Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power failure in electronics

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power failure in electronics

V6 3.0 S coupe, late 2014
Taking time to move around the visual display, all electrics shut down after about 6 or 7 minutes and ignition wouldn't rekindle although car would start. Attempt at using digital tyre inflator plugged into cigar lighter, same issue after 6 or 7 minutes power lost to cigar lighter ignition wouldn't come on?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

First thing to check - low/dead battery.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (10-21-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

At least you're not losing power while driving - my car is in the shop for that now.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 AM

Thanks SinF and BostonKiller, Jag has already had it in to test the battery as it was this that I originally suspected. They gave me the test slip 12.82V and sent me away again. This was in-between the first incident and the latest incident with the type inflator plugged into the cigar lighter. I understand that there are two batteries, one takes care of the electronics and one takes care of the start (mainly because of the stop-star I guess which I always switch off). One is a large conventional AGM and the other a smaller affair but I don't know which looks after which. I'm assuming that whichever battery is used for starting it is ok as the car hasn't failed to start (yet) but it needs looking at as it's crazy if I can't pump the tyres up (digitally) without the power shutting down. The earliest Jag can fit me in with a courtesy car is the 14th of November! I've read about lots of strange power issues (like yours Boston) but none exactly like mine.

The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I also read reports of abnormal charging behavior when trickle-charger used. To reset it, try completely disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Don't have a trickle charge (yet) so will watch out for that.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

The instructions for using the inflator on my car say “The cigar lighter socket should not be used”.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by malbec
The instructions for using the inflator on my car say “The cigar lighter socket should not be used”.
Say wha?

How the heck else would you power it?

Old 10-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Say wha?

Maybe they are implying that you should use the 12v socket under the armrest instead?
I tested the factory pump/compressor a few months ago using the centre console socket (by the gear stick) and it worked OK.
But neither that socket nor the one under the armrest are "cigar lighters", so not sure what they are talking about.
On the XF, XK and XJ you could get a "smokers kit" to convert one of the 12v sockets into a cigar lighter, but I don't think there has ever been any such option on the F-Type.
I suspect the instruction not to use the cigar lighter is a hang-over from the old XF/XK/XJ manuals and JLR didn't bother to remove it for the F-Type manual. Not the only F-Type manual stuff up I know of, the axle stand points shown and related schematics are for the XF not the F-Type.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I also read reports of abnormal charging behavior when trickle-charger used. To reset it, try completely disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes.
10 seconds is sufficient.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Received 297 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Say wha?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:04 AM
Question Power failure F-Type

Hi all, thanks for the posts. Don't forget that the electrics (screen/ignition) shut down after 6 or 7 minutes of playing with the screens to familiarise myself with them (a separate issue to the tyre inflator) AND the digital inflator was not the tyre repair kit supplied with the car but just an ordinary digital inflator (Halford to be precise) powered from any power socket (was the cigar lighter in olden days). I thought that perhaps the electronics shut themselves down after a pre-determined period to protect the battery but a conversation with Jaguar customer services produced no information or knowledge of this? Still a mystery. Car booked in at Jag on 11th November for a diagnosis.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Yes, the electronics will shut off after < 10min if the engine isn't running. That's normal.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:21 AM
Red face Power failure F-Type

Ah! What makes you say this DJS? I've mentioned this to the dealer and to Jaguar customer services and neither has volunteered the information that you have just shared. Why if it's 'normal' does no-one within Jaguar know about i and there's nothing in the owners manual.
How do you know this DJS I'm obviously extremely eager to hear. Thanks . Mike

Old 10-23-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

DJS is just one of the resident gurus around here.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:51 AM

I'd still like to know on what evidence his statement is based and I'm sure he'll let me know.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:54 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

This is with the ignition on, but the engine off. I've sat in my car, adding addresses to the Nav system, and the ignition shuts off after something like 10 minutes. But if you just sit in the car after turning off the ignition, it still shuts off after 10 minutes.

My 2014 manual, under 'Audio/Video overview', states:
Note: The audio system operates with the ignition on or off but will switch off with the ignition and needs to be switched on again. If the engine is switched off the audio system will close down after 10 minutes to preserve the battery.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 AM

Interesting, thanks for that. For audio system can we read 'power to auxiliary power sources' though? If one of us needs to keep our tyres at the correct pressures (notoriously difficult I've found they seem to drop quite quickly) and we happen to have a digital tyre pressure inflator then if the same shut off/close down happens to the auxiliary powers sources then we'll have to pump the tyres up 2 at a time. Fine if this is the case we can plan for it but it's a nice to know Mr. Jaguar isn't it? Don't you think? Thanks for info so far.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:10 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

Don't know about the power points. However, here's an interesting note under 'Tire Repair Kit':

Note: It should not take longer than 10 minutes to inflate the tire. If, after a maximum of 10 minutes, the tire has not yet reached minimum pressure, the tire should not be used.
My experience with the Owner's Handbooks is that it's incomplete or unclear, so it may be that the power points turn off at 10 minutes. I guess I would expect them to, as it looks to me like not just the Nav system powering down, it looks like the ignition turns off.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:16 AM

Hi DJS, I think the reference to 'It shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes to inflate the tyre' means that if it does the tyre is probably too badly damaged to repair safely. Of course, if the repair kit is powered from the auxiliary power sockets then it would be impossible if they turn off after 10 minutes as you say.

It is logical that they power down because it is the ignition that turns off. I'm just surprised (again you're right about the handbook being incomplete) that neither the dealer nor Jaguar customer services know this? At least the car hasn't failed to start and that's the main thing!! Separate battery for that though.

Quick Reply: Power failure in electronics