F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential F-Type Buyer Seeks Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Potential F-Type Buyer Seeks Advice

I am nearing the end of my lease on a BMW 535i and have been looking at different vehicles as a replacement. I drove an F-Type S convertible at a Jaguar driving event in Carmel, CA several weeks ago and absolutely loved it. The intoxicating sound and great looks really got me hooked on this car. I walked away impressed and can still hear the exhaust seductively calling me to move to a Jaguar. Without the invite to drive the car, I would have never even considered it. I drove a 2015 BMW M3 on a track doing hot laps a week later. It was awesome, but I walked away even more convinced the Jaguar could be a better fit for me. The F-Type is a huge world apart in practicality from my 5 series, but has the excitement I want in my next car. My preference is for the F-Type S convertible.

As a member of the BMW Bimmerfest forum, I received invaluable information that helped me make very good decisions on my current car. I am the type of person who likes to research and be happy with a good purchase, instead of making an impulse buy and possibly regretting it.

I apologize in advance for asking so many questions and would appreciate any objective advice owners of the F-Type can provide to a potential buyer, especially any current or former BMW owners who switched brands.

1. What was your previous car?

2. Did you order your F-Type? If so, how long did it take for delivery?

3. What is your #1 favorite thing about the F-Type?

4. What are any low points with the F-Type after ownership?

5. What options are a must?

6. What options are not necessary?

7. How would the F-Type be as a daily driver? (In my case, my wife already
has a 4 door luxury car for long trips and extra passengers)

8. Convertible owners: How do you deal with the total lack of storage space?

9. Has the dealer service experience been good?

10. If you were to do it all over again, would you purchase another F-Type?

11. Any tips for negotiating with the dealer on the F-Type? (With BMW, a
good deal on a current model is generally considered to be $500 over
dealer invoice less rebates and other incentives)

12. Any outstanding dealer salesman recommendations in the San Francisco,
Sacramento or San Jose areas? (I live in the Napa area)

13. Any other advice or problems a potential F-Type buyer should know
about?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

hmm, formatting on this was terrible when quoted

Originally Posted by jmfan
2010 Audi R8 (V10)

Bought one off the lot that someone else configured and then couldn't buy due to a failure on their trade-in condition.
The other, they told me would be a 4 month wait if ordered, so they found one on a ship over that was "close enough" to what I wanted.

Sound
(also my #2, #3, #4, and #5 favorite things)

Had the V8 S convertible, engine threw a rod.
Now have coupe.

Debatable - but Vision Pack saves me nearly every time I drive - I wouldn't want it without it.

Nearly any/all of them other than the Vision Pack, beyond just visual preferences (I like black pack)
Most universal consensus seems to be that the apps thing is the most useless of them all.

7. How would the F-Type be as a daily driver?
Easily could be daily driver - esp in Cali.

Don't make it your only car - if you need storage space, use the other car.
Then in the convertible, don't bring stuff, don't buy stuff, enjoy the sound, sunburns, and smiles.

Yes and no.
No, until I got corporate involved in my engine issue, then it sorted.

I would, and did.

11. Any tips for negotiating with the dealer on the F-Type?
Don't marry any given single car, be ready and willing to walk away, and you will hold more power.
Stating the obvious, that is useless for you if you are ordering custom spec.

12. Any outstanding dealer salesman recommendations in the San Francisco, Sacramento or San Jose areas? (I live in the Napa area)
No clue - I have a friend with a Range Rover Sport in Sacramento and he has a ton of high end cars - I could ask him, but I don't know the area.

If you like the V6, avoid the V8, as you will want one.
If you like the S, avoid the R, as you will want one.
If you like going fast, avoid the R coupe on a track, as you will decide you must have one.

The following users liked this post:
jleuz1 (09-05-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

my last car was a bmw 550i. it was a nice ride but a soulless one, i felt.
the f-type is entirely different.....this car is a much rougher ride because of the sports suspensions, but it's emotive and expressive and a ton of fun to drive.

for the bay area i would recommend alysha at san jose british motors. the san francisco dealer was lousy on price in my experience. i called/emailed 17 different dealers in california and san jose beat them all. ymmv.

get the jaguar car club discount. search on this forum for links (there are plenty).
there's plenty of info on this forum around options, including the current thread around what options people wish they had.

good luck!

Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
my last car was a bmw 550i. it was a nice ride but a soulless one, i felt.
the f-type is entirely different.....this car is a much rougher ride because of the sports suspensions, but it's emotive and expressive and a ton of fun to drive.

for the bay area i would recommend alysha at san jose british motors. the san francisco dealer was lousy on price in my experience. i called/emailed 17 different dealers in california and san jose beat them all. ymmv.

get the jaguar car club discount. search on this forum for links (there are plenty).
there's plenty of info on this forum around options, including the current thread around what options people wish they had.

good luck!
E92 M3, Audi RS4, and a C6 Z06 before that.

Schraderade nailed perfectly in describing the "soulless" feeling of the German cars. The F-Type is the perfect throwback to the days when roadsters had character, and were fun to drive, and it sounds like you experienced similar feelings on your test drive.

As for practicality, there is no getting around the fact that it just isn't. I drive a Jeep or a truck if I have to carry anything substantial. Every drive, even the commute to work, is an "event" I look forward to in the F-Type.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I just came from my dealer today and saw the ftype for the first time. The Italian racing red with the black pack on a convertible was beautiful beyond belief. I prefer the look of the coupe which was on site, but the convertible was in IRR and I couldn't look away. This car is better looking in person than in pictures! Happy shopping.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Are you working for JD Powers

I have a coupe, so might not be 100% applicable to your decision.

1. 2013 Porsche 991 C2
2. No, not a custom order.
3. The rear design (coupe) tied with the awesome sound
4. Scrapes on driveways a lot
5. Active exhaust for the awesome sound
6. -
7. Depends on your commute/road conditions but I personally not buy it as a daily driver.
8. -
9. Service experience has been great (British Motors in SF)
10. Definitely would buy again.
11. Plenty of convertible supply and several dealers in the area
12. -
13. -

Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I got the F Type only because there's nothing else around in the sports car category in this price range.

Similarly prices porsches, mercedes, bmw, audi . . . just don't compare. The new vette is a competitor but that's too flashy for me.

Overall though, the F Type is not a logical choice at all so if you're asking 13 questions I might suggest you definitely get another car. The F type is purely a fun driving car that looks cool.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here are my answers to your questions. In general, I'd tell you to just go for it - the F-Type is a great car.

2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10 coupe. I canceled my order for a 2013 Viper GTS when they hadn't built the thing for 7.5 months and had no info about when it would be built.

I ordered my F-Type V8 S convertible a few days after July 4th and was driving it by mid-October.

The sound - it's the loudest, best sounding stock car I've ever owned. The ZF tranny in it is pretty good too - definitely don't miss shifting the gears myself.

There really are none - it's been a great car thus far. The only thing I can think of is that the brand needs to continue to work on making its image more youthful.

The V-8.

I bought the upgraded sound system and I'm not sure it was worth the money.

I drove my Viper as a daily driver and the F-Type is my daily as well. There's no issue with making it your daily driver.

I think the lack of space is over exaggerated. while the trunk won't hold anything much taller than a paper grocery sack it extends pretty far forward towards the cockpit of the car and if you're good about fitting your shorter items up in that area it'll actually hold quite a bit of stuff.

My sales experience was night and day different from my experiences with Dodge dealers and the Viper. The dealer here was very easy to deal with and was very professional. I've never needed service on the car, so I can't address the service department but I have no reason to believe they aren't easy to deal with as well.

Absolutely.

I got a deal based on invoice plus a small amount at a time when most of these cars were being sold at sticker. I suspect these days you could pretty easily start from dealer invoice.

Sacramento or San Jose areas?

No experience with dealers there.

about?
None that I know of.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Audi S5 but have a modified 2004 XKR and one of the very rare supercharged FX-35s (Infiniti)

Ordered, but got it in two weeks. Got all the options and in black which another dealer had already had coming in. Was one of the first 100 made.

One thing? That is actually pretty hard. But the sound of the V8 is amazing.

Being one of the first cars made there were fit issues, paint issues, spring issues. Nothing big but had I known this was an early car I would have passed and waited for one that had been made later.

V8, Vision Pack, Sport Seats, active exhaust

I like all my options including the better stereo (center speaker does make a difference).

Not a lot of trunk space and it is an aluminum body car so you stress over parking lot dings.

It doesn't really bother me that much but then I have two other cars. The XKR has a massive trunk and the FX is an SUV.

My dealer has been great.

Best car I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of cars.

If you join the Jaguar Club of North America there are member discounts. It is worth the effort. Also if you buy off the lot and don't order and the car has been around for a while they'll be more generous with the pricing.

Sacramento or San Jose areas?

Johnathan at British Motors San Jose was great tell him I sent you (I see him every week or so). Really nice guy.

about? Test drive all the models before choosing and make sure you floor the V8 in sport mode at least once, it is an E-Ticket ride. The hard top and convertible are very different, almost like different cars, and a lot of folks prefer the V6 (I'm not one of them).

The V8R (hard top) is strangely both faster and more refined than the V8S but the V8S is a beast, and damn it, I love a beast.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Banned

Build Your Own Sports Car: 2014 Corvette Stingray Convertible | Chevrolet

The F type's (2014) currently have huge lease deals where you can essentially get one for $10,000 to $15,000 off MSRP, brand new. But no such deals for the vette. Still, you can get an insane vette for the price of an F Type.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Ordered my car in March of last year, before they were shipping, and before Jaguar let the press drive it. Then the positive reviews starting flowing, and I got the car in June of last year. Have almost 13,000 miles on it.

It's my summer daily driver, and it's great. I try not to drive it if rain is in the forecast, because then I have to wash it again. And I don't find it nearly as much fun to drive with roof up.

I was glad I tacked on the Premium Pack - love the keyless entry implementation. Wish I had the vision pack - I can't seem to center the car when pulling into a parking spot, because I can't see the lines.

This is my first sports car (other than an MG Midget in high school), and the first time I've had a 2nd car (I'm single). Other car is a Mercury Milan Hybrid - I feel like I'm driving a school bus when I get back into that.

My golf clubs are in the trunk most of the time, and that's about all that fits. (A carry bag without the woods works, but a cart bag won't fit.) Unfortunately, if I wanted to do a weekend golf trip with a friend, I'd probably have to ship the clubs. I can squeeze two carry bags in, with the woods in the cabin, but then there is nowhere for luggage other than under the passenger's legs.

Also, I took it to a track day at a road course in Michigan this summer, and had a blast. The instructor loved it (he has a Vette) other than the street tires.

Last edited by DJS; 09-05-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

I am nearing the end of my lease on a BMW 535i and have been looking at different vehicles as a replacement. I drove an F-Type S convertible at a Jaguar driving event in Carmel, CA several weeks ago and absolutely loved it. The intoxicating sound and great looks really got me hooked on this car. I walked away impressed and can still hear the exhaust seductively calling me to move to a Jaguar. Without the invite to drive the car, I would have never even considered it. I drove a 2015 BMW M3 on a track doing hot laps a week later. It was awesome, but I walked away even more convinced the Jaguar could be a better fit for me. The F-Type is a huge world apart in practicality from my 5 series, but has the excitement I want in my next car. My preference is for the F-Type S convertible.

As a member of the BMW Bimmerfest forum, I received invaluable information that helped me make very good decisions on my current car. I am the type of person who likes to research and be happy with a good purchase, instead of making an impulse buy and possibly regretting it.

I apologize in advance for asking so many questions and would appreciate any objective advice owners of the F-Type can provide to a potential buyer, especially any current or former BMW owners who switched brands.

The one that got dumped was the SL63.

I didnt order mine- dealer sourced it from another store.

Tough to say but since I have faster cars, I would say the exhaust note.

Nothing major- some minor heaves and haws like no cooling seats and some fit and finish items: hood doesnt close perfectly, minor paint imperfections.

Most members have addressed this: v8 engine, vision pack, sport exhaust...

N/A

7. How would the F-Type be as a daily driver? (In my case, my wife already
has a 4 door luxury car for long trips and extra passengers)

I dont see any issues here, some may find the exhaust too loud but I love it. Comfort via the shock set up is easy to adjust and the seats are good and supportive.

N/A

Havent had the need... yet.

100% Yes.

11. Any tips for negotiating with the dealer on the F-Type? (With BMW, a
good deal on a current model is generally considered to be $500 over
dealer invoice less rebates and other incentives)

See other comments.

Sacramento or San Jose areas? (I live in the Napa area)

N/A

about?

Having owned and owning a decent amount of higher performance cars, I would not allow one test drive to close you either way. I would drive it and then come back in several days re-drive it. This is what I did to confirm my desire and I do this with any of my cars where the dealer is accomodating.

Thanks in advance!

See my answers in bold above....

Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM

I really want to thank everyone for all the great feedback! The positive responses were very reassuring and I can sense a strong passion about this car. I have been all over the place looking at different vehicles to replace my current car. Your input has moved the F-Type to #1 on my list.

I love my 5 series and until recently planned to order another one, or a 435i convertible because I want another convertible. Then I drove the F-Type and threw all sense of practicality out the window for excitement. It is amazing what you can justify when you want something. I also like the fact that not everyone has one. It is more exclusive than BMW these days, who seems to be trying to conquer the world as sales leader and has lost their way a little. I agree they have become somewhat soulless.

My lease ends February 15th, so I am a little early to the plate, but I am going to try to visit a dealer over the next week to start the process. I just received a $2500 discount certificate (good through March) from Jaguar for attending the drive event recently, which sweetens things a bit.

Thanks again!

Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, when I ordered I had an Alfa Romeo Brera 3.2, an R53 Mini Cooper S Works, an E46 330ci, and a MG...

Last edited by F-typical; 09-05-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

My lease ends February 15th, so I am a little early to the plate, but I am going to try to visit a dealer over the next week to start the process. I just received a $2500 discount certificate (good through March) from Jaguar for attending the drive event recently, which sweetens things a bit.

Thanks again!
FWIW I also considered (albeit briefly) the BMW M4 and the 6 coupe but quickly discarded the idea. I think BMW has grotesquely overextended their product base and in order to do this they've driven platform convergence so every bmw looks and feels roughly the same. The brand dilution is awful so I went from being a huge fan to becoming disillusioned with the brand.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:11 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Also check out the various threads on JCNA discounts.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:24 PM

FWIW I also considered (albeit briefly) the BMW M4 and the 6 coupe but quickly discarded the idea. I think BMW has grotesquely overextended their product base and in order to do this they've driven platform convergence so every bmw looks and feels roughly the same. The brand dilution is awful so I went from being a huge fan to becoming disillusioned with the brand.
I strongly considered the M4 convertible but lost interest. Partly because of the blah interior and the dealers I visited recently slapped an $8,500 California price adjustment over MSRP on the M3’s and M4 coupe’s on the lot. This would push the price of the convertible I built on BMW’s web site to over $100k, which is nuts in my opinion. Then I looked at the M6 convertible because they are being heavily discounted right now, but the F-Type keeps calling my name. Don’t get me wrong, I still like BMW, but they don’t feel as special to me as they once did. BMW ended their lease “pull ahead” program and loyalty $ rebates for existing customers, giving me more reason look elsewhere.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Banned

I agree. I looked at BMW and Mercedes too and, although their 4 door sedans are really nice, their sports cars need an update (excluding their super cars of course which are awesome but unaffordable).

Old 09-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Also check out the various threads on JCNA discounts.
With the BMW club, you have to be a member for one year to take advantage of any discount they offer. The $2500 Ride & Drive event discount certificate I received from Jaguar does not have any disclaimer saying it cannot be combined with other offers, so I will have to see. I have read several threads discussing the Jaguar Club discount and it seems that some signed up and immediately got it. Can you or anyone verify this?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I wasn't aware of it when I got my car (might not have been available, don't know.) But lots of folks here have taken advantage of it. Read the threads and check out the JCNA website. Others can chime in with advice. But yes, a number of people reported joining JCNA and immediately getting the discount.

Quick Reply: Potential F-Type Buyer Seeks Advice