Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential F-Type R buyer

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
. Also for the vast majority of us it's a feeling that never goes away. The car just exudes soul, fun and genuine little kid joy. Pictures please!
+1. It’s always a thrill looking forward to the next drive.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Porsche regardless of money this car is what. Drive now.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 PM

I love this car it’s a 2016 R. I did have the stock Pirelli tires Schredded after less than 5000 Miles. Anyone else have this experience? I plan to switch to Michelin next time.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:57 PM

I know this doesn't answer your question but I too am considering to purchase the F-Type R. I own a 2014 F-Type V8 and the one aspect that I do not like is the fact that the car is all over the place on the launch due to the fact that it is a rear wheel drive. Some people like the wheel spin and it being all over the place but I don't. Knowing what I know now about this car I would purchase the "R" model but 2016 and on since that was the initial year that all-wheel drive was made.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 PM

I have a buddy who first bought the V6, 6 months later bought a 2015 R. Then I got he 2016 R now he’s going to look for the all wheel drive car also. It’s just too dangerous without the all wheel drive in my opinion. I’m not a race car driver but want the occasional power rush. The sound alone makes the car incredibly entertaining. I just don’t understand why Porsche does not engineer a car to sound even 50% as good as a F an Type.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:45 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Mavian
I know this doesn't answer your question but I too am considering to purchase the F-Type R. I own a 2014 F-Type V8 and the one aspect that I do not like is the fact that the car is all over the place on the launch due to the fact that it is a rear wheel drive. Some people like the wheel spin and it being all over the place but I don't. Knowing what I know now about this car I would purchase the "R" model but 2016 and on since that was the initial year that all-wheel drive was made.

I'm guessing someone still has Pirelli's on their car!

I remember my first full throttle attempt in my F type (the day I bought it - used), the factory Pirelli tires slipped uncontrollably (car wasn't even accelerating that fast), and I thought maybe I made a bad choice in vehicle. After reading about tires on this forum, switched to Michelin PS4s tires and the car is night and day different. Even with the 605 HP tune, the rears don't break loose unless I'm trying (at least above 60 degrees and on dry roads). So, before switching cars, I'd recommend switching tires - you won't regret it.

Last edited by Chawumba; 09-10-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I'm guessing someone still has Pirelli's on their car!

I remember my first full throttle attempt in my F type (the day I bought it), the factory Pirelli tires slipped uncontrollably (car wasn't even accelerating that fast), and I thought maybe I made a bad choice in vehicle. After reading about tires on this forum, switched to Michelin PS4s tires and the car is night and day different. Even with the 605 HP tune, the rears don't break loose unless I'm trying (at least above 60 degrees and on dry roads). So, before switching cars, I'd recommend switching tires - you won't regret it.
How wide are your Michelins? I am currently 245 in the front and 295s in the rear. I have read that you can go as wide as 315 in the rear.
If you floor it off the start do your tires still spin?

Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Mavian
How wide are your Michelins? I am currently 245 in the front and 295s in the rear. I have read that you can go as wide as 315 in the rear.
If you floor it off the start do your tires still spin?
If you have OEM 20" wheels, 245 in front is narrower than spec. 255 came standard on the F-Type. You can go as much as 265 on font without compromising the tire contact patch. On the rear, you should go no more than 305 on the OEM wheels. 315 tires will be slightly pinched, you may experience excessive wear in the middle of the tread, and traction won't be optimal.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 AM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm still running 295's on the rear, with my aftermarket wheels I can't go wider or I'd get rubbing on the fender lip. With factory wheels, most seem to have no issues going with 305's in the rear, so you may want to consider those. I run 265/30/20's on the front.

And yes, with anything other than binary throttle input (meaning don't just mash the pedal from a stop) I get little or no wheelspin. My "local track" consists of a loop with a few favorite freeway onramps where the 605 and 405 freeways meet and it's perfect for 10 mph to 100 mph blasts, The car is just a riot - right on the verge of breaking loose right up to 60 or 70 mph, but it doesn't (or not more than minor inputs from dynamic setting traction control can compensate for). From a standing start, I feather in the throttle until the car is moving then give it full power and it hooks up and goes, with practice it is very predictable.

With the crappy Pirelli's, I found the car almost undrivable at anything over 50% throttle. There was little warning before the rears would break loose and once spinning, short of cutting power 90% they wouldn't stop. Would have sold the car if those were the only tire option.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant!24

I own a Porsche regardless of money this car is what. Drive now.

Great looking car!!! If I do say so myself it looks vaguely familiar ,!

Old 09-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
CPO means nothing if the dealer that does it is dishonest. At the very least get it inspected by independent third-party shop.
This is a HUGE thing in the resale business. Some sellers aren't even Jag dealerships yet they promote car as "CPO" even though they ave no way to ENSURE that any warranty can be easily and correctly transferred. I personally would NEVER buy a "supposed" CPO Jag from a non-Jag dealership without seeing it in person and verifying that the CPO was ACTUALLY a CPO and that such paperwork was TRULY trasnferrable

Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Also be very careful on terminology - CPO and extended warranty are different. Jag has a Cpo program where they certify the car (ie >100 checks and verifications eg brakes >70pc remaining, tire life, no body damage I believe etc). They typically pair that with an extended warranty.

If you buy a Jag from a 3rd party that was a dealer CPO when previously sold, the warranty should transfer (double check the paperwork!) but it is not a CPO. The CPO inspection was done by Jag when they sold it - unless the person you are buying it from has their own CPO program then it's simply a used jag with extended warranty.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Also be very careful on terminology - CPO and extended warranty are different. Jag has a Cpo program where they certify the car (ie >100 checks and verifications eg brakes >70pc remaining, tire life, no body damage I believe etc). They typically pair that with an extended warranty.

If you buy a Jag from a 3rd party that was a dealer CPO when previously sold, the warranty should transfer (double check the paperwork!) but it is not a CPO. The CPO inspection was done by Jag when they sold it - unless the person you are buying it from has their own CPO program then it's simply a used jag with extended warranty.
+1 Far too many buyers confuse an "extended warranty" with CPO.
Another tangential note: As has been proven time and time again, some extended warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:33 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
+1
Another tangential note: As has been proven time and time again, some extended warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
Agreed, extended warranties are merely insurance policies, even buying an extension from Jaguar cars in the UK, the manufacturer not a dealer, it's provided by a third party insurer.

Insurance as has been stated many times is a business that seeks to make a profit by ensuring revenue from insurance charges exceeds amount paid in claims (plus overhead costs).

Put simply the majority of policy holders are going to receive less financial benefit in terms of claims paid than the cost of the policy or extended warranty. It cannot be otherwise else the company goes out of business due to continuing financial losses.

Last edited by Paul_59; 09-15-2018 at 06:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (09-15-2018)