F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Tailgate Retrofit - Affordable Solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2023 | 11:25 AM
|
Default Power Tailgate Retrofit - Affordable Solution

I know there have been a few attempts over the years to investigate retrofit of OEM power tailgate, but I've not seen anyone find a solution. A friend of mine who has just sold his original F Type R (RWD) has been trying for the last two years to find a way of retrofitting the power tailgate and has just sent me an update from another forum subscription indicating there is now an aftermarket solution. While too late for my friend as he is now lacking said F Type, it did throw up yet another alternative solution to the power tailgate retrofit challenge.

The first solution flagged by my friend is from a company called Autoease (based in China) --> Autoease Up until recently they only offered conversion kits for Land Rover vehicles, but now list a kit for Jaguar F Type 2014 - 23. The company has been established for several years and has tens of positive product reviews, so looks like a reputable company. The Autoease kit currently retails at $699 including postage.

While browsing for the Autoease website, I came across the following alternative F Type power tailgate listing on Aliexpress --> Power Tailgate 2020 - 24 The Seller was only established in Oct 2023 and is clearly a Wholesaler looking to break into the retail market via Aliexpress. Only 4 feedback received thus far, but all 5 Stars. I can't imagine that Jaguar changed the boot lock mechanisim as part of the 'mainly' cosmetic facelift in 2020, so given that the Autolease kit fits all years, I'm pretty sure the Aliexpress kit would fit all model years too. The main thing I noted was the price point for this kit - $320 plus $60 postage. That is extremely good value for something that would cost several times that if OEM. The question of course comes down to the cost v quality/reliablility argument, but given the OEM components are invariably manufactured in China and these kits are sold by the thousands, the motorised struts are likely to be comparable with anything factory fitted.

None of the above is of value to me as I have OEM power tailgate on my MY2018 V6 (hence why my friend wanted it on his), but I thought my discoveries might be of use to others on the Forum who have been searching for a power tailgate solution.

I have no affiliation with either of the companies mentioned and make no recommendations/endorsement of the products they offer. This is simply an exercise in information sharing. I hope it proves useful to someone.

Last edited by genp729; 12-13-2023 at 11:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by genp729:
DJS (12-13-2023), jcb-memphis (12-14-2023)