Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post-Warranty Concerns/Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Post-Warranty Concerns/Pricing

Howdy Folks,

I've unexpectedly found myself browsing the shallow-end of the F-Type pool (skipping the X150s on my climb up the two-door ladder). I'm considering V6 coupes, so looking at 2015s.

It appears that people will put 20k miles/year on an F-Type for some reason. Any experience or concerns emerging for F-Types with 60k or more miles on the clock?

Any opinions about how risky a post-warranty price/mileage trade-off looks with these cars?

I'm observing that 2015 V6 S cars are asking about $10k (or maybe a little less) premium over the Base V6. Given that, if we put up a 2015 Base V6 at 30k miles against an otherwise identical V6 S at 60k miles for the same price, how would you feel about the S? What if the Base V6 is CPO?

My assumed starting point is a Base V6 Coupe CPO from a Jag dealer, and I'd be buying with cash (which is why I'm trying to keep to the cheap seats, tho the 2016s tempt me so!). I'm trying to figure how to value the warranty, and how far off that beaten path I should wander off to look for a deal or preferred options. (I'm shocked how many of these cars were sold without the exhaust cut-out option, frex. I want a pano roof, vision pack, etc, etc.)

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtomatic
Howdy Folks,

I've unexpectedly found myself browsing the shallow-end of the F-Type pool (skipping the X150s on my climb up the two-door ladder). I'm considering V6 coupes, so looking at 2015s.

It appears that people will put 20k miles/year on an F-Type for some reason. Any experience or concerns emerging for F-Types with 60k or more miles on the clock?

Any opinions about how risky a post-warranty price/mileage trade-off looks with these cars?

I'm observing that 2015 V6 S cars are asking about $10k (or maybe a little less) premium over the Base V6. Given that, if we put up a 2015 Base V6 at 30k miles against an otherwise identical V6 S at 60k miles for the same price, how would you feel about the S? What if the Base V6 is CPO?

My assumed starting point is a Base V6 Coupe CPO from a Jag dealer, and I'd be buying with cash (which is why I'm trying to keep to the cheap seats, tho the 2016s tempt me so!). I'm trying to figure how to value the warranty, and how far off that beaten path I should wander off to look for a deal or preferred options. (I'm shocked how many of these cars were sold without the exhaust cut-out option, frex. I want a pano roof, vision pack, etc, etc.)

Thanks!
I’m pretty sure you can find some V6S’ out there with way less than 60K on the clock and the MY15 will most certainly have some factory warranty left on it. There is certainly a price premium when you buy CPO from a Jag Dealer.

In my situation, I bought my ’14 last June from a private dealership, 18000miles.. The Carfax says my factory warranty is good till May of 2018. I also gave the VIN to my local Jag dealer and they said the same thing. They also honored 2 warranty items that surfaced. Given my VIN#, I bought an extended warranty from my local dealer as well, albeit 3rd party.

Personally, I would pick a V6S but with lower milage - I’m sure this is possible. The base model does not have the exhaust valves. Really, the price differential is not just the 40 extra horsepower. The S also has the exhaust valves and adaptive suspension. I think it has standard 19” wheels and the base has 18”.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jagged Wire; 01-07-2018 at 02:01 AM. Reason: added content
Old 01-07-2018, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
Personally, I would pick a V6S but with lower milage - I’m sure this is possible. The base model does not have the exhaust valves. Really, the price differential is not just the 40 extra horsepower. The S also has the exhaust valves and adaptive suspension. I think it has standard 19” wheels and the base has 18”.
And an LSD.

I would look for a warranty if you're concerned about paying for issues down the road. These are not the most reliable of vehicles.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:50 AM

Thanks!

I'm aware of the various options; my main interest in the S is the active suspension. I'd be leaning more into the GT side of things than the track-day side of the car. I would happily take an active suspension with the LSD, 18-wheels, and sport seats if I could get 'em, but that's not how this car is being sold. Not a deal breaker by any means; it's not like my XKR is butter smooth or anything.

While there are V6 S coupes out there for as low as $47k, the CPOs are $50k or more. Compare that to the base V6 coupes--I just missed out on a CPO coupe with 25k miles on it for $39k last week. (I'm increasingly getting salty about not jumping on that one quicker.)

If I wasn't being so damn picky, it would be easier; there are '14 CPO verts here locally for $35K (which is nuts), but I want a coupe this time, I want the pano, VISION, certain colors... I'm trying to decide how picky to be about mileage and warranty. Reaching up higher for an S would be me being picky about the suspension. Pulling the trigger is going to be about pricing the right set of compromises that will still keep me happy with the car.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

"there are '14 CPO verts here locally for $35K (which is nuts)"

I assume these are base models with 60k miles plus that you are referring to? 35k for a base vert even seems low

Old 01-07-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by watson6505
I assume these are base models with 60k miles plus that you are referring to? 35k for a base vert even seems low
Base models, yes. 43k miles is a bit high, but not crazy for a '14. Not CPO either, which is hurting it a little too. They had a blue vert there in that same price range last week, but I'm not seeing it now--must have sold it.

Although it's not what I'm looking for, that car is still an interesting value proposition. If you're looking for a loaded BRG base F-Type convertible, you can get one for $35k, but you've got less than a year left on the warranty, if that.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Kurt - just for reference, I bought my pre-owned 2015 S coupe 3 months ago from a BMW dealership in San Antonio (so it is not CPO). It was put in service in mid-year 2016, so it still has over 50% of the factory warranty left. It has the performance seats, vision package, power trunk, 20" Tornado wheels and most of the other goodies available in that model year. At the time of purchase, it had 14,400 miles on it. I paid $52,900, give or take a few dollars.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by woodturner
It was put in service in mid-year 2016, so it still has over 50% of the factory warranty left. It has the performance seats, vision package, power trunk, 20" Tornado wheels and most of the other goodies available in that model year. At the time of purchase, it had 14,400 miles on it. I paid $52,900, give or take a few dollars.
Nice! That original sale date is the trick with the warranty. That's basically as good as a certification. Well done.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

And bigger/better front brakes, 355 mm single pot on the base vs 380 mm twin pot on the S. Although you can specify the bigger brakes on the base as an option, so an unknown percentage of used base models will have these and it's odds on they don't increase the prices by much if anything.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
And bigger/better front brakes, 355 mm single pot on the base vs 380 mm twin pot on the S. Although you can specify the bigger brakes on the base as an option, so an unknown percentage of used base models will have these and it's odds on they don't increase the prices by much if anything.
A lot of the base V6s have 19-inch wheels, and I see some that have the black painted calipers (as opposed to unpainted). Ironically, I really like the Vela wheel, it's my favorite look right now.

I would love to have an S, but not so much that I'm going to overspend for one, or deny myself an F-Type altogether if I can't get one at a price I'm comfortable with.

So that's where the mileage/warranty question comes in. There is a beautiful Stratus Gray S in San Diego marked all the way down to $39k because it's got 59,260 miles on it, LOL. That's either a brilliant deal or a total disaster waiting to happen.

On the other hand, there was a loaded base V6 CPO with less than 25k miles in Fort Lauderdale last week for that same price. I called them to inquire about getting a hold, and they told me it had just sold that morning.

My problem is I like gambling on cars! It's so out of character for me to buy something with a warranty, which is undoubtedly why my wife likes the idea of me getting a 2015 so much.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Nothing wrong with a gamble.
I bought all three of my Jags (2010 XFS, 2010 XFR and 2014 F-Type S) without looking at or test driving any of them, as they were all 1000s of miles away.
I had car forum mates look at and test drive the two XFs and in each case they came back with glowing reports, so I bought them. Both cars turned out to be in great condition both mechanically and cosmetically, so no regrets (other than the crap prices I got when I sold them!).
With the F-Type I bought it completely blind, no forum buddy available to check it out, but it was hard to resist because the asking price was waaay below market value (new prestige used car dealer, first ever Jag let alone F-Type, fully loaded with nearly all the options, I don't think they had any idea what it was really worth), and it turned out to be damn near perfect.
So worth a punt I reckon.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Now days with vehicle history reports and long factory warranties, I think the risk of "gambling" as you describe it are greatly minimized. A vehicle that has a not had a history of problems that still has 1 year of factory warranty left is pretty low risk in my opinion.

Considering the substantial discount you're getting by buying used, if you have to pay for a repair or two you are still way ahead of buying new.

Lastly, I'm a member of several forums, and have owned approximately 20 vehicles. My F-type experience so far has been excellent, and overall our cars seem to be relatively trouble free and the problems reported on this forum don't seem any worse than what I see on Toyota, BMW or many other makes.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:49 PM

Thanks for all the input, folks!

Old 01-08-2018, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

My F-Type experience is really good but i bought extended after factory ended, but I do some times have buyers remorse. It is pro rated refundable less $200 so you never know.