Sponsored by:

Potential first time Jag Owner - 2016 F-Type S

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020 | 03:25 PM
|
Default Potential first time Jag Owner - 2016 F-Type S

Hey everyone,
Looking for some advice from the group.

I've been drooling over the F-type for years and finally ready to pull the trigger now. I'm in the US and buying one from Carmax in order to get their extended warranty. The details of the car are as follows:
2016 F-type S Coupe, 31k miles, clean carfax except from a damaged reported on the rear (thinking it might have been a fender-bender since photos look fine), 1yr left on the manufacture warranty and I'm buying an extended warranty from carmax like I mentioned. There were a few things that I'm concerned about.
  1. I have 7-days to return if needed and will do a PPI as soon as I get the car. Should I do the PPI at a Jag dealership or independent shop? What are your thoughts?
  2. They said there was a battery issue on the car and they need to solve it before shipping to the store near me. I've heard about Jag battery issues but anything specific I should worry about?
  3. I've heard about a software update in the US that reduced a lot of the cracks and burbles from the exhaust. Would this be applicable for 2016 model? This would be a huge deal breaker for me. Anyway I could check on this?
  4. I'll have the warranty but anything I should look for that wouldn't be covered? Anything specific on the rear given the reported damaged other than bumper alignment etc?
Thanks in advance!

Old 09-19-2020 | 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

IMHO if damage has been reported on a Carfax the car is going to be branded forever. Unless the car price is extraordinarily low I would pass.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020 | 03:51 PM
Veteran Member

There are no "battery issues" in the normal sense. These cars, like all modern luxury cars, need full battery voltage, all the time. If they don't get it, strange symptoms appear. The issue is sub-optimal battery voltage and the cure is very simple: 1) a new and *fully charged* battery (the 2016 car is almost certainly on its original battery). 2) installation of a CTEK battery maintainer (or similar, but the CTEK is the preferred unit; every luxury car manufacturer, including Jaguar, sells these CTEK units under their own brand name - at an inflated price - but you can buy the CTEK elsewhere easily. Get one that has an AGM setting because that is the type of battery in this car) and the use of it whenever the car is not being used daily. End of "battery issues".
Most of the F-Types are not daily drivers. Thus the battery voltage is not kept in the optimal range, and thus the story of "battery issues".
My V6S at rest, no "battery issues":

Further: the use of some OBDII diagnostic devices, when removed, can prevent the car's electronics from shutting down fully. Leave that car for a week and you have a dead battery. Symptom: the triangular red warning flasher light on the console remains lit for more than 15 minutes after the engine is turned off and the doors locked. If this is the case, you simply disconnect the negative battery lead from the stud in the trunk floor, wait a brief time, reconnect, and all is good.

These are fantastic cars! Regarding inspection: have a Jaguar dealer do it - it will be money well spent.

The following users liked this post:
madmax1911 (09-20-2020)
Old 09-19-2020 | 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

I would investigate to better understand the damage. Photos tell you nothing once someone puts on a new bumper and sprays it. See if it has structural damage. What was the cost of repair etc

As above there is a well known battery issue on some F Types - systems don't shut down and it drains it. As per above disconnect battery for 30s, reconnect and all fixed until you next use OBD port (incl some state inspections).

Great car. But plenty around so do your diligence!

Old 09-19-2020 | 10:08 PM

Okay first order of business, stay away from carmax warranty it's a Joke. I too watched doug demuro's video abt it and thought it's the next best thing. In truth it's a waste of money and they always try to deny coverage and are extremely picky about where you take the car. Second, I would go get a PPI at a dealer so if they miss something or in some weird case you can go back to them. Third, go get a CPO car, much better coverage than Carmax, no stupid deductibles, easier to work with, drop it off, get a new jag loaner, done.

Battery issue probably means bad battery, so they are just replacing it most likely, I'd make sure to get an invoice of the repairs done. Best way to find out about the exhaust is to drive it and hear, but my 16 is always at the dealer and I've had the same amount of pops and bangs since the day I got it, so I am pretty sure you are fine. What is the spec and msrp and what are they asking?

damage reported can be as minor as a bumper respray, or a subframe repair and so on. Always try and get the car with a clean carfax, it'll help a lot in the future when it comes time to sell. If you do go for this car, I'd expect at least 18-22% below market, as a car with a salvage title is generally 35-45% of the normal value.

My CPO 2016 S

Old 09-20-2020 | 04:58 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
As above there is a well known battery issue on some F Types - systems don't shut down and it drains it.
More accurately, it's an OBD disconnect issue that runs the battery down - the battery is entirely blameless in this situation.

Old 09-20-2020 | 09:45 AM
|

Wow thanks for all the info, everyone! Incredibly helpful! I'm now thinking of potentially walking away and looking for another one. I'm in Austin, TX and F-Type S' here have been super hard to find that are not thousands of miles away. I'll keep looking. Carmax did say that they don't buy cars with any structural damage when I asked about the hear but not sure if it's just BS. The price is def not widely below market, just 1.5k or so.

My F type will be a daily driver but in this world of COVID i'm not expecting more than 10 miles a day if at all.