F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post VelocityAP Tune: Exhaust pops and crackles behave very differently, and not fun

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post VelocityAP Tune: Exhaust pops and crackles behave very differently, and not fun

Hello all,

I know many people here installed the VAP tune on their F-Types but I haven't been able to find any comments on the dramatic change in how the exhaust behaves after installing this tune. It's been really annoying me and I wanted to see what others' experiences have been.

I got the ECU + Crank pulley upgrade installed on my 2015 F-Type R RWD before new year's. In terms of the performance change and how the car runs I can't complain, the tune makes a big difference. However in addition to the expected changes in performance there were some unexpected ones: the tune completely changed the character of the exhaust.

First, the classic pops with the tapping don't work anymore. I'm talking about going down from like 5k rpm and tapping on the gas pedal that starts the machine gun pops, that's not doable at all. You won't get a single pop. To me that's like the signature character of the car and one that gives me control on whether I want the pops to kick in or no.

Instead with the tune I'm getting some pops instantly whenever I shift down manually now, and a lot of crackles. The car keeps doing the crackles like non stop when you shift down an stay on higher rev. If you like using the engine break like I do, the car will basically sound like a pop corn machine at all times with this behavior.

Again, I like the performance improvements but why change the exhaust sound pattern on a car that is already nailing it? I certainly don't like it, and if I had known prior to purchase this would probably discourage me from installing the tune.

Thoughts? Has anyone had similar experience with the VAP tune?

Old 01-10-2020, 12:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you contacted VAP about this? They’re pretty good about Modifying the tune to your liking.

i do however know exactly what you mean in terms of how it crackles from what you described. Hopefully it can be modified.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Yes, VAP can modify the tune so you aren't getting as much afterburn. You just have to tell them. Most owners like that so that's the default they do unless told otherwise.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:21 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

My butt dyno says the car is pulling harder, but I’ve noticed no change in exhaust sounds after doing just the VAP tune. But no doubt the V6 is different.

The following users liked this post:
Manual-S (01-11-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
My butt dyno says the car is pulling harder, but I’ve noticed no change in exhaust sounds after doing just the VAP tune. But no doubt the V6 is different.
I've notice several changes with my V6 tune. I have the same behavior as the OP as well as it appear the rev limit when in park is removed. However, I don't mind all the extra noise.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:41 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

If extra pops and crackle is requested, that would be the default file edit which is sent out. This file sets fuel on overrun whereas the stock file doesn't, stock file will only toggle in fuel when you feather the throttle and then it stops.

If you don't request the extra pops and crackle, the stock sound will be present because those maps would be untouched.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

Old 01-10-2020, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuning@VelocityAP
If extra pops and crackle is requested, that would be the default file edit which is sent out. This file sets fuel on overrun whereas the stock file doesn't, stock file will only toggle in fuel when you feather the throttle and then it stops.

If you don't request the extra pops and crackle, the stock sound will be present because those maps would be untouched.
Thanks for the prompt response. I had no information of such an option when I made the order through Peninsula European here in the bay area. I only ordered the tune.

Is it easy to get an updated ECU to go back to stock settings fo the exhaust? I see it sets the fuel but what it won't do is when I tap I can't get the louder pops anymore. That's the part I'm not liking most.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:24 PM
Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by mekzd
Thanks for the prompt response. I had no information of such an option when I made the order through Peninsula European here in the bay area. I only ordered the tune.

Is it easy to get an updated ECU to go back to stock settings fo the exhaust? I see it sets the fuel but what it won't do is when I tap I can't get the louder pops anymore. That's the part I'm not liking most.
Peninsula would of submitted your file to us for editing. You would require going back to them and have Praveen request a new file from us to reflash the vehicle.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com