Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power upgrade for v6s(p380)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 01:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Power upgrade for v6s(p380)

Hi.

I've been learning about the way to increase horsepower for my P380 convertible.

1. Supercharger pulley + Crank Pulley + ECU flash.

this is what I think is the best way to gain more power.

At this point, I start to wonder why Jaguar doesn't use more optimized pulley for more power? when it's stable.

Any ideas?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-F-Ty...sAAOSwbkVbq7ki

what do you guys think of the product above?

I know VAP offers nice setup(pulley+ECU) but cannot get those service as I live far far far away.

Last edited by TAEUCK Goo; 02-18-2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

It's now well established (mainly by Lance - Unhingd) that a smaller upper pulley on the V6 is a complete waste of time and money.
As the linked page says, 6% reduction and 15 hp (on the P380) is all you will get and even 15 hp is probably marketing BS.
This is because the OEM pulley is already very close to as small as you can safely go.
A larger crank pulley and tune is definitely the way to go but I understand you can't get the VAP tune where you are coz you have a 2018 model.
And that you have corresponded with Stuart/Chris at VAP and there is no way around this dilemma for now.
I feel for you!

Old 02-18-2020, 02:25 AM

Thanks Oz,
Right after writing this thread, I am told that supercharger pulley meaning upper pulley is waste of time and money.

Crank pulley + ECU flash is the only best way to gain power.
But as you menioned, because of the country that I live in, that has no reliable expert on this upgrade.
I'm seriously thinking about emigration for this. lol.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The upper pulley actually only offers a 2.5% additional overdrive on the V6. It might offer a bit more torque on the low end when used in conjunction with the crank pulley, but the power starts to drop off near redline because the SC is being pushed beyond its design limits. The upper pulley is also more difficult to install than the lower pulley. All in all, the upper pulley is a big waste of money on the V6 whether used alone or paired with the lower pulley

What year car do you have? If pre-2020 (or maybe it’s 19) the pulley can be done by any competent shop and you can do the VAP flash yourself with the flash tool they provide.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-18-2020 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts
Old 02-18-2020, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by TAEUCK Goo
Hi.

I've been learning about the way to increase horsepower for my P380 convertible.

1. Supercharger pulley + Crank Pulley + ECU flash.

this is what I think is the best way to gain more power.

At this point, I start to wonder why Jaguar doesn't use more optimized pulley for more power? when it's stable.

Any ideas?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-F-Ty...sAAOSwbkVbq7ki

what do you guys think of the product above?

I know VAP offers nice setup(pulley+ECU) but cannot get those service as I live far far far away.
Did you look at the "compatibility list" on the page? If not, your car isn't compatible as per your other thread, you have a 2019. You aren't going to find any short cuts with the newer ECU's.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:24 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks Oz,
Right after writing this thread, I am told that supercharger pulley meaning upper pulley is waste of time and money.
Because the V6 already has a smaller SC pulley.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the good infos Unhingd!
I've so many comments from you and it helps.

Understand.

My car is produced in Jun.2018.
P380 standard.

What do you think?
Am I able to install VAP Pulley set with ECU flash?

You told me that I can do ECU flash by flash tools provided by VAP.
Very interesting As I don't at all know abat this.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:41 PM

Hi SinF.

I just read the thread you linked.
Very helpful, thanks!

Old 02-18-2020, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Thanks for the good infos Unhingd!
I've so many comments from you and it helps.

Understand.

My car is produced in Jun.2018.
P380 standard.

What do you think?
Am I able to install VAP Pulley set with ECU flash?

You told me that I can do ECU flash by flash tools provided by VAP.
Very interesting As I don't at all know abat this.
Since your car was built in June 2018, it’s a 2019 model year. The flash tool will not work. However, if you can store your car for a few months, you could have a local shop remove the ECU (or you could remove it yourself) and you could then ship the ECU to VAP for a “bench” tune. DHL express both ways could minimize the downtime on your car.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:51 AM

Got it Unhingd.

Even I have another car to drive, but sure that I cannnot wait driving F-type after sending the ECU.

better to ask Stuart if he has a plan to visit Korea,
For sure, he won't. T.T

Old 02-19-2020, 10:01 AM
Banned

Got it Unhingd.

Even I have another car to drive, but sure that I cannnot wait driving F-type after sending the ECU.

better to ask Stuart if he has a plan to visit Korea,
For sure, he won't. T.T
Given you still have a warranty and your situation, you might try Racechip via Amazon for a no questions asked return window. RC advertise a 74 HP gain for the P380. My dyno experience with a V8 is their 71 HP claim was spot on, but describes the max gain under the curve. Peak gain is more like 50.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:46 PM

Thx RacerX for the reply.
What kinda RC you are using?

And what you recommand me to buy for P380.
There are varios kinds.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:23 PM
Banned

Thx RacerX for the reply.
What kinda RC you are using?

And what you recommand me to buy for P380.
There are varios kinds.
I have a RC GTS Black on two cars. The next RC model down is about half the price and only loses Map 7 which is worth just a few more horsepower. The pricing is pure marketing, unfortunately.

I've never installed one on a Jag V6, so I can't comment on real V6 gains.

Pros
  • Reasonable dyno gains
  • Bulletproof so far
  • Decent value
  • Removable without a trace
  • Compatible with an upper pulley
  • Comes with a harness continuity plug that lets you remove the controller without removing the harness
Cons
  • Configurability is limited to on/off
  • Bluetooth support amounts to a remote on/off switch - don't buy it
  • Advertised gains are not peak gains but the most HP difference anywhere along the RPM curve. The dyno gains are pretty constant, so its a misleading number. Most tuners do the same thing.
  • With practice you can install/ununistall in about 10 mins, but the first install can take a while.

Two runs on Map 7. Base run with the controller removed. ​​​​​​​All three runs have an upper pulley.

Last edited by RacerX; 02-20-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:26 PM

Thanks RacerX

At the last word, you mean that you change supercharger pulley with race chip?

Old 02-20-2020, 09:50 PM
Banned

Thanks RacerX

At the last word, you mean that you change supercharger pulley with race chip?
Yes I have a V8 so I installed a smaller supercharger (upper) pulley before adding Racechip. The pulley alone adds 30 HP max and 20 HP peak on a V8. The 508 WHP dyno run is just a SC pulley on my V8 S.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Yes I have a V8 so I installed a smaller supercharger (upper) pulley before adding Racechip. The pulley alone adds 30 HP max and 20 HP peak on a V8. The 508 WHP dyno run is just a SC pulley on my V8 S.
But TAEUCK has a V6 not a V8 and as we know putting a smaller upper pulley on the V6 is a waste of time, money and effort.
Now he could get a larger crank pulley instead which we know with an associated tune (such as VAP) makes a yuge difference, but as far as I know we do not know if the RaceChip tune "works" with a larger crank pulley at all let alone well. My guess is the RaceChip tune is designed for the stock pulley and a larger crank pulley won't "help" at all or it could even stuff up the RaceChip tune. Conversely you reckon the RaceChip tune works well with the smaller upper pulley on your V8, and as both the smaller upper pulley and the larger crank pulley have the same effect - to increase the SC boost - then the RaceChip might just work with the larger crank pulley on a V6.
Only one way to find out!

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-20-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by OzXFR
But TAEUCK has a V6 not a V8 and as we know putting a smaller upper pulley on the V6 is a waste of time, money and effort.
Now he could get a larger crank pulley instead which we know with an associated tune (such as VAP) makes a yuge difference, but as far as I know we do not know if the RaceChip tune "works" with a larger crank pulley at all let alone well. My guess is the RaceChip tune is designed for the stock pulley and a larger crank pulley won't "help" at all or it could even stuff up the RaceChip tune. Conversely you reckon the RaceChip tune works well with the smaller upper pulley on your V8, and as both the smaller upper pulley and the larger crank pulley have the same effect - to increase the SC boost - then the RaceChip might just work with the larger crank pulley on a V6.
Only one way to find out!
We know that RC doesn't work with a crank pulley because it runs the stock tune.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:09 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Since your car was built in June 2018, it’s a 2019 model year. The flash tool will not work. However, if you can store your car for a few months, you could have a local shop remove the ECU (or you could remove it yourself) and you could then ship the ECU to VAP for a “bench” tune. DHL express both ways could minimize the downtime on your car.
I am selling a VAP pulley. I talked to Stuartt, he said they have a pulley and tune with they're running tool now from 2018 on. ( they just updated their website.

I may have misunderstood, but check with him. stuart@velocityap.com

Old 03-08-2020, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
I am selling a VAP pulley. I talked to Stuartt, he said they have a pulley and tune with they're running tool now from 2018 on. ( they just updated their website.

I may have misunderstood, but check with him. stuart@velocityap.com
Stuart already responded to the OP in another thread. The newer ECU's either require to be sent to VAP (or pay a lot extra to borrow the tool to program the ECU and I still believe it has to come out to re-program it). The OP doesn't want to be without the use of his car to wait for sending it to VAP. However, there really isn't an alternative for the newer ECU's.

Quick Reply: Power upgrade for v6s(p380)