but if they are down oon them anyway, that is another mark against an already doubtful idea.
I will start checking the JLR's apps. Thanks for the info.
Sam, maybe they were picking on you because of your forum name?

Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

A savvy car thief would plug a GPS jammer into the cigarette lighter before going on his way. Luckily, most thieves are idiots. Never seen one thief on Bait Car use one but that would be entertaining.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Sam, maybe they were picking on you because of your forum name?
That is a possibility, but, di you ever watch "Columbo" ? Not saying I am in his league, but I do like a little bit of understatement.
Actually, I have reported a couple of local scams to BBB in the past with no results. They were later shut down by local law enforcement for illegal operation. When I questioned BBB, their response was, "not enough information". Always 'CYA'.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
A savvy car thief would plug a GPS jammer into the cigarette lighter before going on his way. Luckily, most thieves are idiots. Never seen one thief on Bait Car use one but that would be entertaining.
My friend, now retired from the LAPD, said they would not catch 1/2 the crooks so quickly, if it were not for their complete stupidity.